K2

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

K2

Postby karin_kiwi » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:27 pm

24 weeks finished.

I've lost 27.2 kg / 60 lbs

7 inches off my chest
7 inches off my waist
8 inches off my hips

Down from size 24-28 to 18-22 (wouldn't it be great if there were standardized sizing?).

Exercise 5-6 days a week for around an hour each time. Still with Simone as my PT. Boxing, weight training, walking, elliptical crosstrainer, some jogging, general boot camp stuff.

Food mostly McDougall. I set a limit of 15g fat/day (average under 10g) and try to aim for at least 25g fiber (average in the low 20's). I think I average about 1100 calories/day, ranging from about 700 calories to 1450. Pretty much eat when hungry.

I wish I felt much different. I can tell I'm stronger and I can see muscles underneath fat and skin that has gotten much saggier and puffier. I'm really hoping that will tighten up over time. I don't feel that I'm smaller or looking better, though I can't wear my usual clothes any more and it feels like the gremlins changed my previously too-tight clothes for too-loose ones. I'm mostly living in exercise gear as I don't want to spend money I don't really have on temporary clothing. The perks of working for yourself, mostly from home!

My husband just got home yesterday after six weeks away and has said nothing. Not one word to add to the nothing else he's said for the previous 4 months. The only exception is when I told him I'd lost 20 kg (44 lb) and he said, 'well done' and went back to what he was doing. Even though he's only a small part of why I'm doing this, his lack of reaction has really thrown me. For the last day I've been on the verge of tears (and over it, too).

I know I'm doing well and I don't think I'm in serious danger of losing the plot and going on a meat, fat, junk starch, salt and sugar binge. But I am feeling very discouraged right now (Simone thinks I'm nuts, in the nicest possible way).

So I don't end my first entry back on such a negative note, many other people have said great things. The best one came about a week ago from the father of one of my daughter's friends, whom I see only every couple of months. He'd come into the room and greeted everyone and I said something. He turned to me and said, "My god, Karin, how much weight have you lost? If you hadn't said something, I honestly wouldn't have recognized you. You look fantastic." How's that for a spontaneous comment from someone who didn't have to say anything? I keep a note file of all these kinds of comments to read again.
All time high 275+ lbs/125+ kgs (maxed out scale!). Was a size 26-28. * * * Fastest 10 km (6.25 miles) run time 55.30; half marathon time 2:13.49.

Dealing with the maintaining huge weight loss thing... imperfectly and with some challenges.
karin_kiwi

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:21 pm

Oh, I love it when people notice as I lose weight! yah!

too bad about your hubby, though. Is he normally a reticent guy? My ex was SO that way. Never said nothin...of course, he also didn't criticize me when I was over 300 lbs, either. I used to joke "I could be rubbing rat poison on the chicken and you'd say 'huh. well, she knows what she's doing, I guess' hahaha! that's how some men are. Unfortunately.

What if you just told him that you have lost weight and you feel so good about yourself?

but you are doing marvelously and should be proud of yourself! :thumbsup:

HeidiW
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby sksamboots » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:28 pm

Thanks so much for sharing your story.

I can relate to you a lot. I've lost 15 pounds, a small amount compared to you. And everyone has noticed it but my husband. My husband is really proud of my accomplishments but he just doesn't see the physical changes like everyone else. I really believe it's because he lives with me and has more interaction with me than the other people that I see.

I would say, sit down and have a good chat with your husband. Let him know how much you lost. How excited you were and what reaction you were expecting and how you felt when you didn't get that reaction. Communication is so important. I'm sorry to generalize, but sometimes our partners just don't see the small picture and need us to point it out to them.

I'm so glad you posted and I do look forward to many more journals from you. keep on keepin on :)
sksamboots

Postby Anna Green » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:24 pm

Karin, I AM SO HAPPY TO SEE YOU! YEAH!!!!!!! I absolutely missed you. And way to go on the shrinkage. Way to go on the exercise. As before, you are inspiring.

I have mentally slapped the back of the head of your husband. You know when my sister and I show support in these situations for each other I do not use social work skills nor she nursing skills. We just let the southern fried attitude come on out and open up a can of the whoop ass. So you got the real thing from me girl and if you need me to slap him again I sure will. I pull hair too, just to let you know.

Enough of that. You rock and glad you are back.
Anna Green

Postby karin_kiwi » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:34 pm

Thanks guys. :)

We had 'that talk' a while ago - the one where I said that I really wanted him to tell me if he noticed (I don't want him to lie) and that his support meant a lot to me. His excuse for not saying anything was that he saw me every day so didn't notice, and even if he did, he wasn't sure if I wanted him to comment. I told him in no uncertain terms that YES, I wanted him to say something.

So that's why I'm especially glum - had the talk, he knows I want him to say something, and an absence of 6 weeks should have been PLENTY to notice. And he's not an unobservant guy, either.

I've had a few offers from friends to come over and beat him up! ;-) I want to put him right back on the plane and send him back to the UK.

And thanks for welcoming me back.
All time high 275+ lbs/125+ kgs (maxed out scale!). Was a size 26-28. * * * Fastest 10 km (6.25 miles) run time 55.30; half marathon time 2:13.49.

Dealing with the maintaining huge weight loss thing... imperfectly and with some challenges.
karin_kiwi

Hi

Postby f1jim » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:04 am

I'll clue you in on a secret if you promise not to tell. Your Hubby will notice it when OTHER guys notice it. Then he will sit up and be particularly aware. You have to do this for yourself. The rest will come automatically. When your figure gets to a certain proportion people will stop and notice. My guess is you might be getting close already.

But......Do this for your health first. The weight will take care of itself. Focusing on just weight loss can be a cruel joke we play on ourselves. Also trying to moderate someone elses behavior is futile. Sometimes it can be counterproductive. Sometimes the way to getting my cat to come to me is to completely ignore it!
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby nomikins » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:59 am

Please don't beat me up, everyone. First, know I am female.

Congratulations on your achievements thus far. Hard work and perserverence are really paying off.

Here's where I may offend you, and I'm sorry if I do, but this thought came to mind. In your original post, you stated all your clothes are too big and you live in exercise clothing for the most part. This will sound shallow, but if I did not see my husband for six weeks, I would do something to make myself look cute for when he returned and make his head turn. Maybe you did do that. But, for me, I would at least make an effort of some sort. Hair/makeup, a reasonably priced new outfit (especially since all clothes are too big).

However, in earlier posts, you talked about not wanting attention from men because of past issues. Is this projecting to your husband today? Maybe seeking professional help to get this resolved is in order.

Or, maybe your husband just needs to get slapped in the head a few times, like some others said. I once had a male friend from New Zealand, and he had the same nonchalant attitude toward his wife (now ex-wife). Drove us all nutty!

Good luck to you, and keep doing this for yourself.
nomikins

Postby karin_kiwi » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:40 pm

No offense taken, Nomikins! And I can absolutely see how you could have thought it might be a factor from my post.

Let me reassure you I did put a nice outfit on - I still have some clothes left over from my way up the scales. And I'm one of these people who puts makeup on every single day - the minimum is foundation, mascara, powder and a bit of gloss or lipstick.

The stuff to do with my "guy" issues hasn't ever affected my relationship. It's always been more about strangers or friends who make sexual comments, gestures, or overtures. It's fine if my husband makes them (well, mostly, anyway!) :)

And I am doing this for myself and my health, first and foremost. Right behind that is for my kids - both so I have a better chance of being around to see them grow up and to set a good example. Third is for my relationship and my husband. Both the secondary reasons are tied, to some extent, to my physical and mental health.

Jim, I hope you're right about his noticing when other guys do, but I'm not optimistic. He's one of the least jealous, least concerned what other people think, people I've ever met. Since he genuinely only cares about the opinions of a small group, it would have to be one of them who made a comment.

Thanks for the support. I'm slowly coming out of my bad mood.

karin_kiwi

Postby larnell » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:59 pm

Karin, I know where you are coming from. A number of years ago I weight about what your starting weight was 150,got down to about 125 right for some one 5'2" I had no support at home, and in the end let my weight slip back up to around 195. So now am working hard to believe in my self. I am worth it. Am down to 179, will get there. One word of advice I wish I had had Go out every month and buy something that fits ,T shirt, pants something thats fits, It will give you a boost. Even around home you will feel better about your self. Keep up the good work and believe in your self.
larnell
larnell

Postby karin_kiwi » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:39 pm

Larnell, that's a really good idea. I've been rewarding myself with a 2-hour massage every 4 weeks, which is lovely, but it doesn't help with the clothing. One item of nice clothing a month is not going to break the bank even if it only fits for a couple of months and it will help me look and feel better during this transition. Thanks so much for that suggestion!

And congratulations on getting started again. You are worth it, and you'll get down to the healthy weight again. I know I don't get support from home and so I've made a list of reasons I'm doing this - I review it when I'm feeling discouraged. I also have a handful of visualisations - my "imagine..." list. Each scenario starts out with "Imagine being/doing/whatever" and it describes a situation that really can only happen when I am fit and healthy. Perhaps something like that would be helpful for you, too.

karin_kiwi

Postby larnell » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:45 pm

Thanks Karin I will start my list tonight. I might even start journaling here and post my list . Thanks again. larnell
larnell

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:32 pm

karin_kiwi wrote:
So that's why I'm especially glum - had the talk, he knows I want him to say something, and an absence of 6 weeks should have been PLENTY to notice. And he's not an unobservant guy, either.

but now that he is back, and hasn't noticed (or at least, hasn't said anything,) now is the time to tell him that it feels like he isn't noticing you, and that you're hurt by him not commenting. You HAD the talk; seems he didn't listen; time to tell him how THAT makes you feel.

at any rate, you ARE doing this, and your success is in your hands. :) and you're doing it for the right reasons.

blessings, HeidiW
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby karin_kiwi » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:21 pm

Good point, Heidi. Very good point. Can you do it for me?? :D

karin_kiwi

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:33 am

*gulp*

sometimes when I get lonely as a divorced mom, I remember those days of not being able to be honest with my ex...or just being tired of trying to have real communication...

(((HUG)))

but whatever he says or doesn't say, you KNOW you're hot! ;)

blessings, Heidi
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby sksamboots » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:28 pm

Karin,

Hope your doing better today, keep on keepin on :)
sksamboots

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals