Nomikins Gets Real

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Nomikins Gets Real

Postby nomikins » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:14 pm

I don't think I've ever kept a journal here. So, I've been around the McDougall block so many times, I'm dizzy. Anyone remember VegSource? Sheesh.

My all time highest weight was 230. At 5'2", that's quite a fat assed tub of lard. But, before I got that obese, I was diagnosed with IBS. Being told there is no cure, I did some research (out of books! before the internets!) and found it's caused by diet and that it could be healed with diet. I cleared up the IBS and the world rejoiced. Over a couple of years, I blimped out, and lost and regained about 40 pounds over and over and over and over.

I forget how I found out about Dr. McDougall, but I remember the first go round, I lost 14 pounds in a month, following MWL. Then, I gained and lost, gained and lost.

After getting down to 185 a few years ago (I lost 23 pounds in six weeks that time), I went to the beach with some friends and had a week of beer drinking, cheese eating, anything goes food extravaganza.

Stabilizing at 190 for a long time, I got really complacent. A bite here, a drink there (or several), and before you know it, I don't know what eating program I'm following. Meat has been out of the picture for years, so I wasn't quite full on SAD. It certainly was not low fat vegan.

Since June, I've been in a free for all. My MIL passed away after an illness (and severe dementia), and now my DH and I are thrust into caregiver for his dad. The stress has us going out to eat alot, and we always have a couple of drinks when we go out. Weekends, we drink a six pack each and eat a half a pizza, chips, guac, etc. But since I'm not eating meat, hey it's not all bad.

My arrogance has caught up with me. That, and a good old fashioned dose of some serious introspection about what I really want for myself. Watching the decline of my in laws really drove that home. At 42, and surprisingly good health in spite of my obesity, I'm running out of time to make the permanent changes to allow for a healthy second half of my life. One thing I do have going for me is that I really like to exercise and be active. I'm a marathoner and I like to do CrossFit.

My commitment to all of you, Dr. McDougall, my DH, and myself (most importantly), is to follow the program. My wonderful husband is fully supportive and has always appreciatively eaten all the food I cook, so I don't have to ever prepare two meals. The month of October is my reset button. I'm looking forward to getting back to the right way to LIVE! I feel terrific.

Thanks for reading. :)
Last edited by nomikins on Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
nomikins

Re: Nomikins Gets Real

Postby SactoBob » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:34 pm

Great post and great attitude. I don't see how you can fail.
SactoBob

Postby nomikins » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:58 pm

Thanks for the good words, Bob.

So, here's what I ate today.

Breakfast:
  • Coffee with soy creamer (going to experiment with using less creamer)
  • Banana bread oatmeal (came up with this at work - fork mashed an overripe banana, mixed in 1/2 cup oats, and one cup of hot water. Nuked for 1.5 minutes - creamy and delicious)

Lunch:
  • Elmo's Diner Veggie Plate: black beans, mexican rice (rice with peppers, onions, tomato paste), steamed broccoli, turnip greens, 1/3 english muffin before I realized what I was doing - I suddenly realized, I didn't want that - stop it!)

Dinner:
  • Crab Fries with catsup (potato wedges crisped in my convection oven and sprinkled with old bay seasoning)
  • Lentil and spinach soup

I have a seven mile run tomorrow. DH just asked what we will be eating pre-run. After some silence, I dejectedly said, I guess we could have a toast and peanut butter. He replied that it wasn't a challenge, and we don't need to eat the bread. So, we are going to try the banana oatmeal. See how that feels in the belly. If it's too fibrous, I may try a bowl of steamed rice next week.
nomikins

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:56 am

Hi there Nomikins

reading your first entry, I am reminded of myself EVEN MORE than when I noticed we have the same current weight and the same goal weight. I lost and regained over the year, as well. Up, down, Up, down. About 40-60 lbs off, then on, ad nauseum.

McDougall was my first real diet, EVER, back in mid-90's when I was my highest weight (about 325, but I didn't own a scale) so...when I am down to my proper weight, it will have taken me more than ten years, but my grand total will be about 175 lbs...wow...

the point being, I'M DOING IT! and so are you. So let's do it, chick :D yeah!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby nomikins » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:26 am

Sounds great, buns! Let's cowgirl up together!

Well, Bob posted in another thread about journaling more than once a day. I think that has merit.

It's a gorgeous sunny morning here in central NC today, and I did my run. So nice to be out and the temperature finally fell under 200 degrees, lol.

We had our banana oatmeal pre-run, and it worked out quite well. Just bananas, oats, and water. I measured out the creamer in my coffee, and found I used three tablespoons. 45 calories. Tomorrow, I'll use two and see how that goes.

Lots of errands, shopping and picking tons of peppers today. I will roast them on my gas grill, then peel and freeze. Also will make my version of sririacha sauce. Carrying apples and water for snacks.
Last edited by nomikins on Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nomikins

Postby Birdy » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:21 am

Hey Nomikins! You and I have both been knocking around on this board forever. Vegsource - oh yeah. I can appreciate just how you feel because I'm in the same boat on a smaller scale. I don't know if it's helpful to you or not, but I'm going to take the suggestion someone posted of journalling every bite both on and off plan. For a long time I got discouraged journalling because I was embarrassed to post about the off-plan foods. That just served to reinforce the behavior. It doesn't make total sense to me and time will tell, but I think "full disclosure" will help me and maybe you as well.

I'm so impressed by your marathon running. I ran for about 10 years and just loved it. An Achilles injury sidelined me and I've become less and less active over the years (I'm 60). So you've got one very important piece of having a healthy life already going for you. And I disagree that you're too late to change and have a healthy second half of life. I say, "Go for it!"

Have a great weekend :-D
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby nomikins » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:38 pm

Hi Birdy, I recognize you from Vegsource. If you can't run, can you walk? Let's get active together!

Here is my food log for Saturday.

Breakfast
  • Coffee with soy creamer
  • Banana oatmeal (bananas, oats, water)

Lunch
  • Basmati Rice cooked with cardamom pods
  • Broccoli and potato curry.

Snack
  • Apple

Dinner
  • Burritos - rice, kidney beans simmered in salsa casera, 1/4 avocado, habenero salsa (homemade!), two 6 inch Trader Joe's low carb, high fiber tortillas (7 gr fiber per tortilla)
  • Cabbage salad - cabbage, green onions, cilantro, jalapeno pepper, lime juice, salt and pepper, oregano
  • Kiwi

We picked gazillions of different types of peppers, a few eggplants and three tomatoes. I am going to miss the tomatoes once the frost hits.
nomikins

Postby f1jim » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:19 pm

I agree, you can't lose. Your words tell the story so many before you have told. Enough of the ups and downs, the flagging commitment, and week to week frustrations. I'm pulling for you and anxious to watch your progress! As Jeff Novick says, time and adherence.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:37 pm

I remember VegSource too....

So here we are. Both in the same spot.

You know what has helped me more than anything is to eat cooked greens. I don't know why, but I never learned to like them. Also really paying attention to salt.

It sounds like you have quite the garden. Ours was a fizzle this year, combo of weird weather and too many trees reaching over into our yard hogging all the sun from the tomatoes. :angry: The peppers did pretty good, though!
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby nomikins » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:17 am

Thanks for stopping by, Mrs. D and debbie. Mrs. D, I love greens. All kinds and the bitter greens don't scare me at all.

So, being the first chilly night since March, probably, DH and I enjoyed a fire outside in our little fireplace thingee (like you see at the big box stores). Instead of slamming beers and tucking into pizza and chips, we had a nice mug of hot tea and looked at the stars. After that, we went in and watched TV for about an hour. DH wanted a snack, so we had a potato and some grapes.

We didn't go out to eat at all on Saturday! Yay us! Being DINKS, we really can spend some dinero going out to eat and drink. Instead, we went grocery shopping for some veggies and beans at a mostly Latino supermarket. It's the cheapest produce around.

Oh, and our coop had organic russet potatoes for $2.99 for a 5# bag! So I got three bags! Yippee!
Last edited by nomikins on Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
nomikins

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:20 am

OK, I'm stealing your sig line. Just wanted to warn ya.

edit: Dagnabbit, the thingee only lets me use like 275 characters, and I wanted to modify it and use my own tag line. So I went with mine instead. But I do love yours!
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby nomikins » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:27 pm

So far, so good today. Oh wait, I stopped for a coffee and had half and half. Not so good. I should have at least asked for soy milk. Need to start thinking better.

I baked sweet potato muffins, adapting this recipe to use sweet potatoes in place of applesauce and chopped apple in place of craisins. Subbed whole wheat flour for spelt. I left out the oil and added more almond milk. http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=21951.0

Breakfast
  • Coffee with 3TBSP soy creamer (damn, meant to do two).
  • Banana oatmeal

Snack
  • Grapes

Late Lunch at 4PM
  • Potatoes with kale and mushrooms (McDougall October 2009 newsletter)

Dinner
  • Bowl of black bean soup, topped with 1/4 chopped avocado, habanero salsa, and chopped cilantro
  • 1/2 sweet potato muffin

We have an appointment for my FIL at a geriatric specialty clinic tomorrow (monday). It starts at 8:30 AM and will run for four to five hours. We were instructed to bring snacks; it's going to be a long morning. So, I'll bring the muffins, baked potatoes and maybe some bananas. I'm looking forward to finding out the cause of my FIL's dementia and memory loss, and hoping that something will respond to treatment. If not, we'll be armed the information to make informed decisions on his future care.
nomikins

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:14 pm

I like your bullets...going to the forum-for-trying-new-things...

wait, what? FIVE HOURS! :shock: girl, I'll be praying for ya :)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Anna Green » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:53 am

Nomikins, thanks for sharing your journey. I think it will help you and the rest of us too. I am impressed with your ability to run.

I have been dabbling in exercise for a while now. I am definitely more fit than a year or so ago but this weekend when I realized I could only jog about fifth a mile without huffing dramatically I felt disgusted. So I am getting a pedometer and I am going to gradually increase till I can do a mile. After that I'll see. I don't want to hurt my joints and like other forms of exercise like hiking and stair climbing. My goal for stair climbing is 50 flights- I can do about 25 tall flights now. For some reason though I just want to be able to jog at least a mile. Not sure though what a good expectation is to have though in terms of by when? I want to push myself but be realistic. I'm afraid if it takes too long I won't do it.

Got any wisdom to share?
Anna Green

Postby nomikins » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:09 am

Hey folks, yesterday was a whirlwind and I'm still getting blown around today. I had a moment of weakness yesterday which almost ended in me eating a plate of whole wheat pasta, but I got a hold of myself and made it through.

Monday food log:

Breakfast:
  • Coffee with soy creamer (3 TBSP)
  • Banana Oatmeal

Lunch:
  • Elmo's Diner Vegetable Platter (baked sweet potato, broccoli (2 servings), black beans), ½ slice whole wheat toast with 1 TBSP strawberry preserves

Snack:
  • 4 pieces veggie sushi

Dinner:
  • A bed of chopped romaine lettuce, topped with:
  • Potato Skins (baked)
  • Hearts of palm bbq with "sauteed" onions and peppers (browned Mary McDougall style)

Snack:
  • Cup of Valerian tea with 1 tsp. honey
  • Sweet potato muffin

Anna, thanks for stopping by. I will take the time to give you some detail on running later today. I am a mentor for a beginner runner training program and have helped hundreds of women (and some men) get from 0 to 5K. People of all shapes, sizes and fitness levels.
nomikins

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals