Laura Goes Veggie

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Laura Goes Veggie

Postby fulenn » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:33 pm

So sorry to hear about the cancer. I don't know much about what you are dealing with health-wise (I'll read your journal this evening), just that this has helped so many people with such a large variety of health issues that I am still amazed.

Best wishes and let us know how we can support you.

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby LauraVeg » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:52 pm

Hi, fulenn. I'm afraid my journal wont be very revealing. My last post here was six months ago, well before the cancer diagnosis. At that time my diet was all over the place. I guess I just felt a need to check in here for some reason. Right now I admit I'm not McDougalling, since I'm afraid of high blood sugar/insulin due to starches. I'm eating about equal amounts of leafy green veg and meat.

I'm also meditating and exercising a lot.

(ETA: Yeah, I know my comment about meat doesn't sync with my avatar. Life is all about compromises, I guess.)
LauraVeg

Postby fulenn » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:00 pm

I meditate, too, and have found it to really be helpful for me.

Take good care of yourself as you work through this. Still here to give support in any way I can. :)

Fulenn

edited to add: sometimes when the REALLY difficult things happen, we all just want to go home, or the equivalent warm and sequre place. Maybe this place is that for you.
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby LauraVeg » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:07 pm

fulenn wrote:I meditate, too, and have found it to really be helpful for me.

Take good care of yourself as you work through this. Still here to give support in any way I can. :)

Fulenn

edited to add: sometimes when the REALLY difficult things happen, we all just want to go home, or the equivalent warm and sequre place. Maybe this place is that for you.

That was very kind, and possibly (as in you might be right) very insightful. Thanks, fulenn.
LauraVeg

Postby f1jim » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:11 pm

I too am sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Cancer is always an ugly thing to deal with.
Does this mean that FODMAPS is still the revelation you found it to be or are you once again searching for a new answer? It seems that virtually all the data I have seen in regards to cancer prevention/tumor growth all shows the plant based diet to be head and shoulders above a high meat/protein diet. Every hormone tied to acceleration of tumor growth seems enhanced by the consumption of animal products and dairy. There seems little reason for confusion if looking at peer reviewed literature. I am not sure what literature would point someone to anything else but I'd love to see it.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby LauraVeg » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:14 pm

f1jim wrote:I too am sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Cancer is always an ugly thing to deal with.
Does this mean that FODMAPS is still the revelation you found it to be or are you once again searching for a new answer? It seems that virtually all the data I have seen in regards to cancer prevention/tumor growth all shows the plant based diet to be head and shoulders above a high meat/protein diet. Every hormone tied to acceleration of tumor growth seems enhanced by the consumption of animal products and dairy. There seems little reason for confusion if looking at peer reviewed literature. I am not sure what literature would point someone to anything else but I'd love to see it.
f1jim

Hi, Jim. I was doing very well, digestion-wise, with FODMAPS. When I got the cancer diagnosis, I got scared and started searching for answers. Of course, the weight of evidence seems to be on the side of vegan, so I went to plant-based. And, of course, my stomach problems began anew. (Don't talk to my husband...he'd just say "I told you so".) So then, of course, I was left adrift, confused and scared.

In my search for answers, I did find that there is one antioxidant that has been proven to shrink tumors and is found only in meat - carnosine. I say that not to be provocative, but just to show that this is a very deep, unknown and confusing subject.

I don't know why I'm back here. Maybe, as fulen said, it's because McDougall feels like a "warm and secure" place.

I guess all this is to say that I'm not "searching anew", but searching still. And I'd like to think that my friends here are also trying to find the best way to health.

ETA: There are studies showing that ketogenic diets can shrink tumors. When you actually have cancer, that's not something to be sneezed at. :(
Last edited by LauraVeg on Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LauraVeg

Postby LauraVeg » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:17 pm

Debbie. wrote:
LauraVeg wrote:On August 15 of this year, my gyno told me I had uterine cancer.

I am so so sorry :crybaby: :crybaby: My heart aches for you in every way imaginable. With all that has happened, I have nothing to offer you other than condolences and good wishes. Oh and prayers, lots of them.

Take care. :)

Thank you so much, Debbie. Prayer means the world to me. My biopsy showed that I had a very aggressive form of cancer, but the tumor was small and caught early (stage 1, grade 3), and, based on all factors, it was decided that I did not need any adjuvant therapy. Of course, I believe that diet is very important, so I've been reading everything available and trying to make sure the odds of recurrence are in my favor.
LauraVeg

Postby BeansNRice » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:43 pm

Hi Laura,

Firstly I want to say I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. *hugs*

Second I want to acknowledge your struggles and confusion with diet. I too have struggled for months trying to figure out what will work best for me and my body... Still trying to sort that out! My only experience with mcdougalling is like yours, gastric distress but emotionally, I know plant based is right for me... I was following this lifestyle quite well for June & July and lost 7 pounds, but for about 4-5 weeks had the same gastric symptoms you had....so awful. But I found my body adjusted and symptoms slowly started to go away.... Then I fell off the wagon and started eating high fat lacto veg up until 2 weeks ago. I haven't been perfect, but I am trying! You have to do what works for you, but personally, if I was you.... I'd try again, give it more time for your body to adjust maybe, and try the regular program if you need to! I lost 7 pounds in 5 weeks following the reg program... Now to get back on and stick
To it. I can even be your buddy if you like! I've been going it alone myself, and it's no fun...

I don't know if you want advise, please tell me to buzz off it you like! I personally would eat a ton of raw leafy greens, sweet orators and carrots and fruit along with whatever diet you choose :)

Actual Restart date: June 22, 2013
BeansNRice

Postby BeansNRice » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:47 pm

That should say sweet potatoes... Lol... Darn Autocorrect!

Anyways, take care of yourself. I'm no expert but feel free to message me anytime for support or if you need an ear :)

Actual Restart date: June 22, 2013
BeansNRice

Postby Katydid » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:49 am

So sorry about you diagnosis, Laura. Here is a link to the PCRM's Cancer Project resource list:
http://www.cancerproject.org/resources/index.php
Hope this helps.
Might I also recommend Dr. Joel Fuhrman's new book Super Immunity? He spends much of the book talking about the best foods for fighting cancer and strengthening the immune system against illness. Best Wishes,
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby janluvs2heel » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:30 am

Laura,

I am also very sorry to hear about your cancer but also great news that you caught it early.

Some hard decisions for you, which path to take? I am not the one to give you advice but I do hope that you find what works for you.

Sending prayers your way as well.
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby LauraVeg » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:19 pm

BeansNRice wrote:My only experience with mcdougalling is like yours, gastric distress but emotionally, I know plant based is right for me.

That describes it perfectly. Emotionally, it's what seems right for me and is what I want. In practice...problems.

BeansNRice wrote: I found my body adjusted and symptoms slowly started to go away...

This is good to hear. I tend to spend a LOT of time researching, and that may not be such a good thing. After lots of reading, I decided I was intolerant of starches and lots of other foods. My doctor said it sounded worthwhile, so I started following the FODMAPS diet. I really thought I was just missing the right enzymes for digesting certain foods, which are the mainstays of McDougall. I guess I could just try giving it more time. Then again, I'm still worried about blood glucose and insulin. Cancer feeds on sugar, and a starchy diet worries me.

BeansNRice wrote: lost 7 pounds in 5 weeks following the reg program..

That's another thing! I really need to lose weight. Statistics show that overweight people are much more likely to have a cancer recurrence. I spent a lot of time on lowcarb, but I never really lost any appreciable amount of weight on it.

BeansNRice wrote:I can even be your buddy if you like! I've been going it alone myself, and it's no fun...

That's a really nice invitation. I can't accept, though, until I'm sure what diet I'm going to be following.

BeansNRice wrote:I personally would eat a ton of raw leafy greens, sweet orators and carrots and fruit along with whatever diet you choose :)

Sounds like a plan.
Last edited by LauraVeg on Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LauraVeg

Postby LauraVeg » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:21 pm

Katydid wrote:So sorry about you diagnosis, Laura. Here is a link to the PCRM's Cancer Project resource list:
http://www.cancerproject.org/resources/index.php
Hope this helps.
Might I also recommend Dr. Joel Fuhrman's new book Super Immunity? He spends much of the book talking about the best foods for fighting cancer and strengthening the immune system against illness. Best Wishes,
Kate

Thanks, Kate. Great advice! That link is among my bookmarks, and I just bought Super Immunity just last week.
LauraVeg

Postby LauraVeg » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:22 pm

janluvs2heel wrote:Laura,

I am also very sorry to hear about your cancer but also great news that you caught it early.

Some hard decisions for you, which path to take? I am not the one to give you advice but I do hope that you find what works for you.

Sending prayers your way as well.

Thank you so much. I truly appreciate any and all prayers and good thoughts.
LauraVeg

Postby LauraVeg » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:29 pm

After reading and responding to your posts, I'm starting to think that a diet closer to Dr. Fuhrman's might be the right thing, just giving my body more time to adjust.

So far, I've been juicing my greens to avoid excessive fiber, and completely avoiding the things my body can't handle, like onions and beans.
LauraVeg

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals