~My Journey To Good Health~

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: ~My Journey To Good Health~

Postby f1jim » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:01 pm

For your example I can give you dozens where someone was struggling and one of the regulars offered their advice to help get them over the hump. It happens almost daily on the boards. I haven't seen someone beat down over not doing this or that but I am open to stopping it if it happens. We have a long list of those ready and able to help those that may be having a tough time. They thanklessly offer their experience and advice and I want to make sure it's not taken for granted or misconstrued as some sort of selfish behaviour. This is in large part what the forums are here for. For those that can read the material and need no further help, that's wonderful. For those that are getting nowhere, we encourage this sharing of experience. The one thing I do NOT want to see is this help discouraged. I have met and embraced many of them personally and I can assure you their motives are pure and their help has turned around dozens of people not making progress.
I'll be the first to admit, many struggling are dealing with a host of issues, including self worth and depression and it's possible feelings are sensitive. We can all do better in regard to those issues but to casually dismiss the valuable help offered would be a mistake too. I am glad to here you are making personal progress, however it comes.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Pacificfords » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:04 pm

I continue to be amazed, as do my doctors, when I get my labs done each month. I talked with my nurse today and with the exception of my kidney function and my iron - all numbers are in the normal range this month. My creatinine did go down, but that is not something I get too excited about anymore. It tends to fluctuate and has stayed between a 3 and 4 for a year. However, I always love it when it does drop because it means it is just that much closer to normal. :) Today it was 3.0. When I was first diagnosed it was 5.3.

What I feel really good about is that I have done this on my own with the assistance of all the wonderful doctors online like Dr. McDougall that offer information at no charge. I wouldn't be where I am without that. My medical doctors just monitor, but rarely give much advice in lifestyle and diet.

I needed to lose 50 pounds to be able to see my transplant team for my transplant assessment and I am within 20 pounds. My weight now is the lowest it has been in over 17 years. It feels pretty damn good and NOTHING is distracting me this time. I will never see the 300's again in this lifetime. I am not posting weekly weights because somehow I feel like I will jinx myself. ;) I am just quietly reaching my goal and then I will post some pics. :mrgreen:
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
http://healthyandknowit2012.blogspot.com/
Pacificfords

Postby janluvs2heel » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:48 pm

"I needed to lose 50 pounds to be able to see my transplant team for my transplant assessment and I am within 20 pounds. My weight now is the lowest it has been in over 17 years. It feels pretty damn good and NOTHING is distracting me this time. I will never see the 300's again in this lifetime. I am not posting weekly weights because somehow I feel like I will jinx myself. I am just quietly reaching my goal and then I will post some pics"

Congratulations PL. I can see in the picture that you have lost a lot of weight. I can hardly wait to see the pix that you post.

Hope everything goes well with your transplant.

Glad that things are working out for you and I am happy to see you back.
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby eri » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:43 am

Hi PL! I wanted to pop in and wish you much luck & encourage you to keep up the good work. When I re-started McD'ing I read a bunch of journals & your old ones were a fave of mine. Last year I donated a kidney to a family member, so if you have any questions about the process or the surgery I might be able to help. My cousin would also probably be glad to talk to you. Her creatinine also fluctuates between high 2s & mid 4. She isn't 100% yet, but she is doing well enough to start looking for work. I am so glad your labs are improving & I pray you will continue to heal. Feel free to PM me any time. *huge hugs*
eri

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals