Birdy Takes Flight

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Birdy Takes Flight

Postby Anna Green » Sun May 20, 2012 8:52 pm

Birdy, I hope all is well and you have the results soon. I was in a similar situation before and it's hard to say the least. Take some deep breaths. It's good you are exercising. It'll help with the stress.

Thanks for sharing info about speakers/articles.
Anna Green

Postby Birdy » Fri May 25, 2012 6:17 pm

Well, the doctor finally called and what she thought might be ovarian cancer turned out to be a small benign uterine fibroid. What a long two weeks. But with the good news, I was quickly over the scare.

I've been thinking about my static quality as regards my weight and am starting to think I just don't care how much I weigh. I know for certain that what motivates me as regards diet is concern for all the other creatures of the earth. That and I also really love plant foods. Another factor is that I'm not technically overweight, so it's easy to be complacent. The only problem with that is that I am far over the weight that was normal for me from the age of about 13 on until about my mid-forties. And being an apple shape, the 35 additional pounds are almost all in my trunk. I'm just tired of being perpetually stuck and perpetually preoccupied with food and weight. I want some peace around this.

I read a NY Times article recently about this subject and essentially it said that in order to lose weight and keep it off, you have to always be vigilant, always think about what you eat, always keep up an exercise program, etc. From the posts I've read by McDougallers, it seems that is the case. I'm tired of thinking about this, but especially I'm tired of being so ineffectual. Okay, I know I'm whining.

My hat is off to all of you who can do this and lose weight and continue in perpetuity. What is wrong with me that I can't or don't? There's the "something is wrong with me" mentality again that Dr. McDougall warns against.

On a lighter note, my cooking class is so fun. There are two great methods of fat free cooking that I'll share in my next post. I don't have enough time right now to explain. As mentioned, most of the chef's demos involve cooking with a lot of oil which is exactly the message I don't need around food.

Okay I'm through airing frustrations. I'll close by saying let's count our blessings!
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby Anna Green » Fri May 25, 2012 9:09 pm

Birdy, I felt your post in my gut. The struggle is so exhausting. You know my history and that although I've been successful in losing and keeping off a lot of weight, I have never reached my goal and I go off plan often enough that the struggle is still there. I do remember however a time when I had been on plan long enough that I had thoughts such as "what's the big deal, this isn't hard!" I also remember thinking I could do it till I die, with enjoyment. I'm not there yet but I see it coming. I've just decided I hate the struggle and when I push the thoughts of SAD out of my head and focus on my healthy food, I really like it. It's good stuff and satisfying. I did just have to talk myself out of SAD on the way home tonight. It's Fri night, the night I've always ate a bunch of crap except when on plan. What kept me from it tonight was not the health issue, or the weight. I just can't stand the struggle any more and I want to let it go. And I believe as they tell me here that after awhile I won't want the SAD. I'll be content with health.

I don't know tomorrow what I'll do but I'm hoping I'll take good care of myself. I hope that for you too. Keep at it. Keep coming back because the time you spend here is time spent on conscious living. And really that's what all of us are trying to do- for the environment, to end the suffering of animals, and for ourselves. Plus we all need a place to whine. Geez, have you heard my gumbo whine?
Anna Green

Postby Birdy » Sun May 27, 2012 12:24 am

Well that's an interesting perspective about "pushing the SAD foods away" and after a while the struggle finally eases because the desires quiet down. Caldwell Esselstyn says it takes about 3 months of a strict no-fat-added plant foods diet for the fat cravings to go away.

Another thing I'm aware of is cognitive dissonance where I have all this knowledge and beliefs and feelings (head stuff) about diet, health, weight and exercise, but then there's the gap between that and my behavior. Not walking the talk to put it simply. Another aspect is the pull of our society. There are, after all, millions of overweight people. I believe (maybe falsely) that this exerts a strong influence psychologically on me and probably on many people. It's hard to go against what you grow up with and see all around you, and heck even whom you live with. But I know it's very possible because lots of you are doing it and sharing your stories here.

I'm really trying to figure this out. Meanwhile I am awed by your success Anna and the successes of so many other people who post here.

On another topic, one of the dishes prepared in the cooking class that I liked very much is a fresh pressed salad. You use any combination of sturdy vegetables and fruit (for example, you don't use something like lettuce that would get soggy). So I bought kale, red pepper, fennel, cucumber, red onion and radishes to combine with a red Bartlett pear. You chop everything and toss it in a bowl with a generous pinch or two of sea salt and a splash of ume plum vinegar. Put a plate that will fit down inside the bowl and weight it with a heavy object. Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes and serve. This isn't good for leftovers or as a main dish (too salty), so make just enough to use as a side salad. No oil and it tastes absolutely light and delicious. I plan to make it tomorrow night for dinner and serve with baked potatoes and a ff black bean sauce.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to start the day right with oatmeal cooked with a few raisins and topped with a banana and a tablespoon of ground flax seeds. If I do really well I'll drink tea instead of coffee. Exercise: walking - good old walking.

Have a safe and fun weekend!
Birdy

Postby Anna Green » Sun May 27, 2012 8:57 am

I just realized I felt relief at your news about the ovarian cancer but did not express it. I don't know why I thought that may be what you were worried about but I did. Could be because I had that same scare. Ain't no fun at all.

I have a hard time too reconciling my values, knowledge and behavior. One thing I'm doing is trying to act regardless how I feel. I know the feelings will come. This one is especially hard. I had to not go to a movie yesterday in part because I was afraid of eating crud. In the past I've brought crunchy garbanzos, strawberries and such and been fine. I wasn't that prepared yesterday. I hear you about the social pressure. It's enormous. You don't eat crawfish around here and you must be a communist or something. Friday night I was at a friend's brother's house. He had prepared with a lot of effort, guacamole and a green salsa among other foods. I felt bad about not eating anything. So I took one tortilla and dipped the salsa so I could rave about how good it was. And it was. And it lit up my taste buds. Went home saying no out loud to all the stuff along the way I could have stopped for and ate my good food. Can't wait till this is easier.

Ahh....I just keep thinking if not now...when? So you will see me alot here trying to keep my head where it needs to be. I'm glad you are here too.
Anna Green

Postby sksamboots » Sun May 27, 2012 9:27 pm

Birdy,

It sounds like you are making some good steps that will all add up long-term. Such a great progression--keep on keepin on :nod:
sksamboots

Postby Birdy » Mon May 28, 2012 5:56 pm

Anna, I really like your statement about "trying to act regardless how I feel." That makes a lot of sense. I'm also very glad you're here.

Boots thanks for your encouragement. That word is interesting isn't it? Putting courage into...And I'm definitely trying to make progress. It's funny because you can't progress with this dietary change unless you're honest with yourself. That's what I'm finding out.

So I left out one important instruction about the pressed salad (which is what I realized last night when I made it for dinner and it didn't "press"). You have to mix the salt and ume vinegar in with your clean hands sort of massaging it into the vegetables before placing a weighted plate or bowl on top. My salad was good but it did not taste as good as the chef's did.

I did my strength training yesterday, but didn't walk, so today I walk and tomorrow strength train. In Dr. McDougall's book The Starch Solution, a woman Deb Tasic's story is given. She's recovered from MS and she looks so great. In addition to the McDougall diet, she walks and strength trains. She's my age or maybe a little older and I was inspired by her. I think you can find her story on the Star McDougaller page on this website.

Breakfast tomorrow: oatmeal with raisins.
Lunch tomorrow: leftovers from dinner tonight (tonight I'm making the ff black bean sauce that we ended up not having last night and will serve it over tortillas that are filled with chopped baked potato, corn, and vegetables) or if we don't have any leftovers, I'll have to think of something else for lunch tomorrow.
Dinner tomorrow night: Mary McDougall's Picnic Lentil Salad served over raw spinach with a side of brown rice.

I'm coming to the conclusion that it might be a good idea to buy a microwave. I've never owned one and haven't wanted one, but they seem to be so easy for making quick breakfasts and for things like baked potatoes, defrosting and reheating. Am still hemming and hawing trying to decide since they're not cheap....

That's it for now.
Have a great week 8)
Birdy

Postby Anna Green » Wed May 30, 2012 7:56 pm

Birdy, wow, no nuking? I like that. I've always had mixed feelings about it though I use it often It is convenient.

So what are you doing for strength training?
Anna Green

Postby Anna Green » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:56 pm

Hey, whatcha say? Hope you are well.
Anna Green

Postby Birdy » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:00 am

Hey Anna. I'm okay, but had food poisoning on Monday and it aggravated a stomach ulcer so I've been getting over that. My sixteen year old daughter was also ill, but seems to have recovered. Yesterday, I got news from my older daughter that she was in a motorcycle accident Saturday night and was injured, but not seriously so, thank goodness. That probably didn't help the ulcer. Anyway, I'm using this series of events to "kick start" a better McDougall diet and I stopped (of necessity) drinking coffee so am going to stay away from it from now on. It's not good for me anyway.

My weight is down, but it doesn't really count because of being illness induced. So I'll wait until next week to change the ticker if need be.

Not much else to say today...
Birdy

Postby Birdy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:56 pm

testing - trying for the third time to post
Birdy

Postby Birdy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:01 pm

Weird. I wrote a very long message and tried to post it, but was logged out and lost the whole thing. Then I tried to post a very short update of my day, but the same thing happened. Then the test worked.

I won't put much into this since I'm tired of trying to post today. I'm finally feeling better and ate my full meal tonight for dinner - the first since Sunday night. No exercise this week so far, but I hope to get my DH out the door now for a half hour walk before dark.

More later...
Birdy

Postby Birdy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:05 pm

After not eating much for most of this week, I get the idea of fasting to "reboot" one's taste buds and appetite. Yesterday I had some corn chips that tasted horribly salty to me (I've eaten these many times) and also I noticed that even the fat of a slice of avocado tasted strong.

I'm still drinking only one cup of fairly weak tea in the mornings, and hope to stick to that. Not having much caffeine makes me feel better for sure.

Today I'm weeding a very overgrown flower bed in between pouring rain showers. Hope to go for a bicycle ride today, but will walk if not bike. I need to strength train after being sick all week and skipping it, but will probably not get around to it until tomorrow.

Breakfast: oatmeal for breakfast with blueberries and a cup of tea.
Snack: almonds
Lunch: brown rice with red beans & lightly water-sauteed vegetables
Dinner: not sure yet

Have a good weekend!
Birdy

Postby Anna Green » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:39 pm

Hey! Glad you are feeling better! I hear you about the taste buds changing. Today I had some brown rice that almost tasted buttery to me. Of course there was no butter in them. Keep at that exercise. It makes all the difference for me in terms of my compliance.
Anna Green

Postby Birdy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:03 am

Thanks Anna. Yesterday I did strength training and went for a 40 minute walk. Today I'm not sure what I'll do - either a walk or a bike ride. I bought a gel seat a few days ago to make the seat more comfortable. Now all I have to do is start getting out on the bike.

I read in Dr. McDougall's book about some experiment where the subjects ate a whole bunch of bread everyday for a period of months and lost significant amounts of weight. I'm scratching my head over that because I had decided that eating a lot of bread (without butter or fatty toppings) caused me to gain weight. Now I'm wondering.

We're going on vacation in a week to visit my husband's family in Santa Cruz and I'm SO looking forward to being on the ocean there. Here's hoping it's sunny and warm the whole time. We had an 80 degree day yesterday, but today it's back to chilly weather and rain for the rest of the week.

Breakfast today: bread and tea
Snack: banana
Lunch: pasta and vegetable salad - it has mayo in it : (
Snack: tea and an orange
Dinner: Mary McDougall's enchiladas & a green salad

Have good one!
Birdy

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals