Start date 07/03/09 - mrfpratt's journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Start date 07/03/09 - mrfpratt's journal

Postby mrfpratt » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:46 pm

Feel awful today - woke up at 2 and couldn't go back to sleep - I am achy and exhausted - I know it is withdrawal from all the garbage and hopefully by Sunday I should be better
mrfpratt

Postby mrfpratt » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:54 am

It's Friday and I gave up wine as of weds and weaned myself down to that 1 cup of tea yesterday giving it up entirely this morning - was drinking way to much coffee which I ended on monday. Have felt awful all week - My body needed to do this! I know I will feel better once I get to the other side of this. this morning I went to the gym and got on the eliptical machine 30 minutes - 300 calories.
good things - feel calmer and less anxious (jumpy) wonder why LOL!!
down 2 pounds!

:)
mrfpratt

Postby mrfpratt » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:40 pm

Yesterday was a rough day - light headed and achy all day. Had oatmeal for breakfast with organic sugar free applesauce and cinamon lunch was a big salad, baked potato with kidney beans, dinner was broccili, potato and kidney beans and an orange. I am not snacking as I am afraid I would start my nibbling....
woke up weighed myself and lost 3 pounds! so I am down 5 pounds!
mrfpratt

Postby kirstykay » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:16 pm

You're doing great! The fact that you keep coming back here tells you that you KNOW in your heart that this works! Obviously, you are making a commitment this time to really be all in, and it shows! May this be the LAST time you have to go through the painful process of beginning again! This is your year to succeed! Glad you're here.

Peace
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby mrfpratt » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:49 am

Thanks Kirstykay - this is indeed the last time I will ever have to do this. I am feeling a bit better today and am going to the gym for a bit and then sit in the steam room as my reward for getting through this week. take care
mrfpratt

Postby mrfpratt » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:54 pm

Felt better everyday and I am so enjoying the calm feeling I have. Amazingly I have lost 7 pounds already! LOVE this!
mrfpratt

Postby mrfpratt » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:35 pm

Well I am now 2 weeks into the program and am feeling so much better!
Down 9 pounds which I truly find hard to believe AND I checked my BP at costco yesterday - It has been high for about 15 years and it has been running 145/96 last time it was checked - dr. gave me 6 months to get it down or he would add a med - I am happy to report it is 118/83!! I could not get over my eyes! In a stressful costco with my daughter my bp was that low!
My next hurdle is I am going on vacation FEB 11 for 7 days with my girlfriends - we do this every year great food - lots of wine sun and fun... I really need to mentally prepare for this!!!
mrfpratt

Postby frozenveg » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:39 pm

Yes, preparation is in order! Your >10 pound loss by the time Feb 11 rolls around will be part of your armor. Make plans for what you will eat, bring, get there, etc, so you can have a great time with your friends, and not derail your success, which is about much more than weight--it's about your well-being, too! ( I do still allow myself wine, and I don't feel guilty or worried about it...)
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby mrfpratt » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:50 pm

I can now celebrate!! Tomorrow I turn 51 and I gave myself the best present today!!! Had my yearly check up - been organic vegan since January - lost 57 lbs - bp normal dr took me off meds today - chol down 45 pts- trig down 101!!! My white blood count was 3.2 but thank you to this forum it is normal for healthy vegans - I was so worried!!
So happy birthday to me!!! Health is he best gift ever!!!
mrfpratt

Postby dlee » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:28 am

mrfpratt wrote:I can now celebrate!! Tomorrow I turn 51 and I gave myself the best present today!!! Had my yearly check up - been organic vegan since January - lost 57 lbs - bp normal dr took me off meds today - chol down 45 pts- trig down 101!!! My white blood count was 3.2 but thank you to this forum it is normal for healthy vegans - I was so worried!!
So happy birthday to me!!! Health is he best gift ever!!!

Congratulations! You're healthy and you appear to have unlocked the key to getting there. so to speak ....I enjoyed reading your journal and love this part the best Dlee
dlee

Postby janluvs2heel » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:10 am

I just went in & read your Journal. You went thru quite a bit & yet you won the battle.

Congratulations & Happy Birthday. What a wonderful gift you have given to yourself & your family.

PS How are your knees now that you have almost 60 lbs. off of them?
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby mrfpratt » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:51 pm

I have returned again To what I know works - my last log in was 2012 : /
my weight is up 10lbs from the 57 I lost in 2012 - I exercise 5 days a week - skate - play tennis BUT
My BP is unstable and has had a few big spikes .... -I don't want to drop dead off a heart attack or have a stroke!!!! Saturday my BP was 168/99 on hydrochlorothiazide...
I've also discover my potassium is low from that med which CAUSES Hugh blood pressure!!!! so I've been trying to eat more potassium rich foods
Anyway here I am today on day 3 of mcdougalling
I'm tired and probably detoxing off coffee my evening wine sugar chicken etc...
My BP is better everyday and today it's averaging @ 148/89.
mrfpratt

Postby f1jim » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:30 pm

So tell us what happened in the intervening time. And what ultimately brought you back into the fold.
Do you see this as a quick way to lose 10lbs or is this going to be a permanent lifestyle change?
Congrats on your previous efforts and good luck on achieving your new goals.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby mrfpratt » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:23 pm

From 2012 til now I began figure skating and I have actually competed and won! Physically I look pretty good - I have been eating ok but slowly fell away from entirely plant based but I was eating way healthier than your typical American diet so I thought I was fine - unfortunately I have had spikes in my BP - Saturday scared me when BP was so high - I know I can no longer eat the way I was ever again - when I get my #''s back down I can't think I'm perfectly healthy and slowly slip back into my usual foods - because this will keep happening -
I came back to my journal sort of like going to confession - I've confessed and now I want be absolved andnow I'm ready to do the work to get my health back
mrfpratt

Postby f1jim » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:58 pm

Rather than be absolved you should be congratulated on making a wise choice regarding your health. Many people, when they fall off the wagon, simple stay away to not face a seemingly embarrassing situation. We should really be praising you for being smart enough to do what is in your long term best interest. Like me, it took health concerns to get you serious about making permanent changes. I sometimes think we need a "wall of recommitted" to highlight those that realize what is at stake and act on it.
Keep us in the loop with your progress. Many will be watching and you will be a great model for others to follow.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals