Nomikins Gets Real

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Nomikins Gets Real

Postby nomikins » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:56 am

In the interest of self-ass kicking, I'm going to get back to posting daily menus. I've done pretty well, but I just feel more accountable knowing so many are reading this journal.

I'm revisiting calorie density. Seems a refresh is in order. Jeff's forum has a good discussion going. His calorie density DVD is also worth watching over and over.

Looking forward to spending my lunch break doing some street walking. :eek: Yep, it's gonna be a warm day (going up to 58 - woo!), so I will take a nice long walk outdoors. If I can get out a little early to pick up FIL from daycare, I may just go for a little run as well. Oh, the possibilities......

B: coffee w/ ½ T. creamer; steel cut oats; 1 T. chopped walnuts; 1 T. maple syrup; splash unsweetened soymilk

L: potatoes, broccoli, triple succotash (homemade from dried limas - very good!), curtido (salvadorean slaw - very good and fat free)

S: orange

D: BIG SALAD (lettuce, tomato, cuke, onion, carrots, cold potato chunks, kidney beans)
nomikins

Postby jsl » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:00 pm

I'm headed out in a few minutes to take Charlie, my shepherd, for a nice long walk...I love this warmer weather - I wish it would stay!
-Jenni

jsl

Postby nomikins » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:00 am

Never made it out for the walk yesterday. I'm deep into learning a new software platform for my job, and things were clicking yesterday, so I kept on working up until time to pick up FIL. Then DH and I had yoga....

B: coffee with ½ T. creamer, steel cut oats, 1 T. chopped walnuts, splash of soymilk
L: potatoes, broccoli, triple succotash (homemade from dried limas - very good!), curtido (salvadorean slaw - very good and fat free)
S:
D: Stewed eggplant and tomatoes with spinach over rice
nomikins

Postby nomikins » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:16 am

Happy Friday! Feeling groovy. I got up today and did chores instead of plopping right in front of the computer. All the work is done, so I can relax when I get home. All the laundry is even done!

I lost two more pounds this week, putting me one pound away from my pre-holiday stupidity extravaganza.

B: coffee w/ ½ T. creamer; steel cut oats, 1T. maple syrup, 1T. chopped walnuts, soymilk
L: broccoli, triple succotash, potato
D: zucchini "lasagna" from New McDougall Cookbook (subbing mashed white beans for the tofu, as we have no tofu), pasta
S: apple, potato (I post snacks, but I don't always eat them)

Six mile run tomorrow.
nomikins

Postby kkrichar » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:57 am

Wow, Nomi! Congrats on the 2 lbs and for planning that 6 miler tomorrow! You rock. I love your enthusiasm and your re-committment. I, too, had holiday craziness that we shall never speak of again and have 4 more pounds to go. I'll just follow your lead! Thanks for setting a great example.

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Postby Joe927 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:33 am

Hey Nomikins (or should I say neighbor!),

I'm a Durham, NC native and I own Hot Club of Durham (the Swing Dance Studio that's in the same building as Crossfit).

I just started Crossfit two weeks ago and am really enjoying it. It's also nice to know that there are other McDougllers doing crossfit. We should definitely meet! When do you do WODs?

Joe
Created by MyFitnessPal.com
Joe927

Postby raimel80 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:04 pm

I just read your whole journal. I love it!! You are an inspiration. This is such a great forum for all of us to keep the isolation that eating this way can sometimes bring at bay! Thank you for sharing your journey.
"Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward"

raimel80

Postby kirstykay » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:16 pm

Congrats on the 2 pounds! YOu're doing great!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby nomikins » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:57 am

Hi Joe! Neighbor! Wow, a McDougalling Crossfitter! I just went to a play at ManBitesDog the other night and saw the Hot Club sign lit up. I'm just loving the ever growing DIY district in that part of Durham!

Well, unfortunately, I have not been going to crossfit since September. I just could not make it to class on a regular basis due to eldercare demands that were very unstable at the time. However, we got things stabilized, and I'm looking to get back. That is a great group of people at the box (Paleoheads and all, lol). I'm hoping to find a way to get back soon, though! I'm scared, lol. So, with regard to your dance club, can total newbies come out? I have been trying to talk hubby into trying swing dancing.
nomikins

Postby nomikins » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:01 am

Well kids, I've been AWOL from the board but not from McDougalling. I've been keeping it real and have a three pound weight loss this week.

The weather has been improving and I started walking again at lunch time for an hour. I have a loop that's about 3.8 miles and I really feel terrific afterward. Gonna make it a daily point to get out and walk until the oppressive heat and humidity of summer hit here. Then I'll figure out what to do next (run in the morning just as the sun is coming up, most likely).

Gonna get in an eight mile run today. I'll try to check in more; I'm just REALLY busy right now: busy at work, and spending more time moving around and doing stuff than just sitting and playing online.
nomikins

Postby Starchyme » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:36 am

Nomikins, great going! Glad to hear your news. Keep us posted.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby nomikins » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:26 am

It was a gorgeous day yesterday, sunny and high 60s. I was working on a window reglazing project outdoors (repurposing windows to make a cold frame for the garden). So, being sunny and "warm", I had to wear shorts (just because I could). All of my shorts are too big! Last summer, most of them were so tight, I could not even button/zip them. Yippee! :D

So that's the good.

I gave in and ate a piece of sake fruit pie because DH had a slice of cherry pie. Damn period and her cravings this month. I'll live. :roll:
nomikins

Postby kkrichar » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:20 am

Yay on the shorts!! That's such a great reward. Good job also on losing the holiday weight and then some!!!!! I'm still fighting with 4 lbs. Sigh.

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Postby sksamboots » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:43 pm

YAY on the shorts!!! That has to feel good :nod:
sksamboots

Postby nomikins » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:45 am

Yay, down a pound. Getting ever closer to the 160s and will soon be able to say I'm not obese (according to the BMI charts).

We had a gorgeous day on Wednesday, just about said hello to 70 degrees. I celebrated by taking a 3.5 mile powerwalk before work. In fact, I have been walking daily, and got in a run or two as well. I've been taking a walk on my lunch hour (just under four miles!) and plan to continue every day that it's not raining, until summer's oppressive heat and humidity descend. Then I'll switch to getting out at the butt crack of dawn.

My company has provided all employees the option to obtain a free Fitbug pedometer. We get points for hitting 10,000 steps a day, particpating in league sports, doing races (running/walking, biking, triathlons), joining health club, and other activities. We can earn up to 6400 points per year and redeem for some decent prizes. The pedometer uploads the points to the fitbug website, and the points are tallied on a site called Vitality. It's great to get rewarded for activities I enjoy and have been doing; however, this is an impetus to really be consistent.

Speaking of exercise, my running is improving with the lower weight. WOW. I am still super slow, but my pace with run/walk is at a solid 13:30 minutes/mile. To put that into perspective, I was at an 18 minute mile at my first half marathon. I improved up to 14-15 min/mile with running training, but the lower weight is really enabling me to speed up. Less bulk to carry, duh! It only gets better from here.
nomikins

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals