Good Friday Food Diary

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby talkingmountain » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:44 pm

Hey everyone, thanks for stopping by my journal & giving encouragement.

The past week or so has been really good. Down to just 1/4 full-caf and no sodas, and have been able to avoid my usual high-fat "trigger" foods. Mostly b/c of the antibiotic I'm on, but hey I'll take advantage of the loss of appetite to form some new habits!

Gotta run but hope to check out ya'll's journals soon!
Cured: severe reflux, chronic pain, pre-diabetes. More to come!
Join me at my McDougall journal, "Recommitting" http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29811
talkingmountain

Tues 10/20/09 food log

Postby talkingmountain » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:22 am

The prednisone seems to be making me want to overeat, even though I'm not hungry, and I've been eating way too much the past 2 days. Also eating candy & cake, which I'd all but lost my taste for just a wk ago. Arrgh.

I've lost my sense of smell completely. Hopefully it will come back when the antibiotics are done. I think that's affecting why I want to eat so much - my body wants to keep putting something in it's mouth in a desperate attempt to sense some flavor. But the sense smell affects the sense of taste so much, it's like nothing has any real flavor.

Breakfast - 2 c cereal (ww flakes & honey nut cheerios, mixed), almond milk, 1 sm banana. Too much sugar in cheerios.

Coffee w/soy milk, a sm vegan but NOT McD pineapple muffin (did NOT need this), dark-chocolate-covered dried fig.

Lunch - Imagine Foods Low-Sodium corn soup plus mixed w/sm can of canned corn (rinsed first).
4 sm bell peppers, sliced & "zero-fat" hummos for dipping.
I'm stuffed but still want to eat more soup. Am going to put it in refrig for later.

Planned dessert for later - orange &/or banana.
Planned munchies for later - celery.
Join me at my McDougall journal, "Recommitting" http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29811
talkingmountain

Postby sksamboots » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:27 am

Hope you feel better soon :)
sksamboots

Postby Letha.. » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:18 pm

Just stopped by to say hi. Sending you healthy vibes.
Letha
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby rebecca » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:02 pm

Hi talkingmountain,
I too have lost my sense of smell and taste do to a head cold. It is a good thing because I really haven't wanted dessert. I have been eating really spicy foods because thats one thing I can taste. Hope you feel better soon! :)
rebecca

Postby talkingmountain » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:31 pm

Well I ate some totally off-limits food (cream pie, for example) on Wed last week and I was so miserable with reflux for 2 days that I don't ever want to do that again! My chest actually hurt from the reflux.

Today's been pretty good. The reflux has settled down.

Breakfast - oatmeal & banana.
Snack - 2 fig newmans.
Lunch - Home-made pad thai tofu (w/tons of sugar snap peas & mung bean sprouts. yum!).
Supper - steamed broccoli w/lemon juice, leftover mashed potatoes.
Dessert - 2 newman-o's

I'm still hungry so I think I'll have some cereal.

At the farmers market this morning I got tons of bell peppers & sweet potatoes. Just finished cutting up about 10 cups of bell peppers into strips & covering w/water, per Sandie's & Nancy's method discussed in MWL thread. I added a splash of vinegar to hopefully keep them fresh longer. But I did read that they'll lose a good bit of vitamin C this way.

Now am going to do the same w/celery & cauliflower. Tomorrow I hope it's cold out, so roasting a bunch of sweet potatoes warms up the house.
talkingmountain

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:18 pm

your menus sound good...too bad about the reflux following the cream pie, but it's a blessing in disguise, eh? there is NO food worth that kind of pain...

keep on doing it! your journal is always a blessing to read.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Anna Green » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:48 am

Pad Thai! Share please the recipe. Don't you just love the farmer's market? We get a box of veggies for $25. This week it included shitake shroons and asian pears!

Glad you are feeling better.
Anna Green

Postby talkingmountain » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:46 pm

Anna, I confess to using a bottled sauce (it had no forbidden ingredients and was low in fat) for the pad thai. Can't remember the brand. The sauce is meant for only a cup or two of veggies, so I'm stretching it a lot by adding a so many more veggies.

Saute about a cup of cubed tofu in a bit of juice until nicely browned. Add garlic & about 3-5 cups of sugar snap peas or snow peas, and saute till the peas are bright green. Don't let the garlic burn. Then add about 3-5 cups of mung bean sprouts, a cup of chopped cilantro (or less if you're not a cilantro fan). Pour on the sauce, and heat till warmed through. Meanwhile, boil water and put the rice noodles in to soak. Or, serve over whole-grain rice.

Food-wise, today was a bust. I ate total crap. Let myself get too hungry, & then let that hunger be an excuse for eating to manage stress & anger of work issues.

BUT, I spent the evening washing & cutting veggies & putting them in my new 9-cup storage tubs. I have bell peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, daikon, arugula, and grapes all ready to go. And yesterday I baked acorn squash, onions, garlic, potatoes, & sweet potatoes. So I have plenty of good foods on hand.

Tomorrow is a new day.
talkingmountain

Postby Letha.. » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:32 pm

talkingmountain wrote:BUT, I spent the evening washing & cutting veggies & putting them in my new 9-cup storage tubs. I have bell peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, daikon, arugula, and grapes all ready to go. And yesterday I baked acorn squash, onions, garlic, potatoes, & sweet potatoes. So I have plenty of good foods on hand.

Tomorrow is a new day.

There you go. Begin again. Hope the rest of your week is peaceful and productive. :)
Letha
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby talkingmountain » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:40 pm

So today went a lot better. Not good really -- wayyyy too much sugar -- but at least I ate plenty of real, whole, plant foods.

Home-made stir-fry w/whole-grain rice for lunch. Peppers w/fat-free hummos for snack. Grapes. Whole-grain spaghetti w/tomato sauce & an awesome salad for supper.

Tomorrow should be even better. I'm packing my tiffin w/more salad, a sweet potato, peppers, & some wraps. I feel like I can handle a lower-sugar day tomorrow. For some reason today I just felt like it would overwhelm me to cut out the sugar too.

Oh, the salad - I want to remember this "recipe"- it was very satisfying for a fall day:
- Mixture of baby spinach & arugula
- Chopped up already-baked sweet potato, onion, fennel, & jerusalem artichoke; warmed all that up with a few pine nuts & dried cranberries.
- Tossed w/3-2-1 dressing.
talkingmountain

Switching to a new journal thread ("Dare I Commit?"

Postby talkingmountain » Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Well, I made a post today and accidentally put it as a new journal thread rather than as a post within this existing "Good Friday Food Diary" journal thread.

But, since I'm trying for the first time to really go 100% McD, I guess I'll just continue posting in that new journal thread.

So, I hope to see some of you there. The new journal thread is called "Dare I Commit?"
talkingmountain

Re: Good Friday Food Diary

Postby Anna Green » Fri May 25, 2012 9:15 pm

Hi! Glad to see you but I couldn't find the Dare I Commit except an old one. Anyway, welcome back! And yes, dare, dare, dare!
Anna Green

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals