bunsofaluminum's journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: bunsofaluminum's journal

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:01 am

Well, I'm going to cut out popcorn. My weight is creeping back up VERY fast, and the only food I'm eating frequently is the popcorn. Just a leeetle spritz of soy sauce for flavor, but it's usually a big batch. I gotta cut it out.

YESTERDAY'S FOOD:

B: baked potato w/ketchup and mustard (WAY much flavor on that ketchup!); baked sweet potato
L: three sisters soup over baked potato
D: three sisters soup; a plate of smashed butternut squash and grated apple with 1/2 tsp maple syrup and some cinnamon
S: popcorn galore

TODAY'S FOOD PLAN:
B: cheezy steel cut oats
L: three sisters soup
D: cabbage soup
S: carrots, apples, pears ???

NO POPCORN...this is weird, because I planned NOT to have popcorn yesterday, and I wasn't hungry, but I was craving the salty. Like...CRAVING...like "had to have it"...so the addiction is now focused on popcorn, but it is still addiction. Ugh.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby janluvs2heel » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:28 am

Hey Buns,

One thing you might to try to cut out or cut down on is the nut. yeast. I was shocked when I read that 3 T. has 80 calories. That could add up quickly if you use it on 2 meals a day even. I tried it, but for me, it smells stale & doesn't really add any "cheese" flavor to my food so I stopped using it quite a while ago.

I remember back in the old days, when I was doing WW, they started selling WW popcorn. I was so discouraged when I saw how small the serving was. I am like, I dont mind eating it plain, but I want more than what is in this bag!! Too easy to overeat on popcorn though, I agree with you there. :nod:
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby chewy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:44 am

i guess everyone reacts to air popped popcorn differently. quinda ,a member on this board eats 3 bowls of air popped popcorn daily!that is 1 1/2 cups of UNPOPPED popcorn daily as well as with her daily baked potatoes,oatmeal ,vegetables and fruit!!i find that i can eat as much air popped popcorn ,plain brown rice cakes,plain puffed rice as i like ( acceptable MWL foods) as long as i stay strict within the guidelines for daily LOTS of raw and steamed vegetables,salads,under 1 cup of legumes,2 fruits .my weight stays the same 5"3 and 102 pounds.
chewy

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:51 am

janluvs2heel wrote:Hey Buns,

One thing you might to try to cut out or cut down on is the nut. yeast. I was shocked when I read that 3 T. has 80 calories. That could add up quickly if you use it on 2 meals a day even. I tried it, but for me, it smells stale & doesn't really add any "cheese" flavor to my food so I stopped using it quite a while ago.

Hi jan...I thought the same, when I first learned the calories of Nooch yeast...but I don't put 3 TBSP in any dish. One TBSP at the most, but lately, in my effort to make food simpler and plainer, I've only been using 1 tsp in a three serving batch of the cheezy steel cut oats. I think that may equate to 3 TBSP in a week...I do love the flavor. In fact, cheezy steel cut oats is my favorite dish. I used to put nooch yeast on my popcorn, but the soy sauce doesn't make it stick like butter does, so I don't anymore.

Maybe I need to commit to 30 min walk every day "30 Minutes a Day. No Excuses" a la Dr Oz...once the exhaustion from the cellulitis is gone, that is my plan. I really am a couch potato lately, and I know it's because I've been wiped out from the illness.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby kirstykay » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:58 am

Buns, I wonder if upping the greens in your menus will help the weight come off. Have you been to SactoBob's blog? Some REALLY great simple recipes with pix!

Glad you're feeling better!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:04 am

kirstykay wrote:Buns, I wonder if upping the greens in your menus will help the weight come off. Have you been to SactoBob's blog? Some REALLY great simple recipes with pix!

Glad you're feeling better!

I think that's a TERRIFIC idea. When I was so sick last week, and between paychecks, I made batch after batch of Kale and Carrot soup. I need to pick up kale, but I'm thinking that soup, and a whole lot of cabbage soup will be good to make. That'll increase my greens. Salads simply don't turn me on right now. I like muh greens COOKED.

I added half a can of collard greens to my soup for lunch today. Think I'll hit the discount store and buy up all their kale...if they have it. they usually do...
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby blondie » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:57 pm

The one thing I love about fall is how good soup always tastes to me this time of year! I bought a bag of frozen turnip greens to add to mine, because the kale at the store looked wilted and was starting to turn yellow. Hope you have better luck.

Popcorn helps me resist all the SAD snacks my DH keeps bringing into the house, so I'm keeping my popcorn! :lol: I spritz mine with a little water, then sprinkle it with nacho noosh.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w/]
[/url]
[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
311 all-time highest weight. Began McDougall plan at 300 lb. on 2/9/2011.
blondie

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:19 am

Me too blondie! soup is magic. You put veggies and water in a pot, and let it boil for 30 minutes or so, and it turns into FOOD! Soup! Love it!

Last night I made a huge pot of cabbage soup and plan on a Mary's Mini using it as my main food for awhile. I don't know how long. I have another head of cabbage, so I might be able to get through the rest of the month with it. Maybe. At any rate, it's a big batch of soup and my kids don't like it, so I'll have it for many meals here for awhile. I'd like to see the scale actually go down.

as for the popcorn, I totally agree. I've been able to avoid so many fatty, salty snacks because of popcorn. The cheetos at work (my boss loves them and keeps a big bag of them) or the potato chips my kids actually held beneath my nose...my popcorn saved me from indulging...but I think I'm eating too much of it, or something. I pop 3/4 a cup at a time, which makes six (?) c of popped corn. Share it with my kids but they don't like it much so they often leave me more than half...

I just dunno. I'm going to *try* not to have it during the week and just eat it on Saturdays as a reward for NOT eating it during the week. :lol:

still eating zero added salt. I hope it helps the edema. I hope keeping the edema down keeps the celluilitis away! :nod:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby toadfood » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:48 pm

Heidi, what's your cabbage soup recipe? I just bought a HUGE cabbage at the farmer's market and have been wondering what to do with it.

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:59 pm

I made this current batch, which completely filled a 6 quart soup pot, with a half of a large head of cabbage. Adjust as needed.

1/2 large head of cabbage
1 lg onion
6-8 med small carrots, peeled and sliced
4 med large potatoes, cut in bite sized chunks
three lg ribs celery, sliced
1 can diced tomatoes w/jalapeno
2 cans plain diced tomatoes
three limes, cut in half

Cut up the cabbage in 1" chunks. Cut up the onion in .5" chunks. Put in pot and cover with water. Add the cans of tomatoes, and the rest of the veggies EXCEPT THE LIMES. This amount filled my pot to the rim. (as it cooks, the volume decreases some)

Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer until Soup Magic does its work :) add water to increase volume, if desired. ...when it's all cooked and turns into soup, put the lime halves in and let it sit for a little while. Once the limes are soft, squeeze them thoroughly, juice and pulp in the soup.

It's good with any grains, or plain. I checked some calories place and found a bowl of this stuff only has 71 cals!

TODAY'S FOOD

B: cabbage soup
L: cabbage soup
D: cabbage soup w/quinoa
S: I do NOT believe myself, but I had a cupcake at work :angry: It didn't taste good but I consumed it like a starving person. Dang. And no, I was NOT feeling hungry when I ate it.

seriously thinking about finding an OA meeting somewhere.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby carollynne » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:06 pm

Dear buns, I love catching up on your journal. I know just what you mean, with the OA mtgs. and the air popped corn, I tend to eat the entire batch myself with some paprika on it. Altho the spices falls down with the popcorn anyway, it does give some flavor. I did not know that puffed rice was a legal MWL food, I used to love that as a kid!!
You are doing great. thanks for being my inspiration!!
I will have to make up a cabbage soup too!
Congrats to you!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby blondie » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:14 pm

Your cabbage soup sounds yummy, but if it only has 70 calories per bowl, maybe you were hungry when you ate that cupcake? Make sure you're eating enough good starches Buns, starving yourself won't work.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w/]
[/url]
[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
311 all-time highest weight. Began McDougall plan at 300 lb. on 2/9/2011.
blondie

Postby kittyadventures » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:39 am

Hi Buns.

LOL at eh overeaters annonymous.

I had my own run in witha candy bowl for the last wek and a half. :angry:

The cabbage soup sounds delicious.

and makes me think maybe I should try to make a vegan pasole'.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby Birdy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:37 am

Hi Buns,
Just wondering how you're doing?
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:05 am

Hey birdy

thanks for dropping by. I started a new journal "Bunso goes MWL" that I'm writing in nowadays.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals