141 by 41 Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby 141 by 41 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:21 am

Wish I could chuck a sweet potato at this person's head.

"I gave up because I don't think my health problems are caused by the foods I'm eating and it didn't seem worth the trouble. I'm already suffering most of the time, why make my life harder than it already is?"

She doing the SB diet and has lost weight but she's gained a whole giant batch of health problems (constipation, diarrhea, stomach aches, headaches, sinus issues, etc.).
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
141 by 41

Postby Bambie113 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:52 am

I know what you mean 141! Isn't that hard? I always feel I want to help but then I want to slap em' up side the head too! My uncle just had 2 minor strokes but the doctor told him that it wasn't at all from his diet and he could still eat what he wanted!! I tried telling him even if it wasn't eating the SAD, he will only make it worse by sticking with it.. But my efforts were not a source of knowledge but just a lecture to him.. It is sad to see people make these decisions.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wTiqtcQ/]
[/url]
Bambie113

Postby Letha » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:22 am

Sorry to hear about your Dad. A cancer diagnosis in the family is so stressful. It’s great that you are looking out for yourself by eating healthy sweet potatoes and passing on the chocolate and beer. Best wishes.
Letha
Letha

Postby 141 by 41 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:14 pm

Letha Thank you. Sure would be nicer if it was just some "idea" and not a reality. :cry:

Bambie113 My DD tells me it wouldn't be so nice to chuck things at people but ......... there are those times!!! Especially when, doggoneit, a body doesn't have to be sick - just change what you're eating and TA-DUH you get better!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dad came home from the hospital yesterday. Turns out he had E. Coli acquired from the biopsies - nearly killed him before he even got to the cancer battlefield! GEEZ! :mad: Surgery isn't scheduled yet - delayed until he gets his strength back.

As for me - eating is spastic. Still real food but spastic for the what/when/where. "Making" food is a struggle -- nuking a tater, not a problem ... mixing more than one ingredient together ... problem. I know this will get better as the stress levels out so I'm not too worried yet. It boggled my mind yesterday that "we" eat SO MUCH and SO OFTEN!

I did get some stairs in during Dad's hospital stay -- there's only so much sitting I can stand to do, so I'd run the hospital stairwell every hour or so. Calves are pretty tight from it but no other soreness. Yesterday got a nice, hilly 30-minute walk in while the sun was shining. This morning woke up at 4:30 and headed to the gym for a longer treadmill session. I think I could've stayed doing that for a few hours -- just long enough to get some of this energy worn off. I'm either exhausted or restless.

Water - yup, still getting that down. It's EASY to fix! :P

I'm hanging in there and I'm DOING this (MWL) because it seems the only thing I can actually control right now. It's my sanity knot I'm clinging to. :nod:
141 by 41

Postby Letha » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:48 am

E. Coli from the biopsies? How did you find out? Did they tell you that? I think I’d be chatting to an attorney. It all sounds so stressful. Good for you staying on plan and using exercise instead of food to break up your day. Hang in there.
Letha
Letha

Postby 141 by 41 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:21 pm

Letha Yes, from the biopsies. It's one of those "possible complications" of the procedure. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't -- this time it did. :(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Still eating real food but yesterday and this morning, nothing sounds good at all. I know any day now my love of eating will return again and then I'll be worried about how much I'm eating!! :lol:

Walked about 9 miles yesterday - thought my legs would be heavy/sore today but there's none of that. I plan to get outside for a few walks today even though it's grey/raining. I keep thinking with all the movement I'm doing the last week or so, I'd wake up to these DRASTIC changes in my body but so far ... I wake up in the same body I went to bed in. ;-) Although it does feel different when I put my hand, say, on my waist -- I can't quite put to words why it feels different but it does ... more firm? indented? curved? I don't know -- it's just different.

Water is good and refreshing. Still getting in my 2 liters and some days a little extra.
141 by 41

Postby Becky » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:36 pm

Wow, 141, sounds like you have been dealing with a lot of stress! Hang in there - you are doing great keeping on track with the eating, that is awesome!

Take care,
Becky
See how I am McDougallizing the recipes in
Robin Roberston's "1000 Vegan Recipes" -
https://testing-1000vr.blogspot.com/
Becky

Postby 141 by 41 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:16 am

Becky Thank you!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Starting reading a book called "Keeping It Off" by Robert H. Colvin and Susan C. Olson. This book was mentioned in the other book I've been reading "Thin for Life". ~I like to read~ :P

Anyways there was a section that really hit home for me yesterday and I'm posting it here just in case it resonates with others. The bold is my insertion, not the book's.

"The one big mistake is waiting to have your rescue carried out for you. By your wife or husband, by your parents, friends or clergyman, by your lawyer, accountant, analyst, psychiatrist or guru, by anyone. They are not here now. When you need them most, now, they are out to lunch. Not only that, but some of them are very expensive.

Who you need is you. You, your best friend, closest ally, greatest sympathizer, most sincere admirer and flatterer, most trusted confident -- and perhaps just as often your most savage critic. You, where it hurts, where it's lonely and chaotic, full of worries and unwelcome surprises. The victim needs himself. The one in need of rescue must undertake it himself in behalf of himself."

And this old fable (Little Red Hen) comes back to me so many times when I feel that I'm doing everything -- mainly because I AM doing everything!

From the book:

"If you have all the responsibility, and you have to do the job all by yourself, then the results of the effort are all yours. You don't have to -- indeed, you mustn't -- share them with anyone else."

Eating healthy, exercising and repeating the process day-after-day is a solitary choice. Yes, there are supporters and cheerleaders along the way. There are also critics and naysayers along the way. But on the way, it's only YOU or to more personalize it, ME.

I choose what goes in my mouth. I choose to how and when to move my body. Nobody can do this for me, I must do it myself for myself.
141 by 41

Postby 141 by 41 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:42 am

Continued to read the book last night ("Keeping It Off" by Robert H. Colvin and Susan C. Olson). It is so right on the mark. Last night's section was about the parent/child within some of us when we diet. The "parent" is reprimanding, withholding, punishing and the "child" is tempermental and rebellious. The "child" wants to "sneak" the bad foods and gorge but the parent scolds and hides/removes the food. The authors put it mo' betta than me, that's for sure! :nod: I'm liking this read - it's giving me insights so my choices are a little wider. More knowledge = better understanding.

Also happening this week is a weight gain. Definitely not significant at 0.8 pounds but an awakening still the same. I've been eating 100% real foods this week - granted, not consistently eating but WHEN eating, it's only been whole, natural and unprocessed. Exercise has absolutely tanked though. With all the stress and worry, lack of adequate intake of calories to burn, energy for exercise has been non-existent. It has shown it many ways and this morning it showed on the scale. Even though I'm eating super good, my body still needs to have the movement/exercise to use the extra fat and begin to deplete the stores.

I am not one of the ones that can simply change the way I eat and the weight just drops off me. I am one of the fortunate ones that must MOVE DA BODY and am able to do so at this point.

This week's goals:

1. Continue eating real food
2. MOVE DA BODY every day at least 60 minutes
141 by 41

Postby 141 by 41 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:39 am

Changed my ticker to reflect the change to my weight loss goal. This represents my first 'small win' goal of getting out of the 'obese' section and into the "overweight" section of the BMI charts.
141 by 41

Postby 141 by 41 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:51 am

191.2 by this morning's scale and bygum, I'm gonna count it even if it is past Thursday!!! :D Celebrating each downward move of the scale! 8)

Also ... remember a few weeks ago I mentioned the pants that I could get on but were still a little obscene for public? Well, everyone, guess what I'm wearing today!??! YUP - those pants!! I tried them on this morning, zipped just fine, looked in the mirror and hey, I don't look so bad! The scale might not be zipping downward quickly enough but I know I'm losing inches because things are fitting so much better!

And it being FRIDAY .... it's gonna be a goooood day!!!!

Gotta add this - again! The book, read some more last night, was explaining that most of the winners customized their own eating plans. That concept was stressed throughout the chapter. In order to succeed in permanent weight loss, your eating must be something that you have 100% ownership of, not something that you go on/off from such as a "diet". Also, because the ownership is 100% yours, the results you get are 100% yours as well. It bolsters the self-esteem, it bolsters the self-control, it bolsters all the positive actions because there isn't a sense of an outside force making the choices for you.

I'm really REALLY liking this book!

And, so far, nothing specific about what to eat - there is no food plan within the book that I've seen so far. These are examples and stories of people who've lost between 20 pounds and 200+ pounds, keeping it off for a long time -- some over 25 years and counting.
141 by 41

Postby toadfood » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:53 pm

Yay for pants that zip! You're doing great!

That book sounds really interesting. Is it based on the National Weight Control Registry, like Thin for Life was?

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Postby Letha » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:49 am

You sound so positive and motivated. Congratulations on lost inches. I’m so happy for you. Hope you’re having a good weekend. :)
Letha
Letha

Postby 141 by 41 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:58 pm

Letha Thanks!! Reading these two books are really clearing the weight/diet clutter out of the brain.

Toadfood The book is heavily referenced in "Thin for Life", that was the reason I started reading it. It seems that it's on it's own independent study of "Winners" as they call the "Masters" from "Thin for Life". The information is very closely related; however, presented in a different way so it seems that I'm getting a double-dose of information when it might not be the same for others. BOTH books are worthy of the time and energy it takes in getting and reading them.

~~~~

BINGE weekend :eek: :lol:

I don't really know if this weekend can be called a "binge" because of the quantities. As you know, LOADS TONS MEGA stress for me lately and I've done pretty good with the food until this last weekend. I'm not even feeling guilty about it either!!

Was wanting that elusive "something" that was just going to be "it" but didn't find it in the Oreos (ate 2 cookies - yuk), Ho-Hos (old reliable, at 1/2 log - yuk), and honey dijon chips (ate one chip - yes, you can eat just one - where'd all the grease come from? I don't remember that!! - yuk).

My DD was in sugar/fat heaven -- since we don't have this stuff in the house and I wasn't eating it, she had a craze sugar rush/crash glut from it all.

Ended up eating about 2 pounds of fresh asparagus, 1/2 fresh pineapple, 1 whole papaya, and veggie stir non-fry without noodles or rice. THOSE taste like real food --- still didn't hit "the spot" though. :?
141 by 41

Postby Letha. » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:46 am

Sounds like you self-corrected your slide down the slippery slope. Good for you. :)
Letha
Letha.

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals