Slugmom's 2010 Journal

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Slugmom's 2010 Journal

Postby slugmom » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:30 pm

Meh, I hate to admit I'm starting over - and pretty much back up at the same weight where I started last time. 20 lbs lost ... and regained ...

But, that's the facts.

I've had a fumbling start, but I'm going to press on.

My plan: stick with the plan! But not *fall into the pit* if I stumble. Press on, get back on track.

Exercise: run MWF - work my way back to being able to run 5K's and maybe a 10K (took a few months off after a hip issue), 30 Day Shred on Tu, Th, Sat, supplement with some Leslie Sansone walking here and there.

Start weight (1/11/10) 139.6
Official weigh in's on Monday.
This Monday might not be so good, since I haven't been, but I won't let it stop me.
- Kim

slugmom

Re: Slugmom's 2010 Journal

Postby slugmom » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:06 am

so far it is not going well at all.

:( :duh:
- Kim

slugmom

Postby raimel80 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:27 pm

slugmom, stick with it! I quit every other day sometimes. I have the same pit problem that you do. The all or nothing mentality. It's good when you're on and if you slip up even a little, it's no good at all :( We could cheer eachother on. There are so many of us in the same boat here. Let's just pick the ball back up and move on. Hope you check back in soon.... ;-)
"Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward"

raimel80

Postby slugmom » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:54 am

I'm doing terribly.

I pop in and lurk but I don't have anything to say because I know what the answers are, just not how to get back there.

Every day I start out on track. Somewhere between the post-lunch doldrums and the evening "feel like eating junk" zone I lose it and undermine all the healthy meals and exercise I may have done earlier.

Every few days I get on the scale and watch the number creep up and up and up.

I know WHAT I need to do, I just haven't been able to get there and stay there.

:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

I'm sorry, raimel80, that wasn't very encouraging at all, was it?

I've done really well in the past. I've even enjoyed it.
I just end up SOOO tempted by the junk. And living in a large family where I'm the only one who *wants* to do this, I either have to 1.) cook two meals and eat my own food while everyone else eats SAD or 2.) drag them all along in McD'ing or 3.) try to find a happy medium where their foods are close to McD but not totally and I can opt out ... I've been trying to do #3 but overwhelmed and discouraged. In some ways it's the worst of BOTH worlds, because it requires all the planning and making two things, but people still don't love it and are whiny about it. Or polite but still don't like it. It's wearying.

I wish I could just *get back on track* ...

February is always a very hard month for me, I think it's probably Seasonal Affect Disorder or something, but I wish I could be doing *healthy and strong* things instead of wallowing in chocolate LOL

:oops: :cry: :crybaby:
- Kim

slugmom

Postby Yomom » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:09 pm

Kim
I'm so sorry you're having trouble hanging onto your good intentions between lunch and dinner. I can relate to this as well, except I can also be challengedby the post-dinner time. Like you, I am the only one in my family following the McDougall program, and the rest of my family is into high-fat meat-eating, disdaining vegetables. Sigh. Way back when we had the old boards, I tried to drag my family along on the McDougall journey, and as you find, there were lots of complaints. Then I tried offering vegan mains, with their unhealthy faves as side-dishes. Eventually I gave up and went back to SAD myself, putting on another 30 lbs in the process.

This time I am having more success, but things are easier as only one child is left at home. I do cook SAD for him and for my husband. But, my most important cooking is for myself - large batches of "legal" foods that I mono-eat for a couple of days (always having oatmeal for breakfast, though). I am focussing on my own health and weight, hoping that my obese, unfit, stressed husband will join me in this once he retires.

I have had success with resisting falling off-plan between lunch and dinner, and after dinner, by eating a big bowl of legal food whenever temptation strikes. Yes, eating more! But what I am eating is so low-fat, filling and delicious that I am (mostly) losing weight. The key thing for me is that I always have some legal food at hand. Although I have this piece right, I still struggle with eating out socially with friends, and alsohave to avoid having nuts and dates in the house.

I know this is a long post in your journal, but I wanted to let you know I understand and can relate to the challenges of implementing this program. Best of luck.
Yomom

Postby slugmom » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:56 pm

Debbie and Yomom thank you for the empathy and encouragement! :) I appreciate it. It's nice to know someone's peeking in on me, even when I'm tripping and stumbling and sinking in my own muck, LOL ...

I've been hanging in there at kind of half-hearted half-effort. Which means I haven't *totally* given up. :nod: LOL

And I plan to make today Day Zero-and-a-half -- that is I'm starting again NOW and I'll do what I need to do tonight (run to the store for veggies) so that I'm able to stick to the plan.

I'm taking a tip from Debbie and I'm going to try to plan out some go-to snacks. To answer the question *before it arises* about what to eat when I want a snack. I think I will choose apples, or grapefruit, or oat bran cereal, or oatmeal. Or a sweet potato. LOL. Oh, or air popped popcorn if I *really* want a treat. I will NOT eat chocolate or crackers that are in the house for other people.

I am also going to try to make sure we're buying less junk, and junk *I* don't like, for the kids' snacks. As the main shopper, I'm usually the one who buys the "treats" ...

the other thing I'm going to do is TELL my husband I'm trying again and ASK him to back me up when I'm weak, to remind me I don't want to eat junk. He's frustrated with his weight/health too, so even if he's not McDougalling, strictly, we both could use the *absence of junk* in our daily lives.

I realized the other day that I'm probably eating well for 500 calories of chocolate and/or baked chips before bed. WELL over, only I never want to count the wrappers or check the chip bags too closely, because I don't want to KNOW the bad news. But wow, even if I just drop that late night snack off, I should lose some weight.

So. That's my plan. Starting with the apple I just ate. I'm already on the way. :)
- Kim

slugmom

Postby Ege Bamyasi » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:20 am

Apples and other fruit for the win!!

I really, really know how you must be feeling lately. But you're here still after all of this, so that shows me that you are not giving up and you will get this thing right!

We're all pulling for you. Keep that sweet, delicious fruit ready for whenever you need it and I know you're gonna do just fine. :D
Ege Bamyasi

Postby raimel80 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:56 pm

I'm glad to see you back. :-D I disappear from my journal all the time because I feel frustrated about knowing the answer, but just not doing it. Why does it have to be so simple, yet so hard sometimes?? The simplicity is amost decieving in that way isn't it? Here are the answers. Everything else should be black and white. And yet....
raimel80

Postby slugmom » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:29 pm

raimel80 that is the same reason I disappear. Rather than coming for encouragement and I ideas, I hide because I am frustrated and discouraged ... knowing what to do but not doing it.

Today I am *excited* to be back on track. I'm making rice and beans for dinner, with salsa to top it with, and a little bowl of cheese for those who think they need it :) -- everyone likes this meal except one poor picky child. And he'll just have to roll with it. 8)

For me, I made a veggie gumbo that I'm going to have over my rice. And of course, no cheese. It smells good and it's spicy and I'm just excited.

Oh, also, today I started an 8 week training program to run a *10K* race and I'm excited about that. I've run in two 5K races but then I took some months off for a hurt hip issue. I think the running days will be fairly easy but it will be harder to make sure to do the cross training / other stretching / strength on the non-run days. I don't really have a good time in my schedule for them. But hey, I can do wii runs before bed if I have to.

So I'm on plan and planning to stay that way! 13 days until my birthday! I'm going to be a leaner, slimmer (but not meaner!) me by then. :) :nod:
- Kim

slugmom

Postby slugmom » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:33 pm

Oh, Fridays! I can do fridays. I am one of those compulsive people who weigh every day :oops: LOL

I really liked the C25K plan to ease into running. I've never been a runner, never been athletic. It still doesn't come easily to me. But it helped me see that I'm *capable* of doing it, much to my surprise. I think I'm learning more about myself for becoming a runner in my "middle age" years than any other thing I've attempted. :)

Well my dinner last night was a flop, but the family was happy (except for previously mentioned picky boy) so it wasn't too bad. I think I can repurpose my leftovers and save them. And I had rice and salsa and some salad greens and did okay.

I did step off the path for a little last night - a neighbor gave us a big crock pot full of nacho cheese sauce and a big bag of chips, left over from an event her son is involved in. My family was thrilled. But I ate 6 chips and ~2 T. of the nacho cheese because I thought it looked really good. Only it just was okay, not great, and I ate one small piece of chocolate, too. But I remembered I didn't want to go there, so I grabbed the reigns and yanked myself off the cliff with just the one foot slipping off.

Today I'm back on track. I walked 4 miles with Leslie Sansone and friends.

But I'm HUNGRY at the moment and the dinner I'm making for them to use up some leftovers is not not not McDougall friendly, so I better make myself some hearty 'snack' so that I don't cave in at dinner.
- Kim

slugmom

Postby slugmom » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:36 pm

ugh ugh ugh ugh

starting over again starting over again starting over again

I KNOW I can do this. I even ENJOY it. So why am I struggling?

Looking at my notes from last year and I struggled with stopping and starting and stopping and starting all last winter, too.

C'Mon spring, I need you!
- Kim

slugmom

Postby slugmom » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:49 pm

Well, Tuesday was a waste, between traditional birthday cake with rich frosting and rich fondant and Chinese buffet for dinner as my son turned 7. Yes, I could've made wiser choices, but I didn't.

So my weight is up quite a bit today - a common occurrence after Chinese buffet, I've noticed ...

but so is my resolve.

i LIKE my foods when I'm on plan. I LIKE how I feel and I LIKE how I (eventually) look. I'm looking forward to starting T-Tapping *seriously* on Monday (one part of my set is out on loan or I'd start today) and I'm looking forward to seeing some serious results.

So far today, on track and feeling good about it. :nod:
- Kim

slugmom

Postby VeganMom » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:50 pm

Wooooo! Back on track!

I hear ya. I fell down with St. Paddy today, but it's smooth sailing now as I...start...again...!

Looking forward to some oatmeal tomorrow. :)
~ Lisa

VeganMom

Postby slugmom » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:03 pm

Thanks VeganMom - I hope you've been doing well.

I pretty much blew last week after all. But I've been better this week. I think the Spring weather is helping. It's daunting and frustrating to re-lose weight I hadn't ever planned to gain back :oops: but I need to just keep on trying. I've been nearly on track this week. Not quite perfect, but much better and working towards totally on track.
- Kim

slugmom

Postby slugmom » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:41 am

ugh ugh ugh

ugh ugh ugh

ugh ugh ugh

I have fallen and I can't get up

I'm off track and I can't get back on

sometimes I don't even know if I want to. I am struggling with "can't I just eat regular food and somehow magically still lose weight and be healthy?"

I'm frustrated because 1.) I ENJOY the foods I make on plan and 2.) I KNOW this works for me

I just don't know why I can't stick with it and resist the junk?

:duh: :crybaby: :oops: :duh:
- Kim

slugmom

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning