Caroveggie's Marathon Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Caroveggie's Marathon Journal

Postby funcrunch » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:28 am

Glad to hear you have work, sorry there aren't more vegan options for you. I hear you on being the odd woman out for not drinking. I haven't had an alcoholic drink in over two years now, and in many ways that is seen as stranger than my mostly-vegan diet. Though at least with alcohol there is absolutely no need for it in the body (I don't buy the studies about wine being good for you; it's in the grapes, not the fermentation process). I don't believe I ever would have started drinking at all if it weren't for social pressure; I've never liked the taste of alcohol unless it was heavily disguised with fruit juice and/or sugar. So stick to your principles!
funcrunch

Postby Caroveggie » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:49 pm

yeah, thanks for your support. I guess I will be the lone sober one over there. Oh well. I'll be happier inside anyways.

I happened to find my own copy of Pain Free that I'd put in my gym's locker. Who knew, I just happened upon it today. So I read it on the bus back home, the section on hip pain and the last chapter about upkeep, once you've fixed the pain you're experiencing with their exercises. I wished I'd studied this book long ago, it's got excellent advice about mobility, motion, and range of motion that's contrary to popular notions but makes more sense. For instance, building up only certain muscles in the gym (without realizing it) and so on.. I recommend this book. It is by Pete Escogue, by the way. And I happened to find it by reading a post a while ago on this forum. I remember it came highly recommended, and poking into it today, I see why. So I'm feeling better about my hip injury. If I start the exercises outlined in the book (have to do some more in-depth reading in the book first) I'm confident the pain will be a thing of the past. Also, while I want to continue running, I'm now thinking I want to add some more variety of motion to my life.. just not sure what or how..

So for breakfast it was curry and rice and for lunch it's the same. I'm about to go eat it. Late start for lunch but I was out and about, kinda busy, and didn't want to spend money. I'm being better about money these days too.
Caroveggie

your update

Postby Caroveggie » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:27 pm

Well it has been a long time and I have fallen off the marathon running wagon. I think I'm deciding that is a goal that is not completely dear to my heart, as I guess I have a feeling that 26 mile runs is A LOT of running, wear and tear on the body, and commitment to get up to.

However I am happy to get back to becoming a daily runner again.

I am happy to report in my time away from this website that at least my hip is a lot better.

I'm a little embarrassed to report that I've slipped in the form of having dairy, more processed foods, and in manufactured soy products, so I thought I'd start a new journal to help me get back to the basics. All along I've felt in my heart that (thanks to Dr. McDougall) I understand the best way to eat and I know, for the most part, how to enjoy eating and living this way. I think I've just been missing the focus. So time to resuscitate the journal to track myself.

And I enjoy starting my day with a morning run, so that is going to be my other reason for journalling, to record my progress on getting "up to speed" with that.

I'm starting today. I have to think up a new name for my new journal and then I'll link it to this one.

Especially because I've started writing on hubpages about healthy diet (I usually link to this website since he provides so much good info for free, no ads, and the forum is well moderated), I think it's best to walk the talk and get my butt in gear!

I slept in and then had a first-run-in-a-while this morning so I've already started on the right foot. I haven't had anything to eat yet because I like to waste time browsing online, writing, and reading more about nutrition, etc.

So anyway I'm hungry now, I'm going to go down and get a bunch of grapefruits for $3.99 and have that for my late breakfast.

Hope everyone enjoys the Labor Day!

I'll be back later with the link to the new journal. I'll think of the name on my walk to get the grapefruit.

Seriously I've been thinking of grapefruit all morning... they're so good..
Caroveggie

Postby f1jim » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:14 pm

Yayyyyyy
My favorite runner is back!
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

late update

Postby Caroveggie » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:43 pm

Hi Jim and other visitors,

I forgot to come back and start up a new journal thread. My walk gave me some ideas like starting a website to share info and also a website called Trying New Produce that would have pics of new produce I'd try and info and description about it (like what's in it that fights cancer, etc.). I got partly started with that but I have to connect the domain to the hosting and haven't started on that (just busy with other things).

I'm back here to commit to Dr. McDougall's program. I'm going to move away from processed foods since I'm more overall compliant when I'm doing MWL-like eating. Not that I ever eat meat, but I get lazy about processed foods, soy substitutes, and sometimes dairy (in the form of cheese usually). To combat that, I think I'm going to read more about nutrition, particularly about the addictive effect of cheese (caso-morphine thingy) and how it helps cancer cells grow.

Tonight I bought pomegranate seeds (anti-cancer berries), brussel sprouts (anti-cancer cruciferous), and 4 cans of chickpeas (one of my most favorite starches).

I only ran about once or twice last week, although one time I did get almost all the way to Arguello, which is around 30 blocks or so. I used to be able to go all the way to 6th and back, which is around 40 minutes or so. Also my running could more accurately be called jogging, but I do try to speed up when I remember to, as long as it still feels ok.

I'll keep up on this site with my progress. I also think I'll be re-reading some nutrition books since that tends to make me very compliant.

Haven't decided on a new journal name so maybe I'll keep this one. Please forgive me for not keeping up with the marathon goal though.

I came back and edited this because it got really long. I'm poking around the site again. I hope there will be an Android version of the McDougall Recipe app. I'd buy it if I had an iPhone. Hmm.. I do have a Mac computer, maybe I can get it..

I'm getting tired but maybe I'll watch The Starch Solution before getting to bed. Bonsoir mis amis.
Caroveggie

Postby Caroveggie » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:58 pm

This journal is being abandoned along with my desire to run a marathon. I'd rather not get injured again and risk losing my ability to run.

I still want to run regularly, so for right now I'll keep it at doing 5Ks..

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24625

Also I'll keep accountable on that thread.
Caroveggie

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals