Pgh-gal's Journal

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Pgh-gal's Journal

Postby pgh_gal » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:26 pm

This is my first weekend on the MWL Plan. I'm always worried about weekends -- DH and DD like to eat out, a lot, on the weekends.

I suggested PF Chang's for lunch today, since the 2 of them *had* to have lunch out. :) I saw a recommendation for the restaurant on this list, and it was really close to the library. (We were there for Storytime.)

I can't believe I was able to sit there, while they were munching on the steamed dumplings appetizer, without drooling. I was really looking forward to my meal - Buddha's Feast, steamed, with brown rice. Unfortunately, it looked more like Buddha's Old Leftovers! :( I ate the entire plate, though. I was really hungry. And I couldn't waste $8. (Do you know how much potatoes and frozen corn and tomatoes I could have bought with $8?!?!)

But it was difficult, sitting there, watching my family eating what I used to eat. Smelling all those wonderful smells. I am determined to stick with the plan, but today's lunch was difficult. It will get easier, right? It will get easier, watching my family eat the foods I used to eat (and LOVE), right?
The rest of the world lives to eat, while I eat to live. ~ Socrates
pgh_gal

Re: Pgh-gal's Journal

Postby ncyg46 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:57 pm

it will get easier....and Buddah's Feast is my least favorite! The veggie lettuce wrap is pretty good there and you get to take home an entire head of lettuce for another meal!!!! :D
ncyg46

Postby lydia » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:25 pm

Something that helps me is that I always carry something to eat like a fruit or carrot sticks before I get in this type of situation. It really helps with the cravings to not be quite as hungry.
lydia

Postby Veg » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:17 pm

Welcome PHG Girl!
nettles & sassafras
Veg

Postby pgh_gal » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:57 am

Thanks nycg46. I'll look for that, the next time we go. :)

lydia, I followed your suggestion, when we went to the mall's food court, on Sunday. :)

Thanks for the welcome, MMXI. :)
pgh_gal

Postby pgh_gal » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:04 am

Well, it's the start of a new week on MWLP. I sure am glad the weekend is over. Eating out at restaurants was tough. But I survived. :)

I am hosting a lunchtime playdate for my DD, this week. I'll have to browse my McDougall cookbooks for some inspiration!

I've noticed that when I weigh myself first thing in the morning, I only see a few ounces of weight loss. But when I weigh myself an hour after I wake up, I see almost a full pound of weight loss. Hmmm. :?:

The weather here in Pittsburgh has been so bitter cold. I really wish I could get out and do some walking in the evenings. I've been using a small step machine in the basement, but I'm in need of some fresh air!

OK, off to make some oatmeal and bananas. And prep my lunch - I'm craving Chips-n-Salsa Soup!
pgh_gal

Pgh-gal's Journal

Postby pgh_gal » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:29 pm

Just to make sure I am on the right path, this is what I ate yesterday...

B: Oatmeal, with cinnamon and bananas (and a tiny squeeze of agave nectar)

L: Curry chickpeas, mushrooms, peas, and tomatoes with rice

D: Black bean "sloppy joes" over potatoes, with steamed broccoli

S: Millet bar, topped with a dab of unsweetened applesauce

Does anything jump out as too much or too little?
pgh_gal

Postby burgh_grl » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:53 am

Hey there Pgh-gal...i'm sorry to be JUST now seeing that you're here...or ~are you still?? I'd be very sad to think i'd missed being able to commiserate w/a homie! I go by burgh_grl myself, so You're NOT alone hun ;-) ohhhhh, there it is, a bit o the burgh lingo for ya!

So glad you found this way of life...i have complete faith that this is the BEST way to go. Right now, i've been doing MM for (now 7 days) to try to lose 15 pounds or so( I know this program really well, but ...darn...i'm really struggling. It is NOT moving. (the scale) I suppose, i should reeeealy start a journal, like it seems everyone has done...perhaps other's who have done well could give me some input? In this life, I've lost 80 pounds...many years back. This 15 is seemingly alot of emotional eating, plus menopause really kickin in...i'm 54. I have MS, so I'm eating a super low fat diet anyway, to manage IT, and it's been hugely successful. What I can do, exercize wise, is limited...sooooo I'm depending on diet, to take it down. I just want to wear the clothes that I HAVE...that used to fit!

Lets see...you're doing MWL right? OR...straight program? For me...Mary's mini has helped greatly in reducing cravings...but I havent really challenged myself in restaurants- yet. Trying to just take these ten days as a stay in, focus, do what i need to do time.

If i can help you, or if you'd just like to exchange some info....fire away! What area of burgh are you from? I last lived in Dormont as a child, then the Moon twnshp area.

Have a GREAT day...ohhh, i miss the burgh. Im in Orlando now. Do NOT love it...at all...but...whadda ya gonna do eh?
at least we do get some GREAT produce :D
Donna
burgh_grl

Postby pgh_gal » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:31 pm

So, yeah...it's been over a year. I thought I had found a new WOE in the Paleo diet. Started that in April 2011. By December 2011, I had lost 70 pounds. Then, in January 2012, I just couldn't eat like that anymore. I was *so* over all the meat and the grass-fed butter and the coconut milk and the eggs. I reverted back to the SAD and gained back 40 pounds in these past 6 months.

This dropout is back, yet again. I think this is my 4th round with MWL. I know almost all the food guidelines by heart...I just have to work on sticking with it and not jumping to every fast-weight-loss diet I hear about...

Today's meals:

Bfast: Oatmeal, apples, cinnamon

Lunch: Bean burrito, baby carrots

Supper: Chips-n-Salsa soup, huge bowl of salad
pgh_gal

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning