turtlegale's ramblings

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: turtlegale's ramblings

Postby turtlegale » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:08 pm

17lbs gone :D . I still feel great . I'm exercising more and sleeping less . I've had depression for years . I can't recall not having issues with depression . I've always thought sleeping a lot was a symptom of depression not a cause . Then I read the mwl book and started setting my alarm clock . I can't get over how much better I feel . I get up at 7am and work out first thing . I'm much less draggy and irritable .

I can button and zip my size 24 jeans still too tight to wear , I started this in tight 26 jeans . I'm hoping in another week or two the 24s will fit well enough to wear .

I'm mainly eating recipes from the quick and easy cook book . I did try to make veggie fajitas with no oil . It turned out great except my pans were to small to cook all the veggies together and being cooked in batches made them cool off quicker . I've ordered a 5 quart non stick pan so I won't be having that problem again .

My friend is sick . We've been friends for 20 years . She has gone from being one of the most high energy people I know to hurting too much to even knit . She can't work , cook , clean , play with her kids :( . First it was a thyroid problem so they took out her thyroid , then the doctors said ms , then they said not ms . She has been to the mayo clinic twice and still does not have the answer . I would love for her to try one of the mcdougall get a ways , but when I mention the mcdougal plan she says it is a fad diet :cry: . Seems like she has tried so many things that did not work .... that she is tired of trying .
turtlegale

Postby turtlegale » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:40 pm

Can you get a food hangover ? My husband's birthday was 2-28-11 . I ate some ice cream , and drank some diet coke I had to take melatonin to get to sleep and woke feeling awful. My face was puffy . I was extremely thirsty and had mucus issues . I'm back on track now it was only one meal that was really off , but ugh that draggy feeling .

I'm still eating kinda between the McDougall plan and the mwl plan . No oil , dairy , or meat , but I still have whole grain bread . I exercising every other day walking to Leslie Samsone walk away the pounds dvs .
turtlegale

Postby turtlegale » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Still trucking along . I'm in my 24s . My scales are messed up . I had veggie enchiladas from the quick and easy cook book yesterday . My meat eating brother was visiting and he even liked them . but complained they were too filling lol.
turtlegale

Postby skinnyrobbie1 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:15 am

Congrats on your weight loss, Turtlegale! And I've definitely gotten food hangovers in the past, without a doubt.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/exercise/wfrVniz/]
[/url]
skinnyrobbie1

Postby turtlegale » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:40 pm

I'm back . I fell off the wagon .Did not go back to eating meat , but oil and dairy I was there . Gained back almost all of the 17lbs I'd lost. I have an appointment with a gastroenterologist next month . I have fatty liver and they think I have some gall bladder issues. I think I'll skip the birthday cake this year lol . Not sure if that is ALL of what derailed me , but it was definitely part of it .

This is day 2 for me . I made a really good casserole today . I used this recipe http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27066 . I have Mexican Bean Soup http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/january/recipes.htm cooking in the crock pot .
turtlegale

Postby turtlegale » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:53 pm

Seven lbs lost :D

The mexican bean soup was too spicy for us . I had some roasted butternut squash left over so I pureed it with some water and added it to the soup. It made it less spicy , a touch sweet , and creamy .

I am losing weight , but I'm not being mwl legal or even Mcdougall legal :( . My mom lives with me and my husband . She has a sweet tooth . She bought some little Debbie fudge rounds the other day and I've had a few of them . But they are gone now . I think if next time she wants snack cakes I steer her towards the ones that are not chocolate I should be okay . Ray ( husband ) is eating the foods I cook without complaint , but buying chips to snack on . But I am not tempted by chips just sweets mainly chocolate .

I'm eating uncle Sam cereal with soy milk . I think the cereal is okay , but the soy milk has oil and is considered a rich food . I should not be having it .
turtlegale

Postby turtlegale » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:04 pm

I've lost 3 more pounds . No more lil debbies . I like cereal ( uncle sams ) with soy milk , but I want to avoid soy milk so I had my cereal as a crunchy topping for my oatmeal today . Not bad kinda like a fruit crisp . I had strawberries in my oatmeal. I want to phase the cereal out and get everything as unprocessed as I can .

I've gotten a few books lately . The engine 2 diet , Skinny bitch in the kitch , and everyday happy herbivore . Skinny bitch is full of oil and fake meat it will be going to goodwill. The everyday happy herbivore looks good has a small blurb from Dr McDougall in the front . I have not flipped through the engine 2 diet yet . I ordered a pressure cooker and vegetarian cooking under pressure yesterday .

I tried butternut squash fries yesterday ....I was going to save some for my husband to try , but they were so good I ate the whole batch . I tried sweet potato lasagna http://vegetarian.about.com/od/vegetarianlasagnarecipes/r/engine2lasagna.htm a few days ago . It was okay , but I prefer my dishes to star one or two veggies not a bunch mixed together . I did really like the sweet potato spinach layer so I'm thinking I might just have mashed sweet potatoes with spinach later .

I'm doing better with the temptations the non McDougallers are bringing in the house . Hubs brought some snack size butterfingers in a few days ago . I was not thrilled , but I did not eat them . Fruit is starting to feel like desert . If I want something a bit more sweet I have a prune . I never knew I liked prunes lol . The individually wrapped ones from sunsweet are tasty .

I'm trying cannellini bean stew , spicy orange broccoli with rice , and cheezy broccoli and rice casserole this week . Broccoli is one of my favorite veggies. I'll also be having some homemade fries seasoned with garlic and onion powder , and I'll be having the squash fries again .
turtlegale

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning