J's elimination diet

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: J's elimination diet

Postby Timaca » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:34 pm

I'm glad the cortisone shot is helping you!!

Wishing you all the best,
Timaca

Postby jamietwo » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:09 pm

Thanks, Timaca!
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby jamietwo » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:56 pm

I talked to a friend who is very knowledgable about drugs, and also gets the food connection. She supports my theory that doing an elimination diet while I'm under the influence of the cortisone shot is pointless. I must say that the temptation to eat some of my <McDougall-compliant> favorites that I haven't had in ages is tempting!

She also raised the possibility that I have eaten the same few foods for so long that my body may be rejecting them.

So it would seem that I should not introduce new foods while I'm flaring or while the cortisone is suppressing my inflammation.

Suggestions welcome!
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby Timaca » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:35 pm

From what I've read (and I don't have lupus, this is just in general....) one should feel as well as one can before introducing foods so you will have a clear idea if the food is OK for you or not. It can be so hard to wait......

I also know that one should test a food, then wait 72 hours to see if there are issues or not.....again, so time consuming.....and hard to do.....

However, another approach is try some of the foods that you've been wanting to try (maybe spacing them 3 or 4 days apart), even if you aren't feeling your best, and if you don't feel any worse then that food could possibly be OK for you. And mentally, it might be healthy to allow yourself a "treat" of a new food!!

I would probably do that if I were you.....just to see.....and to enjoy something new to eat.

Let us know if you try something!! Good luck!!
Timaca

Postby jamietwo » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:41 pm

Timaca,

Thanks for your suggestions! I should clarify that I feel terrific. The cortisone shot eliminated all noticeable signs of inflammation and I feel great. Its totally amazing. So I question the validity of introducing new foods for testing purposes when my inflammation is being artificially controlled. Does that make sense?
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby Timaca » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:49 pm

Yes, that makes sense. I'm glad you are feeling so good! :)

I think I would still give new foods a try..... just wait 3 days in between each one..... obviously you will know if a food doesn't work.....and if one seems to, then put it in your "I think this food is OK" category......

When is the shot supposed to wear off????

Best,
Timaca

Postby jamietwo » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:38 am

Timaca,

Nobody knows for sure ... possibly months ...

Thanks again for your help!
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby jamietwo » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:00 pm

I've determined that it won't do any good to do an elimination diet until the cortisone shot wears off. I've discovered I can eat oats, honey, lettuce, grapes, oranges, bananas, popcorn... I had 2 squares of Mary's oat waffles (made with blueberries instead of raisins) and maple syrup - no reaction. I took a can of Eden's Caribbean rice and beans on a trip - no reaction. Its amazing and scary all at the same time.
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby Timaca » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:32 pm

Jamie~ I was just thinking about you so I'm glad you posted an update! So, the foods you listed, they are some that you would normally react to if you weren't under the effects of the cortisone shot?

Best,
Timaca

Postby jamietwo » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:15 pm

Timaca, I'm glad you asked that question! I was eating those foods (except oranges, waffles, Eden R&B, and honey) with no apparent problem before my flare. I could never figure out if gf oats and popcorn were a problem or not. So maybe they ARE ok! LOL That would be amazing! One way to really test it would be to eat something with tomato or potato ... but I'm afraid to try!
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby Timaca » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:07 pm

I understand being afraid to try a food. Maybe if you try just an ounce or half an ounce(if you have a scale), or 2 tablespoons if you want to test something out that you know is an issue..... so if it doesn't work, your recovery won't be so horribly long....

I need to retest rice..... oats and wheat are definitely out....I even had a reaction to a skin prick test to those two foods.... Today I did eat a small red skinned potato. Guess I'll find out how that goes!

hang in there....glad you are doing well! :)
Timaca

Postby jamietwo » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:43 pm

Thanks for stopping by, Timaca! Hope your potato test went well!

We got some Engine 2 hummus (traditional and spicy black bean - yum!) and brown rice tortillas the other day. We use the tortillas like pita bread to dip in the hummus. Very tasty! : ) I think I can eat pretty much anything right now!

Our closest Whole Foods (the only place we can buy Engine 2 food) is about 50 miles away. There are two other WF stores within 10 minutes of that one. We wanted some E2 cinnamon chips, but store 1 didn't carry them anymore. We called store 2, but they didn't have any, so we went to store 3. They had 8 ... and they all expired in September! I asked if we could open a bag to taste and then get them at a reduced price. They ended up giving them all to us ... as well as two of the quinoa chips that expired in October! It was awesome to get a deal (they tasted fine), but it tells me that the E2 foods aren't selling well here. Of course, it has been months since I was there, and I've only bought the chips once. There's not much of a plant-based population here, never mind oil-free...
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby Timaca » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:08 pm

Glad you are able to eat more foods Jamie! :)

Oh, wow, you have to drive a long way to get to a Health Food Store! I live in a fairly small city but we are fortunate to have a Whole Foods, Sprouts and Natural Grocers....the farthest of which is a 15 minute drive for me (at the most)!

Wishing you lots more better days with increased food choices!

Best,
Timaca

Postby jamietwo » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:39 pm

Thanks, Timaca!

I'm eating almost normally now (haven't tried potato or tomato and don't think I will). Not only is that amazing, but my rheumatologist ran some follow-up labs on 11/4. My white blood cell count and red blood cell count always come in low, and they were normal! My platelets have been running low, and they are back to normal! My SED rate is back to normal too! Is it any wonder I feel so much better!

I'm doing as much as I can while I feel like it, because I don't know how long this will last... My gratitude count is running high! :nod:
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby Timaca » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:03 pm

i'm so happy for you Jamie! :-D Praying for a long healthy period of time for you!!

Best,
Timaca

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals