Adele001's commitment to health.

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Adele001's commitment to health.

Postby MaryW » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:07 pm

Hey Adele, thanks for stopping by my blog. It's nice to know that other people are out there struggling to change their lifestyle.

Isn't it frustrating when the people around us try to sabotage us! My friends don't even pay attention to what they eat or what they offer to me. They can't understand when I refuse. And my family openly tries to get me to eat unhealthy things. "Oh a little won't hurt you." Well, obviously a little HAS hurt me over and over again!

I hope you are doing well. And I hope things are going well with your friends and family. :)
MaryW

Postby Adele001 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:56 am

Mary - Yeah, it is tough when people put pressure on you to eat what they are eating. I realise now that is is just their way of making themselves feel better - if you eat what they are eating, they won't feel so guilty about eating it themselves. (I know this from being on the other side recently - eating something I shouldn't and wishing my friend would join me so I wouldn't feel so bad about it!! :) ) Of course I have much more respect for her and her determination for sticking to her guns and abstaining!

I had a really grumpy day today. Not sure if I woke grumpy and it rubbed off on the kids, or if the kids drove me to it ...... either way, the kids drove me crazy all day!! I felt constantly hungry and irritated. Had 'fish and chips' (I never eat fish, just chips and potato fritters)
for dinner at my parents - just couldn't be bothered trying to organise separate food.
I know I need to plan better next time, and I am not going to let it derail me - tomorrow is another day.

Jim posted a comment on another thread asking them what was different this time around - what would make the difference that would have them succeed this time around where they have failed before.
That has really got me thinking. (Trying to watch the royal wedding AND think at the same time - at 10.50pm!!)

The difference for me this time is that I now think that I am worth it. I deserve to be healthy and fit, and I want my kids to have a mother for a long time. I intend to plan, and plan and plan. And this is not a diet - this is going to be the way I eat forever - for the good of myself, the animals and the planet.

Quinoa + l/f soymilk + banana
Apple
Rice wafers + peanut butter
Brown rice + leftover stirfried veggies and tofu from last night
Apple
Chips, potato fritters, bread

No exercise today - hopefully will get some time tomorrow.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjZKRc1/]
Adele001

Postby Adele001 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:31 am

The day started off great - took the dog for a 45 min walk in the forest, a bit frosty but a beautiful sunny morning.
But I have been cranky all day! Bad hormonal skin breakouts too - I think it is the middle of my cycle. Don't know what is going on - whether it is food related or not.

Apple
Brown rice + leftover veggie stirfry
Apple
Rice wafers + peanut butter
A few pretzels
Baked potato + coleslaw + falafel

I feel like I did pretty well since the only meal I ate at home was breakfast! Was at my parents for a family dinner and they were all having nachos - but I made coleslaw and baked a potato so quite proud of myself. Apart from a couple of pretzels.

:)
Adele001

Postby Adele001 » Sun May 01, 2011 2:40 am

Another good day here - yay! :)

Apple
Baked oven wedges + Corn/peas/Broccoli
4 x Ryvita with a bit of jam
Apple
Tomato soup with Quinoa
Banana, Mandarin

Managed to get some time for a swim too - unusual for a Sunday. Swam 1.5kms - not much compared with what I used to do, but will have to build up gradually.
Love, love, love my swimming.....

Happy girl here tonight!!
Adele001

Postby Adele001 » Mon May 02, 2011 3:09 am

I went and bought some scales today - first time I have been on some in 6 months. (Our house is being renovated, and we are living at our holiday house - and the scales ended up being packed away. I guess now I have 2 sets!)
My weight didn't scare me too much. Was exactly the same as when I started this journal (86.2kgs . 190lbs) - although I have been back on track for a week now.

Quinoa + soymilk + banana
Apple
Oven wedges + corn + broccoli
Carrot sticks + 1/2 pear + mandarin
Chickpea curry with quinoa + potatoes + veggies

Had a 40 min walk - wasn't exactly a powerwalk, but not an amble either.

Should only be about 3 weeks till our house is finished and we can move back. :) Can break the treadmill out of storage and give it some use over the winter.
Adele001

Postby Adele001 » Tue May 03, 2011 4:09 am

I got on the scales again this morning - this time in my pj's and before breakfast.... which is the time I intend to weigh from now on. I know it would be a bit lighter, but I just about did a happy dance when they said 84.5!
Anyway, I decided about 10 mins later to weigh again..... and they said 85.2! Hmmmm, perhaps not the most consistant scales in the world!!

I managed to get myself to the pool tonight. Have been putting off going at night as I assumed that there would be heaps of people there given that half the pools in the area are closed with damage from the earthquakes.
Swam very intensely for about 45 minutes - did 2km. That is the first time I've done 2kms for a long time!
:-) Swimming makes me happy!!!

Apple + mandarin
Potatoes + vegetables + chickpea curry
Apple
Carrot stick + hummus
Potatoes + veggies + chickpea curry
Apple

I know I am probably eating too much (I eat big meals) - but will get through the first month or so, and then tone it back a bit.

Did I mention that swimming makes me a happy girl?!?!?
:-) :-)
Adele001

Postby Adele001 » Wed May 04, 2011 3:16 am

Dare I say that it was another good day today?

Apple
Oven wedges + veggies
Apple, carrot sticks
Potatoes, veggies (broccoli, corn, carrots, bok choy), lentil sauce

40 minutes brisk walking with the dog.

If anyone is reading my journal and would like to make suggestions where I can improve what I am eating then I am open to that... :-)
I've only been eating this way for about 12 days (this time around), and have been focusing on getting past the cravings before I reduce the quantities that I am eating. Am I eating too much fruit?
Adele001

Postby frozenveg » Wed May 04, 2011 6:32 am

Adele, if you are eating just the foods you've listed, and are eating until you are full but not stuffed, don't worry about eating too much, especially until you check your losses for a few weeks. But if you are trying to follow MWL, you are supposed to limit fruits to (fresh only) two a day, so you might want to keep that in mind.

BTW, My scales are just as changeable, but I've read that everyone has the same experience. Weight can fluctuate up to 10 pounds or so in any given day!!! Sorry, I can't convert that to kgs!!?!?

So glad you love your swimming!! Have a great day again today!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Adele001 » Thu May 05, 2011 3:23 am

frozenveg wrote:Adele, if you are eating just the foods you've listed, and are eating until you are full but not stuffed, don't worry about eating too much, especially until you check your losses for a few weeks. But if you are trying to follow MWL, you are supposed to limit fruits to (fresh only) two a day, so you might want to keep that in mind.

Thanks frozenveg. I know I probably need to cut back on the fruit - it is just so easy to grab an apple and eat it in the car on the way somewhere. In the last couple of days I have gotten a bit more organised and taken some carrot sticks with me. (I have 2 littlies that I spend a bit of time ferrying around the place). And I do tend to eat till I am just a bit uncomfortably full. I will take that advice on - thanks.

Quinoa + l/f soy milk + banana
Apple
Apple
Brown rice + veggies
Carrot sticks
Oven wedges + lentil sauce + veggies

Got in a 2km (1.2 miles) swim, and a 25 min walk.

I have also gotten into the habit of drizzzling just a little bit of oil over the oven wedges - I need to stop that. :-)
Adele001

Postby frozenveg » Thu May 05, 2011 7:27 am

Adele001 wrote:I have also gotten into the habit of drizzzling just a little bit of oil over the oven wedges - I need to stop that. :-)

Good thing you're stopping that--otherwise, I'd have to sic Jeff on you!! :unibrow: :eek: :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=21260

Success Story:
frozenveg

Postby Adele001 » Fri May 06, 2011 2:42 pm

frozenveg wrote:Good thing you're stopping that--otherwise, I'd have to sic Jeff on you!! :unibrow: :eek: :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=21260

Thanks for that link Frozenveg. Amazing how a little bit of oil changes the whole composition of a meal!

I did no exercise yesterday. My body was feeling very tired after the last few days of swimming. In fact my wrists were aching all night last night. I had carpal tunnel release surgery on both my wrists last year, and this is about the most swimming I have done since. Maybe I should drop back to swimming 1.5kms for a bit till my wrists have strengthened a bit.

Corn thins
Oven wedges (no oil!) with veggies
Apple
Carrot sticks, coffee with soy milk
Leftover oven wedges, lentil sauce, veggies

I took the kids swimming after school (Meg starting swimming lessons). Then took them to a popular restaurant for their dinner. Had a coffee to distract me from the food - but I realised after ordering that I could have had a herbal tea. Will do that next time, don't want to get back to drinking coffee again.

Felt good getting on the scales this morning and seeing 83.8kg. Can't wait to get back into the 70's..... it's been about 4.5 years since I last saw 79kgs!!

:-)
Adele001

Postby Adele001 » Sun May 08, 2011 7:13 pm

Haven't posted for a couple of days - but haven't been doing too badly. Have only had a couple of off-plan choices - on Saturday night I ate some white pasta, and yesterday (Sunday) I had a glass of diet lemondade.

Yesterday:
quinoa + l/f soymilk + banana
potato + veggies
apple, orange, diet lemonade
tomato soup + quinoa

Today, so far:
quinoa + l/f soymilk + banana
apple
oven baked wedges (no oil!) corn, peas

Haven't managed any exercise either over the weekend - been feeling very blah! That time of month - ugh.

I'm about to head out the door and take the dog for a walk - will be good to get some fresh air as we had a pretty wintery weekend and haven't been outside a lot.

Adele001

Postby frozenveg » Mon May 09, 2011 7:09 am

So--it's fall down there, right? How cold does it get in the winter there? I'd love to see NZ someday--I have an acquaintance (the best auditor we ever had!) who moved there a few years back...

Success Story:
frozenveg

Postby Adele001 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:58 am

frozenveg wrote:So--it's fall down there, right? How cold does it get in the winter there? I'd love to see NZ someday--I have an acquaintance (the best auditor we ever had!) who moved there a few years back...

Yeah, it is autumn here right now. It doesn't get too cold here - relatively speaking I guess. We occassionally get snow - but never stuff that stays around. It's usually 10-15 degrees (C) daytimes, but we do get a lot of frosts.
It's just right for me - we get very definite seasons, but the winter isn't too harsh and the summers aren't too hot.

Doing well here. Just not getting enough exercise really.....
Adele001

Postby Adele001 » Thu May 12, 2011 3:15 am

Hmmm - my food has been good, but a bit short on exercise. Been that time of month, and it has been worse that usual and haven't felt like going swimming.
Have been walking most days (a great thing about having a dog is the need to walk them daily).

Apple
Brown rice + veggies
Apple
Coffee with soymilk
Carrots
Quinoa + kidney bean sauce + veggies

Took Meg out to a cafe for a treat - gave in and had a coffee...... but no cake!
Been feeling very under the weather today, a bit flu-y. And for some reason I have a really sore back. Also, the hormonal pimples I have been getting for the last few months have got significantly WORSE since starting this way of eating. So has the cramping. Sigh.

But, am enjoying eating like this, so hopefully my body will sort itself out soon.

:-)
Adele001

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals