Amy's new journal..new start

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Amy's new journal..new start

Postby burgh_grl » Wed May 25, 2011 3:09 am

Hey Amy...boy, i'm still thinking of your quote from Wizard..."you always had the power"...how TRUE it is!!Anyway...just keep GOING!! As you learn, you'll get even stronger..TRUST the program.

Wanted to throw in a suggestion for how to get some movement in...regardless of weather. The Leslie Sansone power walking dvd's are nothing short of -awesome. Anyone can do it, in a very small space, & with what EVER energy you hve on any given day!! I live in central Fla. where it is most often TOO hot, to go out walking, which is the only exercize I can do, so these disc's are perfect. Not saying i do them with consistency YET, but...i have several to do when i'm able.

Keep coming back ...stay the course. Every day is a lil different, sure, some better than others, but remember...it's all part of the "journey". Big hugs to you!
burgh_grl

Postby AmyLa » Wed May 25, 2011 7:29 pm

Thank you, Burgh-girl! I am looking for some ways to get aerobic exercise in when it's too cold or rainy to walk. I will check those out.

Had my doctor's appt. today. She was concerned about the spike in glucose over a 6 month period (95--> 120). Also my triglycerides are high. I had shared with her info about Dr. McD, so today I took in Dr. Esselstyn's book to share that with her. She is okay with what I am doing. I think she is curious what the impact will be in 3 months after I stick to this. I am having an ultrasound done next week to check my gall bladder. Even though the pain is gone, it was tender when she pressed on it today, so we will check it out.

Today I ate too many beans and am paying for it!! :oops: Note to self: don't have beans every day! Or too many in one day.....The good news is that I feel really full! :lol:

It occurred to me that this is the perfect opportunity to prove how this program works. I just had my blood done and saw the doc, restarted a MWL plan and am committed to sticking to it. We are checking my blood again in 3 months, so it's a good chance to prove to her that this works. Even more reasons to stay with it.
Amy in NH

[link=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wUWE41V/]
[image noborder]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wUWE41V/weight.png[/image]
[/link]
AmyLa

Postby Chile » Wed May 25, 2011 8:39 pm

Amy, I returned recently to McDougalling, too....also a graduate of the 10-day program, after which I swore I'd never eat SAD again. Well, I did. I refuse to post my weight because I'd be embarrassed if Dr. McDougall saw it by any chance; embarrassed because I am quite a bit heavier than when I left Santa Rosa (and even heavier than when we later went to Costa Rica). He seemed pretty disappointed in me in CR when he saw I'd not lost much weight. I was disappointed in me, but still had a fabulous time there.

I've realized that emotional eating is a HUGE part of my problem sticking with the McDougall program so I've been reading lots of books on that aspect. It seems to be helping my resolve.

Good luck with making the changes you need to make. We'll both eventually make it to "Star McDougaller" status. Why not start writing your success story now?
Last edited by Chile on Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chile

Postby burgh_grl » Thu May 26, 2011 6:20 am

AmyLa wrote:Thank you, Burgh-girl! I am looking for some ways to get aerobic exercise in when it's too cold or rainy to walk. I will check those out.just start with the one mile, though i got the 3 mile & only do one m. of it. she's GREAT! and -you cn go at your OWN pace! :-D

Had my doctor's appt. today. She was concerned about the spike in glucose over a 6 month period (95--> 120).yeah...this is a concern, but you can take care of this!! Also my triglycerides are high.thank God you hve this plan! YOu have all the tools..you can, do this! I had shared with her info about Dr. McD, so today I took in Dr. Esselstyn's book to share that with her. She is okay with what I am doing.that's good, but...it doesnt matter..YOU KNOW what you're doing, and this is the exact prescription you NEED. don't let this get away from you! I think she is curious what the impact will be in 3 months after I stick to this.my uncle is a doc..he doesnt BELIEVE that patients will STICK to any change in eating habits. he was shocked at MY success with managing MS for 22 years now. It can be done!! I am having an ultrasound done next week to check my gall bladder. Even though the pain is gone, it was tender when she pressed on it today, so we will check it out.ok...keep us posted!

Today I ate too many beans and am paying for it!! :oops:it does take time...but the body's acceptance will come ;-) Note to self: don't have beans every day! Or too many in one day.....The good news is that I feel really full! :lol:i know, i know...i LOVE the. but..they are caloric..gotta keep tht in mnd too.

It occurred to me that this is the perfect opportunity to prove how this program works.Indeed. and...mst importntly, SAVE YOUR VERY LIFE!! I just had my blood done and saw the doc, restarted a MWL plan and am committed to sticking to it.Are you going to do a mary's mini to kick start it, or just go ? I'm wishing i'd begun that way now. I'm still dealing with cravings, though God knows, not near as much as 60 days ago!! We are checking my blood again in 3 months, so it's a good chance to prove to her that this works. Even more reasons to stay with it.

90 days...perfect!!! you'll be WELL on your way by then. :-D GO FOR IT!!
burgh_grl

Postby burgh_grl » Thu May 26, 2011 6:26 am

Chile wrote:Amy, I returned recently to McDougalling, too....also a graduate of the 10-day program, after which I swore I'd never eat SAD again.hey Chile...burghgrl here. don't beat yourself up so hard...we're ONLY HUMAN, and this is all a part of our unique experience, frustrating as it is...it's what's carrying us to the other side...the success side!! Well, I did. I refuse to post my weight because I'd be embarrassed if Dr. McDougall saw it by any chance; embarrassed because I am quite a bit heavier than when I left Santa Rosa (and even heavier than when we later went to Costa Rica).But you have, the FORMULA in your head girl. You're doing it right NOW!! :D He seemed pretty disappointed in me in CR when he saw I'd not lost much weight. I was disappointed in me, but still had a fabulous time there.ohhhh, how I'd LOVE to go on one of those trips. GAWD, in my dreams!!

I've realized that emotional eating is a HUGE part of my problemYEP!! I second that! sticking with the McDougall program so I've been reading lots of books on that aspect. It seems to be helping my resolve.WONDERFUL. there HAS to be something that helps our mind to stopping this!! You can see the recommended reading list on my blog for titles.Thank you!!!

Good luck with making the changes you need to make. We'll both eventually make it to "Star McDougaller" status. ;-) Why not start writing your success story now?

great idea!! you're living it now...why not ?
burgh_grl

Postby AmyLa » Sat May 28, 2011 6:26 pm

It's great to hear how other people are doing, good or bad. Chile-- I know what you mean about being embarassed about the Dr. Seeing your weight. I feel that way too. But I have to remember that I am doing this for ME. Having said that, I admire how Dr. McD has spent most of his life and energy trying to help people get healthy. That's quite a committment. I figure the best way I can honor that is to really give this my best effort for 3 months, until I see my doctor again.I would LOVE to be able to show her that this works.
So, Chile, keep at it. Try it again. Keep coming here and reading and sharing. Seeing the success other people have, may inspire you too.

Today was challenging. We went out to lunch at a restaurant not of my choosing. There were some things I could have that wouldn't be too bad, so I had a rice wrapped veggie roll. I also ordered something called "cous-cous succotash". Wouldn't you think that would be cous-cous with beans and squash? Well, it turned out to be Israeli cous-cous with cheese. I had one bite, and had to leave the rest when I tasted the cheese. Fortunately the rice wrapper was enough, and I was fine. We had had a big bowl of oatmeal for breakfast; planning ahead. I am proud I had the strength to turn down the pre- meal bread and dipping sauce, and other tempting tidbits on the menu. So that was good. There will always be temptations. As long as I can get through them the best way possible, I'l be okay.
Amy in NH

[image noborder]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wUWE41V/weight.png[/image]
[/link]
AmyLa

Postby AmyLa » Mon May 30, 2011 4:12 pm

A very good weekend all in all, and despite some challenges. My hubby and I did a lot of walking this weekend, also, which is something I need to do more of. The weight is coming off very slowly, but that's okay, I already feel better. The acid reflux is almost totally gone, and I have more energy than before. I'd like to lose 20 pounds over the summer, but that may be dreaming. Still, it's a goal in the back of my mind.
I have an ultra sound on my gall bladder on Thursday; that will tell me what the next step is with that. The pain has not come back, so maybe I am in the clear.
A friend of mine, who is my age, just lost 30 pounds, doing Atkins. She was telling us about all she is eating---exactly the opposite of what I am eating! :shock: The only thing different are the veggies. People look at her, who has been so successful, and look at me, who is struggling, and think, "Hmmm.....which way really works the best?" Well, I hope by the end of the summer I can prove my point.
I am grateful to be on this plan and thankful that Dr. McDougall dared to buck the Atkins/protein based establishment to share it with all of us.
Amy in NH

[/link]
AmyLa

Postby burgh_grl » Tue May 31, 2011 5:52 am

AmyLa wrote:A very good weekend all in all, and despite some challenges. My hubby and I did a lot of walking this weekend, also, which is something I need to do more of. The weight is coming off very slowly, but that's okay, I already feel better. The acid reflux is almost totally gone, and I have more energy than before. I'd like to lose 20 pounds over the summer, but that may be dreaming. Still, it's a goal in the back of my mind.
I have an ultra sound on my gall bladder on Thursday; that will tell me what the next step is with that. The pain has not come back, so maybe I am in the clear.Tht sounds really positive !! The BEST with that!!
A friend of mine, who is my age, just lost 30 pounds, doing Atkins. She was telling us about all she is eating---exactly the opposite of what I am eating![color=#0000FF oyyyyy....and OUCH, i know how tht hurts...but not for long! [/color] :shock: The only thing different are the veggies. People look at her, who has been so successful, and look at me, who is struggling, and think, "Hmmm.....which way really works the best?" thts so so so short sighted.we know better! Well, I hope by the end of the summer I can prove my point.exactly. ...stay your course!you will prevail!
I am grateful to be on this plan and thankful that Dr. McDougall dared to buck the Atkins/protein based establishment to share it with all of us.
He's got the courage of his convictions and many, many years of PROOF positve that this IS the way. We must TRUST the program, and ~ourselves! I know it can be trying at times...i'm trying..really TRYING to lose just (???) 15-20 lbs, and believe me, it is STUBBORN. The scale is just not moving at all. i'm BEYOND frustrated...but damn it...i'm digging my heels in now.. :evil:
burgh_grl

Postby AmyLa » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:10 am

I can always tell when I am not eating well----I avoid this group! :oops:
Well, the only thing to do is to come back here again and regroup.
I have been having problems with my foot: very swollen bunion (thanks, Grandma!) has prevented me from walking, much less exercising. (No, I don't have a pool or lake nearby and the ocean is too cold right now!) It is doing better, but I am still not able to walk more than a couple of blocks.
Anyway, that said, I have done okay with eating; just a few slip ups. But when I do, acid reflux reminds me to be good! That's still one of my goals: to get rid of that Rx for the reflux. So far I have held it at bay.
Today is a new day: close to 100 with no A/C....should be fun!
Get housework done in the morning while I can still breath. Good news is, it's too hot to eat! :lol:
Amy in NH

[/link]
AmyLa

Postby burgh_grl » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:45 am

AmyLa wrote:I can always tell when I am not eating well----I avoid this group! :oops:i hear tht...it's ok thouh. most of us do.color]
Well, the only thing to do is to come back here again and regroup. ;-) [color=#0000FF]riiiight!

I have been having problems with my foot: very swollen bunion (thanks, Grandma!) has prevented me from walking, much less exercising. :mad: Arrrgh...my MS is acting up some too...FATIGUE. It's always going to be something, but..we CAN eat correctly..evn if thts ALL we can do, it's a LOT! (No, I don't have a pool or lake nearby and the ocean is too cold right now!) It is doing better, but I am still not able to walk more than a couple of blocks.all you can do is all you can do!~
Anyway, that said, I have done okay with eating; just a few slip ups. But when I do, acid reflux reminds me to be good! That's still one of my goals: to get rid of that Rx for the reflux. So far I have held it at bay. :-D
Today is a new day: close to 100 with no A/Cwe have that ALOT, but...central air. it's the only way to survive in Fla. ....should be fun!
Get housework done in the morning while I can still breath. Good news is, it's too hot to eat! :lol:
we've gotta ride out the summer the best way we can. jst sty mindful of the goal! :nod: BETTER HEALTH..~.for life!
burgh_grl

Postby amyla51 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:44 am

For me , this has been a crappy summer, so far. We went out to Seattle to see our grandchildren, and picked up a cold. That wouldn't be bad, but flying back turned the cold into a raging ear infection, which won't go away. It is finally getting better, but I have had no energy for about 3 weeks. Plus every doc I went to said something different, so I now have an apothecary full of OTC meds. AND I developed a reaction to a new med, because one doc, who questioned whether I was "really allergic" to penicillin, decided to prescribe a penicillin derivative. (P.S. The answer is "YES" I am really allergic!" Hives are so much fun!)
Anyway, the good news: I ran out of my reflux meds, and didn't want to refill it (yet, again), so I decided to go cold turkey and try to kick it for good. I have now been 1 week off of the reflux med, and have no needed anything, even Tums, for 4 days! I am very careful what I eat....absolutely NO fat, no peanut butter, no chocolate. Oddly enough, acidic foods don't bother me much, so I have been eating loads of tomatoes and onions, etc.
Today, when I stepped on the scale, I was finally down back below 200. Okay, so it's 199.8, but I'll take it!
On the down side, I have not done much exercising, but I will start walking again when the temp drops below 90.
I feel good. I can't imagine me in this heat with the extra 30 pounds I used to carry.
Amy in NH

"Potato Power!" (courtesy of Jeff Novick)
Nothing is impossible to a willing heart.
"On Plan and planning to stay that way." (Thanks, Letha)
amyla51

Postby Rosey » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:40 am

AmyLa wrote:I can always tell when I am not eating well----I avoid this group! :oops:
Well, the only thing to do is to come back here again and regroup.
I have been having problems with my foot: very swollen bunion (thanks, Grandma!) has prevented me from walking, much less exercising. (No, I don't have a pool or lake nearby and the ocean is too cold right now!) It is doing better, but I am still not able to walk more than a couple of blocks.
Anyway, that said, I have done okay with eating; just a few slip ups. But when I do, acid reflux reminds me to be good! That's still one of my goals: to get rid of that Rx for the reflux. So far I have held it at bay.
Today is a new day: close to 100 with no A/C....should be fun!

You know I used to thank my grandma for mine too but then a doctor told me that they are actually from wearing your shoes to tight.
Rosey

Postby AmyLa » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:33 pm

Today is a good day. (why is it easier to post on good days?)
I am usi g the Happy Herbivore cookbook and trying out some of her great recipes. At the beach today and all this week, so as long as I plan, i should be able to stay on plan. (just have to avoid the fudge and taffy!) 8)
My plan is to walk every day, even if it's just for 15 minutes, and build up to 30 . No excuses! :nod:
Amy in NH

[/link]
AmyLa

Postby janluvs2heel » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:21 pm

Hope you are staying cool, Amy.

Good for you that you ditched those meds. I notice that also, when I am McDougalling there is no heartburn, but if was to stray, yes, I will get it. Haven't had it for quite a while now. I am hoping that your ear gets better soon as well.

So glad to see you back!! :nod:
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby sksamboots » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:56 pm

You are doing awesome. Keep on keepin on!!! :nod:
sksamboots

PreviousNext

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning