Kitty Adventures Journey of a lifetime

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Kitty Adventures Journey of a lifetime

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:08 am

Forgot to mention that I just wash and cut off bad spots, then slap them right on the oven rack. No pans, no foil. Same thing on the gas grill, only they go on the top rack there. About an hour on 400 or low flame on the grill. Same with sweet potatoes, often do a rack of each. Sweet potatoes are dessert for us, eaten cold with a fork and they go in lunches easily in a dish with lid.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby kittyadventures » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:47 pm

End of Day two
Hey Mrs. Doodlepunk ... I love sweet potatoes.

I will have to give it a go on the grill too.

Well I made it through the day with a couple of moments of wanting to cheat but I didn't so That made me feel good

I am currently sitting here eating my dinner
Potatos and savoy cabbage.

Okay this is my critic of the Savoy Cabbage,,, I don't like it .. I will eat it because I hate to waste food but it smells attrocious when you are cooking it and it tastes terrible raw.

and it tastes blehhh cooked.
I am sure there are folks out there who love it but I wish I had not bought it right now.I had to really pepper and salt it up which I never have to do with regualr cabbage.

It is a shame because it is a very pretty cabbage to look at,

It is also very squeky when you chew it.

So for my new food this week I feel like it was a failure.. but not to worry I will be having some other new thing on Wednesday when I go to the Farmers market.

I worked in my garden today repoting some plants and planting some more flowers. My flower garden is really filling up with beautiful plants and I love it. I find a real peace whe I am working out there.

My Thought for the day:
A little sunshine everyday makes me feel wonderful.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby lfwfv » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:21 pm

Looking great! Glad to see you're back on track and motivated to be healthy :)

Take care
lfwfv
lfwfv

Postby kittyadventures » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:06 am

"Day2 of my 30 day challenge"

Hi IFWFV... THanks for stopping by, IT is always very encouraging to know other people know what you are trying to accomplish.

SO here I go with another day.
Well the sink saga continues at least for a few days
I had to wash my dishes in the laundry sink.. because I ended up having to order my parts on line..:: BIG SIGH::
I know it is only a sink but I really hate when little things go awry... I always work around them and put on a game face but they really bug me.
Anyway it will get fixed just probably not till the weekend

and I know I could load the dishwasher but there is just the two of us and we don't make many dishes so I wash them by hand.

Anyway enough of that goofyness.

The menu for today

B: A potato and 1 1/4 cups of Canteloupe (very yummy and Yes over my 2 servings of fruit). I was very very hungry this morning.
L: SNAP of course
D: Roasted Accorn Squash, Salad, Green beans
S: Potato

I actually am pretty excited this morning I am officially back to the 175 lbs I was at before the fourth of July so that is a really good thing.
5 lbs from my goal for this month which is to reach 170

Please keep your fingers crossed that I actually reach it.

Some activities for the day I will be weeding in the flower and veggie gardens this afternoon. I have been planting and repoting a bunch of my stuff over the last two weeks and am aiming toward finishing up this afternoon.
I will post some pictures tonight. I will also be packing up some books for the good will.

So I will check in tonight with how it went today and of course my thought for the day.

kittyadventures

Postby sksamboots » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:32 am

The food sounds yummy!!! Keep on keepin on :nod:
sksamboots

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:37 am

kittyadventures wrote:Okay this is my critic of the Savoy Cabbage,,, I don't like it .. I will eat it because I hate to waste food but it smells attrocious when you are cooking it and it tastes terrible raw.

Kitty, honey, you need to put something with it. Cabbage just screams for onions, and last time I dry fried it with a bit of garlic powder because TME can't have onions. He didn't eat any of the cabbage anyhow. But, I put garlic powder and a little apple cider vinegar and it was quite good. I let it cook with the lid off and it browned just slightly and got soft. This was plain old cabbage, not savoy. If just vinegar and garlic doesn't do it for you sprinkle on just a little bit of sugar too. But I think there is enough sugar in cabbage.

Today I did new baby reds and some bigger white potatoes in the grill. They are absolutely scrumptious. Had to watch them, especially the tiny ones, so they didn't burn, turn every 20 minutes and were done in an hour or less. Yesterday I did 5# sweets and 5# Yukon Golds and they are all gone. Feeding two humans and one canine we go through a lot of potatoes. Even the dog is gluten and grain free. He loves sweet potatoes too!
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby kirstykay » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:05 pm

You're doing great, Kitty! Congrats on being back down to 175! You'll make your goal of 170 this month if you stay as motivated as you are now! It's motivating to read your journal. :nod:

I started my 30 day challenge today...Boots really started something with that! I, too, have been tempted to "cheat" today, but I've not given in to temptation! Good to be on this journey with others!

Keep up the great work! You're doing it!!!!! :D

PS: what's in your SNAP lunch?
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby kittyadventures » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:21 am

Day 4 of my 30 day challenge

Hi everyone.. I missed comming on last night I was tired and went to bed early. I did not follow my plan very well yesterday and veered from MWL to the regualr plan so not entirely terrible but not good. I had some raisins and some bread yesterday and an extra serving of fruit.
Any way back at it today.

HI SKSAMBOOTS Kristykay and MRs Doodlepunk.

Kristykay this particular SNAP had potatoes, celery, onions, cabage, broccoli, turnip greens, turnips, garlic, and tomatoes in it. IT was very yummy. I have this big pot which holds about 3 days worth of snap in it... so what I do is start with 3 servings of potatoes(Large potatoes) cut them up and add a bit of water to start them cooking if you are adding carrots turnips or or any other root type veggie that takes 10 to 20 minutes to cook you cook those too.

When the potatoes are about half done I add the rest of my veggies a large can of chopped tomatoe or two depending on the amount of tomatoes you want. I just keep adding stuff till the pan is full, I also add about 2 more cups of water not too much because the veggies will release some of their water too.. SImmer for about 5 to 10 minute untill it is cooked through and eat or allow to cool down and partition into containers.. THis week I just put it into a covered casserol and put it into the fridge.. but when it is going to work with me it goes into canning jars that I can reheat at work and eat out of.

Today is Farmers market day ... I can't wait to see what turns up.

Todays food includes:
B: dry fried potatoes carrots celery white onionmushrooms and broccoli
L: THe same as breakfast
D: Potatoes greens and blackeyed peas and onions and garlic
Snack: peach, pinto beans(!/4 c)

Also KristyKAY Yay for you starting a 30 day challenge too. :nod:

kittyadventures

Postby sksamboots » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:35 am

I love the farmer's market. Have a good day :nod:
sksamboots

Postby kittyadventures » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:29 am

Well it is the end of the day and I did FIne I ddi change things up a bit
BEst of all was my trip to the farmers market One of the stands was a real organic farm..You can tell byt eh size of things..they are not bloated with fertalizer besides of course the organic farm label LOL
anyway I was happily buying potatoes (Red and Blue) Some bok choy(something new for me to try) and what I thought was turnips but was some beets(another new thing to try) some fresh baby beet greens These very very cute carrots and he started adding up my stuff and he gave it to me for 20 dollars (Now I can tell you I had at least 30 dollars of stuff there and then he added tons more carrots and some more bok choy and some of these adorable little white turnips.I was thanking him and he was thanking me for buying stuff and told me he rarely does a large sale to one person and I am thinking how wonderful to be able to get so many of my things from a real organinc farmer. Needless to say it was an awesome trip to the market.
I also got a basket of cherries.

And some goodies for my husband. and I tried a few other things and let us just say that grease is not my favoirte thing right now..

Blechhhh and it has upset my tummy ... not a lot but still some.

I am off to roast some of my potatoes I just got in the oven along with my winter squash!

also any suggestions for the bok choy would be appreciated ... I have never cooked it before.

kittyadventures

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:42 am

Bok choy is good in chop suey along with other vegetables like Chinese cabbage, onions and red peppers, sprouts, grated carrot, etc. Or cooked in a stir fry with just garlic and some soy sauce. Maybe some onion too. Is this baby bok choy or the big stuff? Either one is good, but I think the bigger one has pepperier flavor, if that is a word.
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby kittyadventures » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:45 am

Day 5 of my 30 Day Challenge

I am very excited about my purchases at eh farmers market....

Mrs Doodlepunk thanks for the input THey are baby Bok Choys, Once I saw what you wrote I pulled them out for breakfast.

I have my first ones 2 of them sliced up and cooking in a closed pan on very low heat with a bit of white onion and chantese (sp?) carrots quartered, and some baby beet greens, with red potato coins sliced paper thin.

Meals for today
B see note above
L; winter squash, broccoli
D: Spinach Onions and carrots on a corn bread tortilla with a drizzle of lime pickle relish. With Canteloupe pieces.

I am giving hubby the same but with some tiny sausage bits (He is not Vegan or vegetarian) only his will be rolled in a pumpkin naan bread wrap.

I am considering experimenting with some of the different gluten free flours to try to make gluten free Naan bread.

Okay breakfast is done and here is my critique of the bok Choy..
Yummm it has a delicate flavor with a decidely crisp tang to the stems and those carrots are amaxing they are the earthy carrot flavor of my youth not the overly cloying sweet flavor of the baby carots at teh supermarket.and they are a pretty yellow orange color.

Okay and the baby beet greens are really scrumtious. NOT a strong over powering flavor... I added a sprinkle of salt and three or four grinds of black pepper.

I hope you all have a terrific day

kittyadventures

Postby kittyadventures » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:56 am

Bonus post

I went to look up information on those carrots and here it is
http://www.seedaholic.com/carrot-chantenay-2-red-cored.html

Well worth a trip to the link.

and did you know you could eat carrot tops I may have to steam mine for lunch to taste.

kittyadventures

Postby sksamboots » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:45 am

sounds yummy!! :nod:
sksamboots

Postby kirstykay » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:50 pm

Your food sounds yummy!!! :) Thanks for the detailed description of the SNAP meal. That really helps me. I think I'll try something like that this week. Tomorrow I need to use up some Swiss Chard that I got at the farmers market, so I think I'll turn that into a SNAP.
You're doing great!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals