Hamster's Treadmill

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Hamster's Treadmill

Postby Hamster » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:13 am

Ege Bamyasi wrote:Aw, man, that really was a bad day! I'm really glad you didn't end up hurt from the fall.

Not really a bad day, more of a strange day with lots of minor stuff going wrong. I knew that the lights were rubbish when I put them on but I expected them to last more than one day. The water bombing was unexpected but on reflection it was a rather good (or lucky shot). The fall was at low speed and onto grass so more of a fitting end to the day than anything serious.

So far (fingers crossed) today has been totally uneventful.
Maximum weight 128.5 kg
Minimum weight 83.0 kg
Weight after falling off the wagon 95.9 kg
Current weight 92.8 kg (and falling)

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells
Hamster

Postby Hamster » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:08 pm

Gentle Reader,

After one eventful day I am now in the situation of having very little to report.

A couple of items I had on eBay have sold :) , one of them was an ancient 10-speed bike that held little interest for Hamster. However, I have purchased another bike :-D . A child’s Peugeot bicycle for a whole $5.50, it needs a full restoration but it will give me something to do. Hanging up in the carport is a Healing bicycle that also needs a full restoration. Healing was a major Australian bike manufacturer up until the mid-1960s, mine is a 1956 model.

Tomorrow I have to bring Mrs Hamster into the city so I’ll be joining the caged-ones in their smoke-boxes :-( , unable to experience the joy of crisp morning air and the wind blowing across my scalp.

I’ve almost finished my first batch of chilli and curry and I’m looking forward to trying my most recent attempts :) .
Maximum weight 128.5 kg
Minimum weight 83.0 kg

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells
Hamster

Postby Hamster » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:21 pm

Gentle Reader,

Today Hamster travelled to the railway station in his smoke-box thus joining the caged-ones. Not for me today the simple pleasure of seeing the sun-rise, breathing in the crisp morning air and being able to nod to the other regulars. Oh well, only the weekend separates me from my next morning commute.

I have nothing significant planned for the weekend. I have just sold some items on eBay and the purchasers will be wanting to pick them up. Hamster has also bought an old child’s Peugeot bicycle. It’s in pretty sad condition but hopefully after the injection of many $$$$s and much time it will make a worthwhile addition to my fleet of French velocipedes.

I have plenty of McDougall friendly meals safe inside their bags in the freezer so I won’t be needing to do any cooking. Just remembered – I’ve got to buy that large pot I saw last weekend. It’d be perfect for cooking up BIG batches of vegetables.
Maximum weight 128.5 kg
Minimum weight 83.0 kg

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:23 pm

Gentle Reader,

Once again very little to report, I went for a ride on Saturday (54 kms) on Kevin the road bike and then a very pleasant 26 kms on Jack the single speed. The couple of things I was selling on eBay are gone and I’ve picked myself up a new project :) . It’s a child sized Peugeot bicycle. I’m in no rush to finish it but it will be a lovely little bike once it’s done.

This morning I did my normal commute to the railway station, not for me the confines of a smoke producing cage. It’s late winter here and easily the best time of year, the days are usually warm and dry, which makes bike riding particularly pleasant :-D .

My belt has come in one notch and a jacket I had bought which was tight now feels good. I really need to become more compliant, as there are too many lapses which is slowing the weight loss. I’m not too certain whether the latest batch of chilli is a success or not. It eats and is not unpleasant but seems to be missing something :| .
Maximum weight 128.5 kg
Minimum weight 83.0 kg

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:57 pm

Gentle Reader,

Hamster is going to make a change to his journal starting with tomorrow’s post. In addition to my normal rambling discourse on my day I’ll be including a detailed list of what I eat and what exercise I do. In this way I hope to make myself a little more accountable. Yesterday I ate 2 chocolate bars and I'm feeling a touch embarrassed.

By my figuring I burn an average of 1,600 calories per day through lifestyle activities plus a further 2,000 by basal metabolism plus light activities. So my calorie intake could be as high as 3,600 and maintain a constant body weight. Whilst I don’t intend to start counting calories this gives me some idea of what I can eat. If my calorie intake is around 1,750 then that should give me a nice steady weight loss. What does 1,750 calories equate to – 3 ½ Big Macs, 7 ½ cups of boiled brown rice, 13 cups of boiled potato and a whopping 27 cups of boiled sweet potato.

If I was to go on a Big Mac diet I would need at least 8 a day *shudder* to not feel hungry that would give me a calorie intake of 3,840 calories whereas I could be crammed full to bursting point with sweet potato and only be consuming 1,800 calories. Wow – what a difference.

I’m not planning to start eating Big Macs, but the point is that by leaning heavily toward the potato/sweet potato I can afford to eat modestly off-plan and still remain well under 2,000 calories per day. Here goes.

My ride home last night was totally uneventful and my ride to the station this morning was equally uneventful. One thing that I have noticed since my fitness has improved is that I need far less sleep. When I was unfit and weighted 283 pounds I needs at least 10 hours per day and then would wake feeling tired. Now despite being far more active I need only 7 ½ to 8 hours and then I awake feeling refreshed.
Maximum weight 128.5 kg
Minimum weight 83.0 kg

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:53 pm

Gentle Reader,

Yesterday my activities included:
Morning – 15 kms bicycle
Lunchtime – 5 kms walk
Evening – 4 kms walk & 15 kms bicycle

My food was:
Morning – Muesli & diluted apple juice;
Snack – Ryvita biscuit;
Lunch – 5 Ryvita biscuits, low-fat cheddar & salsa;
Snack – dried fruit & nuts;
Dinner – Vegetable chilli, brown rice & sweet potato;
Rice cake & peanut butter; and
Red wine.

My level of activity was as per plan :-D , food intake was ok but the cheese is a pretty doubtful addition. Overall, I’d say I was 80% compliant so yesterday gets a thumbs up :) .

Really not much has happened over the last couple of days, basically more of the same. I have a light ordered which should arrive soon. Once I have it I’ll be able to ride the single-speed bike to the station some days. As I have said before the single-speed seems to give a better workout than does a geared bike. I had a chat with a guy in the locker room at work. He rides his single-speed on the fixie side and reckons that it’s great. Next weekend I might find a nice section of bike path and try it myself :-) .
Maximum weight 128.5 kg
Minimum weight 83.0 kg

Hamster

Postby f1jim » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:25 pm

One cannot outwork a bad diet.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby simoncat » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:11 pm

f1jim wrote:One cannot outwork a bad diet.
f1jim

Unfortunately, you are right, James. Hamster, you may want to read, "The China Study" as well as "Mad Cowboy". When you realize what dairy can do to you, it really isn't worth the risk. If you really want a treat, try 2 bananas, 1 mango and some rice milk in a blender. Eat more fruit (but not dried); try eating more carrots. Don't hurt yourself with dairy; we want to keep reading about your adventures!! :nod:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/whvr8sU/]
[/url]
simoncat

Postby Hamster » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:41 pm

Gentle Reader

F1jim

I agree with your comment. I recollect reading that the Apollo astronauts despite being incredibly fit and engaged in a serious exercise program had a rate of heart disease similar to the general population. The obvious reason was their diet.

SimonCat

No need to worry – ol’ Hamster will be around for a while yet. Since the cyclone went through North Queensland, bananas have been a horrendous price, but kiwi fruit is cheap.

Morning – 15 kms bicycle
Lunchtime – 5 kms walk
Evening – 4 kms walk & 15 kms bicycle

My food was:
Lunch – 5 Ryvita biscuits, low-fat cheddar & salsa;
Dinner – Vegetable chilli, brown rice & sweet potato; and
Red wine (1 glass).

My score for yesterday is again 80%

I think that I have got it worked what to have for lunch that will result in the elimination of the cheese. In summer I’m happy to have a salad but as it’s winter here a salad just doesn’t seem all that attractive. Those of you who read this rambling discourse will, over the next few days notice a change for the better.

In the meantime I’m not going to tell fibs – what I eat is what I eat and what I do is what I do. Making a regular post here I hope will introduce some more discipline into my eating and this seems to be happening (although it’s yet to show), so all is progressing along ok.

The sunrise this morning was something very special and I am left wondering why anybody would choose to travel by smoke producing cage.
Maximum weight 128.5 kg
Minimum weight 83.0 kg

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:19 pm

Gentle Reader,

This morning my weight was 93.5 kg so I’m down 1 kg :-D and 2.4 kg since I started trying to loose the excess weight that I’ve packed on.

Morning – 15 kms bicycle
Lunchtime – 5 kms walk
Evening – 15 kms bicycle

My food was:
Lunch – 3 Ryvita biscuits, low-fat cheddar & salsa;
- 2 Kiwi fruits
Snack – dried fruit & nuts;
Dinner – Vegetable curry, brown rice & sweet potato;
3 liquorice all-sorts
2 Rice cakes & peanut butter; and
Red wine.

My level of activity was as per plan :) , food intake was ok but the cheese is again a pretty doubtful addition, but the quantity was down but the peanut butter was up. Overall, I’d say I was 75% compliant so yesterday gets a neutral :( .

My main eating problem during the week is lunch – but I think I have a cure for that. Weekends can be a problem as well, mainly boredom eating. What I need to do is keep myself really busy.

I’ve replaced the broken lights on my single speed bike and I rode it to the station this morning. I don’t have anyway to tell how fast I’m going, but it seems faster than the mountain bike. Also the mountain bike is heavy and robust but feels sort of dead whereas the single speed has much more lively feel to it.

On the weekend I intend trying to ride the single speed as a fixie – that will be interesting.
Maximum weight 128.5 kg
Minimum weight 83.0 kg

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:38 pm

Gentle Reader,

This morning my weight was 93.2 kg so I've dropped 300 gms since yesterday :-)

Morning – 15 kms bicycle
Lunchtime – 5 kms walk
Evening – 4 kms walk and
15 kms bicycle

I rode the single speed which seems faster than the mountain bike and without gears it produces a good workout. Also, it's lighter and less rigid so seems to be more alive. My first ride on it was producing really numb hands, but I've raised the handlebars and that issue seems almost resolved. My next little adjustment will be to move the saddle back a little.

My food was:
Lunch – baked sweet potato, baked potato, baked pumpkin and baked carrot
Snack – assorted nuts;
Dinner – Vegetable chili, brown rice & sweet potato;
3 liquorice allsorts
1 Rice cake & peanut butter; and
Red wine.

On a Friday at work we have a morning-tea and what I ate at that will remain my little secret. Overall I'd say that I was 80% compliant. The baked vegetables worked for lunch so I'll be doing more of that.

It's a beautiful day here, it's still early morning but looks perfect to try out the single speed as a fixie :-D

I think I'll finish my journal here as I have to go over to my bicycle thread and make a few comments there.
Maximum weight 128.5 kg
Minimum weight 83.0 kg

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:27 pm

Gentle Reader,

This morning my scales recorded another weight drop, I am now down 3.1 kg (7 lbs) since climbing back up onto the wagon.

Yesterday I went for a 75 km ride on Jack (single-speed bike) including 15 kms as a fixie. In the afternoon I walked to the shops (2 kms). Today, I'm feeling a touch stiff but nothing beyond that. This afternoon I'm planning to go for a short ride just for fun.

My food for yesterday way:
Breakfast - Toast & baked beans,
Break during the ride - Icy pole and something called "Smart Water",
Lunch - Potato, sweet potato, mixed vegetables & onion curry,
Snack - 2 rice cakes and peanut butter and liquorice allsorts
Dinner - Potato, sweet potato, mixed vegetables & onion curry,
Evening - Red wine

Overall, the exercise was good and the diet was also good. Perhaps a little high in simple carbs, but the ride would have burnt at least 2,750 calories so some sweet sticky stuff wouldn't be that big of a problem. Yesterday I'll give myself a 95% compliant :-) .

I'm really pleased with Jack, he's a lovely old bike :-D . His steel frame is flexible and so smooths out much of the road noise and he is also fast although not as fast as a modern road bike. However for a 40 year old machine with only one gear he's no slouch :-) . He's a bike that's going to get a lot more use.
Maximum weight 128.5 kg
Minimum weight 83.0 kg

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:13 am

Gentle Reader,

Today has largely been a rest day. I went for a lazy 30 kms on the mountain bike but nothing beyond that.

My food for today has been:
Breakfast - Toast & baked beans,
Lunch - Potato, sweet potato, mixed vegetables & onion curry,
Snack - 2 rice cakes and peanut butter and liquorice allsorts
Dinner - Potato, sweet potato, mixed vegetables & onion curry,
Evening - Red wine

Overall not too bad so I give myself a score of 95% compliant.

Really I have nothing to report, just a nice easy relaxing day. Tomorrow it will be back into commuter mode.
Maximum weight 128.5 kg
Minimum weight 83.0 kg

Hamster

Postby Ege Bamyasi » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:35 pm

Last edited by Ege Bamyasi on Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ege Bamyasi

Postby Hamster » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:01 pm

Gentle Reader,

My activity for the day was
Morning – 15 kms bicycle
Lunch – 5 kms walk
Evening – 4 km walk
15 kms bicycle

My food for today has been:
Breakfast – Muesli & dilute apple juice,
Snack – dried fruit & raw unsalted nuts
Lunch – baked sweet potato, baked pumpkin & baked carrot,
Snack – Ryvita biscuit with low-fat cheddar & salsa
Dinner – vegetable curry,
- 2 rice cakes with peanut butter
Evening - Red wine

Overall not too bad, but a couple of poor choices so I give myself a score of 85% compliant. The cheese consumption is the one remaining dairy ‘food’ and that will soon be eliminated. The vegetable curries are working a treat, with even Mrs Hamster commenting favourably. With the evening glass of wine, what I think I’ll do is to buy myself a really nice small glass which will mean that the quantity consumed will go down and at the same time I’ll increase the quality hence my enjoyment might even increase.

I’m currently fairly relaxed with the fruit juice and dried fruit. I know that they both contain lots of simple carbohydrates but I’m burning around 1,700 calories per day through various activities.

A big source of calories for me is the nuts. If anyone reading this knows of a good lower calorie alternative could you please let me know.

Really not much else to report as life is going along in its usual manner. Oh, on my way home in the evening there is this HUGE hill I have to go up. When I first started to commute I had to walk up it then I started to ride up it and last night it seemed much easier.

Tomorrow here is a public holiday I’ll try to remember to take a few more pictures and post them here.
Maximum weight 128.5 kg
Minimum weight 83.0 kg

Hamster

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals