becoming me

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

becoming me

Postby LoriJenny » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:53 pm

Hi, Well, I have known that my cholesterol was high for years, and I have tried diet after diet, and failed each time...each time gaining a bit more weight. I went to the doctor because my arms were aching, I was tested for all sorts of things, but what was alarming was that my cholesterol was 445, and my triglycerides over 700. My doctor wanted to put my on a statin drug, but I've tried those and I always have the muscle spasms, so he suggested that I try Dr. McDougall's plan. I already had some of his books, they've been on my shelf collecting dust for years! I'm so scared...my doctor even said "I don't know how you are still walking around" when I asked him about my arm pain. I'm still unconvinced that the arm pain is caused by high cholesterol, but I am very convinced that it is time for me to change my ways. I'm scared because I have a history of failure in this area...so I'm looking for some hand holding, some friends, some support. Today was my second day and I was missing my "old food". I think I did okay today, but I probably had too much peanut butter...is 1 ounce a day of nuts okay? Walnuts? I like them on my oatmeal in the morning. I have about 50 pounds to lose. My arms still hurt.
I entitled this "becoming me" because there is so much I want to do, and so much I want to be, and this extra weight has been holding me back...and now it's even causing me health problems that are holding me back. I'm scared for some reason to give up my old ways....but I must...so full steam ahead!!!
LoriJenny

Re: becoming me

Postby afreespirit » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:21 pm

You are fortunate indeed to have a Dr. who is recommending Dr. McDougall! LoriJenny, there is nothing for you to be afraid of, except perhaps your poor health. Are you afraid of success? Your old misery and foods are always ready and waiting for you to go back to, anytime you choose. This coming year is going to pass no matter what you do. Why not be 50 lbs thinner and healthier at the end of it, rather than find yourself lamenting that things are just the same, or even worse, next Jan 1?

Read on the website for motivation and support. Many, many here (including me) have failed before, and yet found success after coming to McDougall. Think of your loved ones and how much you would like to spare them the sight of you suffering and dying painfully, down the road. Life can start being better this very minute, with your next meal. Try it and see.
afreespirit

Postby sksamboots » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:54 pm

Lots of potatoes and keep coming here for support. YOu can do this, no fear!!! :nod:
sksamboots

Postby LoriJenny » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:47 pm

Thanks freespirit...you are right of course...the thought of continuing my old poor habits is much scarier than the thought of becoming healthy. Thanks sksamboots...your confidence encourages me. Do potatoes help alot? How?
LoriJenny

Postby afreespirit » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:22 pm

Read my post in this thread to see how I started McDougalling: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=20291

Yes, potatoes help a lot. To learn why do a search for "calorie density" in Jeff's forum and also go to these threads:

viewtopic.php?t=6032

viewtopic.php?t=6916

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7828
afreespirit

Postby AranMC » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:11 am

Oh sweetheart, don't be scared you're among friends now, some of us weirder than others but we don't bite, much... only when we're hungry...lol

We're here to support you and have broad shoulders for you to cry on, and hands to hold yours.. we do this together....

Keep writing in your journal they are great things to take part in...
We'll all pop in and encourage you.. and we'll kick your butt too when you need it.... Just scream help and someone will come running...

To answer your question, Do potatoes help?

OMG YES!!!! Potatoes are the best food ever created.. they have everything, taters are a superfood.. plus they're comforting..

First thing in the morning, microwave a few... that way you'll have some for snacks when you get cravings.. you can use them in a meal..

One of my tricks from one of the McDougall books is to slice the cold baked potato then griddle or dry fry it, no fat, just 'fry' the potato dry until they brown, then have some ketchup or your favourite BBQ sauce to dip in and it's just like eating fries... perfect comfort food...

I have about 80lbs to lose, I've lost 4.5 since Jan 2nd, it's my first week too.. but I have got normal blood sugars for the first time in a year.. this program is perfect, so satisfying in every way.

Keep it up, you'll be happy with it..

*hug*

:D
Aran
"It's not a Diet, It's a Way of Life!"

AranMC

Postby Ege Bamyasi » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:08 am

Last edited by Ege Bamyasi on Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ege Bamyasi

Postby LoriJenny » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:51 pm

Thanks Aran and Ege...You are both so encouraging :) Thanks for the helpful hints and encouragements so much!
I woke up feeling stronger today...and physically better. Seems like my body is shedding excess water now and my arms are feeling a bit better, my abdomen feels so much more comfortable, and I feel much more peaceful and calm, it is really nice! I thought I did pretty good today, I seem to do a little better each day, making minor adjustments. I had oatmeal with about 3 walnuts for breakfast, snacked on alot of vegies, had 1/4 cup of beans and rice for lunch, and the blackbean chili for dinner. I did get way hungry in the evening and I had one piece of Ezekiel Bread with a bit of peanut butter on it. I also walked 2 miles at a good pace with my new puppy dog! He is my commitment to exercise every day for the next decade or more. Today I mostly feel excited about what the future holds, I am looking forward to being thin and healthy! :) It sure does help to come here and read about successes that others have had, hints, encouragments. :nod:
LoriJenny

Postby LoriJenny » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:17 am

YAY!!!! I lost 3 pounds!! 179! :D

Now, I'm gonna microwave some potatoes!
LoriJenny

Postby AranMC » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:29 pm

Enjoy the taters, you've earned them..lol

Congrats on the loss... and keep nuking those taters... they will be your lifebelt if you get cravings....

I made a bean spread today, simply sauteed veggies in a little water and some herbs and spices, then blended them with drained and rinsed 3 cans of beans.. there's enough for me to eat for a week.. for meals or snacks...

*hug*

Aran
"It's not a Diet, It's a Way of Life!"

AranMC

Postby LoriJenny » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:21 pm

That bean spread sounds great! I want to find a good non-fat hummus recipe, I tried one today and it is pretty good, but I'd like to find something zestier.

Breakfast: 2 potatoes, nuked and pan cooked

Lunch: 3/4 Cup of Rice, 1/4 Cup of Beans, loads of fresh vegies

Snack: 10 small (quarter size) rice crackers.

Dinner: Went out to dinner at a Mexican Restuarant, I had a bean burrito (with pinto beans not refried beans) and no cheese, and a green salad, no dressing.

Exercise: 1 hour of walking with my puppy.

All in all I felt pretty happy about how I did today, I thought I made the best choice I could at dinner, and I also made some home made non fat hummus, which is just okay...not terrific.

I told my 18 year old son what I am doing and why, he was very supportive, I told him about the great potatoes I made, and he wanted to try them, so I made him some and he really liked them too! Why was I making them with oil all those years when they are so good without? Anyway...like I said, all in all a pretty nice day. :-D
LoriJenny

Postby LoriJenny » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:49 pm

Day #5 of being a vegan:

Breakfast: 2 small nuked potatoes, pan cooked, blackberries

Lunch: 3/4 Cup rice, 1/4 cup beans with tomatoes, cilantro, and green onions, cut vegies with about 2 T of non-fat hummus.

snack: 8 small rice crackers

Dinner: 1 Cup of Blackbean chili, 1 small potato

Exercise: Walked 2 miles, 35 minutes with my puppy, also cleaned house for a couple of hours.

Good thoughts: Being a vegan makes me feel better, it's healthier for me, my arms don't hurt as much, it's less expensive, and the food is delicious! I feel good about finally taking care of myself! I'm really not as hungry as I thought I would be...and I'm surprised by how energetic I feel! :mrgreen:
LoriJenny

Postby LoriJenny » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:16 pm

Sad day for me today...it was a victory that I did not turn to my comfort food though. It was my 6th day of being a vegan, I've lost 4 pounds, and I have not strayed despite a not so great day.
LoriJenny

Postby lunaboyd » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:25 pm

Sorry you had a rough day :(

You are doing an amazing job so far. When is your next doctor appointment? I'll be really interested to see how much you improve. I bet it'll be remarkable. You are lucky to have a doctor who pointed you in this direction!

Your lunch yesterday looks yummy. It gives me some ideas for lunches this week.

I love your journal title - I have a little more to lose than you (about 60 pounds, I think) and I can really relate to the idea of finally becoming who I think I am inside. Keep it up!
lunaboyd

Postby LoriJenny » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:33 pm

Thanks Luna, your post was so encouraging to me!! My next Dr. Apt is on Feb. 4th...I hope to see a good amount of improvement! One idea that I've been using is this, since I am only cooking for one: I make a recipe, like the blackbean chili, then I divide it up into servings and put them in individual Glad containers and freeze them. For lunch, or dinner it is so easy to pull it out and pop it in the microwave....that is why I keep having the same meals...that is my same lunch for the next few days.

My 7th day as a Vegan...

Breakfast: Oatmeal with about 3 walnuts

Lunch: Rice, beans, cilantro, tomatoes, green onions, and cut vegies

Snack: Rice crackers

Dinner: Blackbean chili, 1 slice of Ezekiel Bread with peanut butter

Snack: Rice Chex cereal

Notes:
~I only noticed afterwards that the Rice Chex have sugar added...will have to be more careful to read labels before eating!!

~All in all, a successful day, I did not have time to formally exercise today, but I did do about a 1/2 hour of yard work, as well as being on my feet most of the day at work.

~I had alot of cravings today...the cold weather is sort of an eating trigger for me...I did have some peanut butter...but I didnt have the chocolate chip cookies and hamburger with french fries that I would have had just last week.
LoriJenny

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals