Caroveggie's Marathon Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Caroveggie's Marathon Journal

Postby Caroveggie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:07 pm

Tonight I really feel like going for a jog/run but my stupid hip is still not all better.

:(

Anyway...

wonder how long it'll take.

Today I stocked up on the ingredients for Jeff Novick's potato cauliflower curry. The only thing I forgot was the ginger. Maybe garlic, I think I have some. And an onion. Everything else is ready. I might make it tomorrow.. I have a busy day though so maybe I'll hold off, even if it does only take 10 minutes. I'll be traveling a bit throughout the day. I'm probably going to work out with a friend, biking, and later on a play in the East Bay with my sis. It looks like it'll be a fun day.

I think I'll start swimming soon. I miss aerobic activity.

By the way, my heart rate was checked recently and it was 53 I think. In the 50s which is an athlete's heart rate! I was happy to hear that. :) Me, an athlete. :lol:
Caroveggie

from Jeff Novick's Fast Food DVD

Postby Caroveggie » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:26 pm

I made the cauliflower curry. It's delicious.

I'm not sure how long it took, but it did take longer than 10 minutes. That's because I used a fresh onion and garlic, and a fresh cauliflower bunch rather than frozen. I also completely forgot about the potatoes, so I had to cook two potatoes, but I did that at the same time the pot was heating up. So with all the chopping, it took about the time it took for the rice to cook in the rice cooker. I'm eating it with a combo of white rice and chopped iceberg lettuce. It's really good. The cauliflower is a bit crunchy, not super crunchy, but just a bit. I wonder if I'm supposed to steam it a little before? It's still enjoyable though. I used Madras curry, the kind in the metal can. There's no point my trying a different brand, I'm never happy with them. So I stocked up on 4 cans of the Madras curry so I won't have to worry (when I use curry, tend to use a lot.)

I even included the chopped collard greens, which I found at Andronico's.

Once I finish up the curry (which may take a while) I want to try another one of his recipes. Maybe another one that can go with white rice. I'd bought a Costco size bag of it. But I wish I'd just gotten brown. Anyway, it's still yummy.

I'm still favoring my hip so no running to report, but I did bike across the whole city this morning, including hills. Biking doesn't seem to harm the hip.

Have a lot of organizational type stuff to get to. It's beautiful out.
Caroveggie

Postby Caroveggie » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:03 am

Just created and added a ticker to my signature. I think this'll help me with sticking to MWL. I made it a road and a running girl since that's me. :-D Like running.

I'm going to run some tests to see how the ticker works/make sure I'm doing this correctly.

Well, honestly this is getting me stumped. I think I have to wait until another day and my weight change update to see if I can make a chart from it.

My goal is to fit into my older, smaller clothes. I don't have any exact weight goal, just sticking to MWL and my exercise program ~ which is running, weights, and yoga/dance or something for flexibility.
Caroveggie

Postby simoncat » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:25 pm

Hi. After reading the posts here about running and running injuries, I thought I'd post. I am a 54 year old woman who has been running 33 years and though I am no expert, I thought I'd throw something out there for those of you that have injured yourselves running. One thing I have noticed about people who injure themselves is that they are usually striking their feet really hard on the ground or road. In fact, I can usually hear them coming from down the street. If you strike your feet hard, that goes through your whole body and is hard on all your joints. My advice is to run soft-footed so you don't hear your feet striking the ground. I also lean forward (Chi running). Also, don't overdo it. Running should be fun!!!! I have done a half-marathon and am happy with that but never want to do another. I know too many people who have injured themselves doing really long runs and don't run anymore. I'd rather never run a long run and just enjoy the fact that I can run and hope to be doing it until I'm 80 or so. Plus, you can always do 1 minute sprints throughout your runs to improve your cardio. I think the trick is that you want to like running and not overdo it so that you injure yourself or grow to dislike it. Just a thought. :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/whvr8sU/]
[/url]
simoncat

Postby Caroveggie » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:47 am

Hi Simoncat, thanks for your great advice, I am taking it to heart. I really miss running and my hip is not helping. Once I heal up and am able to run again I'll try the light-footed running as well as leaning forward. I still have to read my Chi running book but swamped with other stuff also, so I appreciate your pointers!

Today I woke early and wanted to run but hip is not cooperating, so instead I biked around. It's not the same workout but it's something. I'm thinking this evening I might swim.

I weighed myself and noted I lost 5 pounds overnight. :lol: Whoa. Still look the same. :?

At least now my room is getting to be very much in order and I have all my smaller clothes ready for when I'm ready.

I'm going to make another curry to finish up the cauliflower. I tend to be an early riser now and I like that it gives me plenty of time to start my day. I woke at 4 am but snoozed a bit.

Hope everyone has a happy day.
Caroveggie

Jeff Novick's curry

Postby Caroveggie » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:00 am

Made the cauliflower curry and I am a happy woman. 8)

First I started the rice in the rice cooker. I chopped the garlic, onion, ginger, cauliflower, and potato (which I also cooked in the microwave), then added to the pot:

2 cans diced tomatoes (a la Costco)
1 can chickpeas
some frozen peas
some frozen chopped collard greens

Then mix and heat, add the Madras curry, and at the end, it was all ready and so was the rice so approximately 20 minutes prep. Jeff gives tips to make it even faster but I like my rice cooker (save money on bulk rice also) and I like using fresh onion and garlic.

It's so delicious!

I really want to make Longevity soup since it seems pretty popular, and I don't even know what's in it. I'll check out the rest of the DVD as I have time.

Have to start my day now.
Caroveggie

the good ol' wait trick

Postby Caroveggie » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:28 am

Hip is still being pampered. I biked this morning. It feels like a small workout compared to running.

Since I'm up early I cracked open my Chi Running book and read the Intro and a little of Chapter 1. I'll use the time while my hip heals for a slow and thorough reading of Chi Running.

Thank goodness for my tax refund. Saw I received it this morning. I'm going to treat myself to the cheap massage at the massage school with the hope that it'll help my hip.

Breakfast is some curry and rice.

Working on some projects like my mosaic table, French, GMS, and after the mosaic table, have some sewing projects which will be fun.

While I hope my hip heals up soon I'm going to be patient with it. In the mean time, I'll be reading Chi Running, so when I am all good and ready, I'll be able to start running again with less fear of injury.

No great progress to report healthwise. Yesterday was an emotional day for me. Let's just leave it at that but say today I am back on track and determined to stay on track. ;)

I'm thinking of going for a swim later today. That sounds fun. I hope the day turns out hot and the pool is over heated. I can tell even with swimming though I'll have to be careful about my hip. :crybaby: s i g h

As for "the good ol' wait trick" besides waiting for my hip, it's this (I've discovered):

If I wait after I eat or before I eat and really consider if I'm hungry or just craving, I do better. I know with McDougalling I can eat however much I want, but at the same time, that can be abused if I start letting in other stuff that's only slightly McDougall compliant, it's that slippery slope thing.

I'm better if I do the all or nothing type thinking. For instance, I had a bowl of rice and curry and don't have much more room in my tummy, yet I still wanted another bowl. But instead of just grabbing it (knowing my tummy was full enough) I just waited and wrote this post instead. I've noticed this in the past but thought I'd write as a reminder and for others ~ I do better when I pay more attention to my real hunger and stay very strictly on plan. By do better I also mean feel better, in all ways, emotionally, physically, etc. Now I can pass up the 2nd helping since it seems it was more craving then real hunger. I'm much better with all of this when I'm running, by the way. I think it's because of the effect of the exercise on appetite. I just easily eat as much as I need, enjoyably, when I'm in a good, healthy active mode that regular running gets me in.

s i g h again. See why I miss running?! :lol:
Caroveggie

note

Postby Caroveggie » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:42 am

I guess I should note that by all or nothing I mean being very strict with plan (MWL). Yet it's not really the "nothing" part if I mess up. I mean, I don't give up, I just go back to strictness with MWL since that works better for me.
Caroveggie

my 1 week challenge idea

Postby Caroveggie » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:58 am

Here is my idea:

I was reading other threads and I think it'd be fun to set myself up for a small, doable challenge of 1 week, then I'll weigh in. The week will be strict MWL with only one exception ~ white rice. If I didn't have to watch my $ closely I'd insist on brown rice or quinoa instead. But I have 2 big pots full of white rice so that's what I'm going with.

After I finish the first week, I'll start another 1 week challenge for myself, ending with the week's weigh in which I guess will be on Tuesdays since I'm starting today and it's Tuesday.

Anyone, of course, is welcome to join, although this may not be as inspiring for some as the 100 day challenges. But I think it'll work for me since my problem is not so much staying vegan as staying a healthy vegan. :wink:

I'm looking forward to this.

My first 7 day challenge, first week, begins today. So far I'm golden! :-P

Then each time I "win" another week challenge, it'll just add to my momentum. I'm gonna keep track, it'll help me stay on track!
Last edited by Caroveggie on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caroveggie

Postby f1jim » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:03 am

Hi Carolyn
I'm curious about the white rice. After a few weeks I couldn't go back to white rice on a bet. It now seems so tasteless. Are you just liking the taste better or using a bunch of it up? Inquiring minds want to know. Also, please get out and run a bunch for me, okay?
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

rice

Postby Caroveggie » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:08 am

Hi Jim,

Thanks for posting. I like both but white rice was more bang for the buck at Costco (trying to save money since I have few work hours). I actually prefer quinoa usually to brown rice, except for some dishes, like curries. But I do like brown rice too, just really like quinoa. :)

So I put the rice in these pots in my room (I live a bit non-traditionally with 3 roommates in SF, what can I say) ~ and just trying to use the rice up with Jeff Novick type meals. Which, judging by the curry, are very yummy.

I'd like to do a bunch of running for me! And I'd run a lot for you too but I hurt my hip so I'm waiting for it to get better. Only biking and swimming right now. Even walking I'm pretty slow and careful with.

Good reason to read my Chi Running book! Learn proper running form..

Once I finish the white rice I look forward to experimenting and finding a variety of brown rice I really like. I can get them bulk at Rainbow. Who knows, maybe I'll become like you and detest white rice?
Caroveggie

Postby funcrunch » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:04 pm

I agree that brown rice is tastier and that's the only kind I make at home, but I don't mind the white stuff when eating out if that's all I can get. Especially in sushi, which is really hard to find in brown rice form and there's such a minute amount it doesn't much matter. But I've actually had lunch at Chipotle once a week for three weeks now, and they only have white rice, and it's not too bad as they put cilantro and lime in it. I'm more concerned about the white flour tortilla, which also has oil in it :(

Heal that hip and then let's both get out there running again!
funcrunch

Postby f1jim » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:13 pm

Since we are all local we should all meet up at Hommas Brown Rice Sushi in Palo Alto. All their rolls are made with brown rice and they have a super vegetarian menu. Definitely worth the trip!
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby funcrunch » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:43 pm

f1jim wrote:Since we are all local we should all meet up at Hommas Brown Rice Sushi in Palo Alto. All their rolls are made with brown rice and they have a super vegetarian menu. Definitely worth the trip!
f1jim

Sounds yummy! I'm in as long as I can get a ride or get there on Caltrain :)
funcrunch

Hommas Brown Rice Sushi, Palo Alto

Postby Caroveggie » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:03 am

Great idea! Let's see if any one else wants to join us, maybe we can post in the lounge? When are people available? Julie, I can drive (and any one else coming from SF, my car seats 4 comfortably, 5 a little squishy).

I just started work at a restaurant but I'm picking up shifts so no set schedule. So maybe for a lunch? My one set shift is a Sunday brunch. Too bad the place isn't vegetarian.

I've been doing some research about bursitis, and other runner's hip injury stuff. I'm going to be a little more proactive with my healing since massage and stretching, strength training can help with healing. A few years ago I gave my dad a book called Pain Free, I think by Pete Escogue, so I'm going to ask to borrow it (hopefully he'll still have it) and see what stretching exercises might be in there, recommended for hip pain.

I've been biking and have to walk since in SF, so I think the walking is what's bothering the hip since biking doesn't seem to hurt at all.

I also thought I'd try swimming, though haven't had time, the weather, or haven't had my equipment (suit, contact lenses case, etc.) Just gotta plan a time for it and get it done. Maybe sometime today.

Since my usual exercise is out of the question for a while (and I haven't been able to really up the intensity and get a good sweat going from biking) ~ looks like I'll have to try other things and also be pretty strict with MWL. The restaurant where I work is a German soup kitchen and only has 1 vegan meal. Too bad, it's free food. I tried it, it's Lentil soup. It's ok but I don't know the oil content. I already don't drink (much) and not eating much there, I hope I can blend in with my coworkers.. seems I'm always the odd one out because of the alcohol thing. I'm a bit worried also since bosses want me to be having a good time and I'm going around still learning and a little worried since I'm better at serving than bussing (since with serving you know exactly what's going on with your tables and bussing is more guess work.) Anyway, at least I'll finally have more money coming in. Hopefully. It's only been 1 day of training so maybe I'm stressing too much about it.

Funny I was just thinking I don't mind being the odd one out because of being vegan ~ I'm used to that and so comfortable in my vegan skin that nothing phases me about it. But I don't drink much (at all) and that seems to be a harder one for people to put their head around than veganism. People even assume I've had some problem with alcohol in the past or something. I don't even know what the deal myself why I don't drink, but it's just not part of my life. Nor do I want it to be. Since alcohol is all toxic to every cell in the body... I'd just rather not go there.

Looks like I should get a hold of a tennis ball or something like that to help massage my hip. I had a student massage from NHI but the guy was a bit hesitant so I didn't get a lot of effect out of it.

I'm still pretty stuck on the Jeff Novick curry. Only this time I made it with a combo broccoli and cauliflower (from a frozen bag) since I couldn't just find cauliflower. It's not bad but I think I prefer just the cauliflower in this dish. And I'm someone who really loves broccoli.

Hope people enjoy the day and do well with their McDougalling. I'm still going to work again on keeping MWL despite the lentil soup last night. The more strict I am with myself the better I'll do. Hopefully if I'm strict from here on to Tuesday (the next weigh in) I'll still be good with my 1 week challenge. (Which I'm going to extend another week indefinitely anyways :-) )
Caroveggie

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals