141 by 41 Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby 141 by 41 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:17 pm

It's Thursday!?!? I'm losing track of my days this week!! Didn't realize today was Thursday = weigh in day, so I'll have to do it tomorrow morning. The upside to losing track of days .... tomorrow is SUDDENLY Friday! Yeah - the weekend is almost here!!!

It's been a rough week, again, and the food choices are now taking the hit. It's the only thing left that hasn't been effected so it isn't surprising - glad it's escaped thus far. Next week's focus is eating, then eating healthy food when eating and also add back exercise. I've been missing that SO MUCH but completely wiped out energy-wise so it just hasn't happened.

The weather is starting to turn to SPRING and I'll be getting outside more and more. VERY MUCH looking forward to that!

And I'm reading another book called "Pocket Powter" by Susan Powter. Remember her from years ago? Well, the little book is just Q&A style and there's some pretty good bits in it. "Politics of Stupid", also by her, is ready for me to pick up at the library. Should be able to get through it this weekend.

Got any good books that are worth reading? Let me know, I'm always up for a book. :nod:
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
141 by 41

Postby 141 by 41 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:59 am

"Pocket Powter" turned out to be a very quick read. EXCELLENT way to spend time! There wasn't much in the book about exactly WHAT to eat -- there were pushes for low-fat, high-volume, quality foods but nothing with "eat this" or "don't eat that". And the positive, YOU CAN DO IT messages throughout the entire book!! WOW! Loving them! The messages of getting lean, getting healthy, getting strong --- love those too!!!

I'm really cuing into messages that give or require or demand or whatever the appropriate word is the responsibility, the choice, the decision to THE PERSON. "Thin for Life" does that. "Keeping it Off" does that. "Pocket Powter" does that.

We can get as much knowledge as we want but what we do with that it completely, totally, solely up to us.

I really don't need to read another book on why eating healthy, real food is good for me. At this stage in my eating, it's a no-brainer. I GET IT 100% and I'm doing it too!

But what I don't have my fill of yet is the inspirational, motivational, YOU CAN DO IT reading and people. The three books mentioned above are feeding that - now I need more!

And ........

I mentioned ... okay, it was pretty much a glee-filled shout ... this in the Feb MWL post but it's goin' here too!!

This last month, I have lost 4.25 inches from my body!
Last month was 5.5 inches!!!
Since I've started this (January 8th), I've lost 9.75 inches off my body!!!! WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO :D :D
141 by 41

Postby Letha. » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:57 am

141 by 41 wrote:I mentioned ... okay, it was pretty much a glee-filled shout ... this in the Feb MWL post but it's goin' here too!!

This last month, I have lost 4.25 inches from my body!
Last month was 5.5 inches!!!
Since I've started this (January 8th), I've lost 9.75 inches off my body!!!! WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO :D :D

I am so happy for you and the success you’ve achieved on the McDougall program! :thumbsup:

141 by 41 wrote:Who you need is you. You, your best friend, closest ally, greatest sympathizer, most sincere admirer and flatterer, most trusted confident -- and perhaps just as often your most savage critic. You, where it hurts, where it's lonely and chaotic, full of worries and unwelcome surprises. The victim needs himself. The one in need of rescue must undertake it himself in behalf of himself."

Thanks for sharing some quotes you found inspirational. This reminds me of something I heard a few years ago that I keep coming back to. You need to be on your own side. Somewhere along the way I got the message that sticking up for myself was somehow selfish or arrogant. Now I’m trying to make more of an effort to look out for my own interests = taking responsibility for myself. :)

Hope you are having a good weekend.
Letha
Letha.

Postby 141 by 41 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:57 pm

There are so many ways to measure health/wellness/weight. As my previous posts indicate, the scale isn't one of those ways for me BUT there are other ways for me such as the measuring tape and blood screenings.

I posted my lost inches earlier and today I got the results of my blood screening back. Posted it in the Testimonial section and posting it here as well.

I'm healthy inside --- now if the blasted scale would start reflecting all this health!!! :lol:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just got my blood results back and they are wonderful! Must have something to do with the foods I eat! :D And this is withOUT meds of any kind!

Cholesterol: 163 (down 9 points from 11/11/08 )
HDL: 60 (no change)
LDL: 83 (down 8 points from 11/11/08 )
Trig: 101 (down 3 points from 11/11/08 )
Glucose: 91 (up 4 points from 11/11/08 )
Resting heart rate: 64 ( :question: resting? I was at the doctor's office! :eek: )
Blood pressure: 90/58 (again, doctor's office reading! :shock:)
141 by 41

Postby Letha. » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:04 pm

Nice improvements on the blood work. I’m so happy for you. I sometimes forget eating this way is really good for us too. :-D
Letha
Letha.

Postby 141 by 41 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:06 pm

Letha. wrote:Thanks for sharing some quotes you found inspirational. This reminds me of something I heard a few years ago that I keep coming back to. You need to be on your own side. Somewhere along the way I got the message that sticking up for myself was somehow selfish or arrogant. Now I’m trying to make more of an effort to look out for my own interests = taking responsibility for myself. :)

You are SO right!! :nod: Somewhere along the line, the programming for me was the same ... everyone comes before and any attention to Self was very rude/anti-social/selfish/narcissistic/gluttony. I'm slowly remembering that taking care of one's Self is vitally important and not at all rude/anti-social/selfish/narcissistic/gluttony. Still have to refocus and remind myself.
141 by 41

Postby 141 by 41 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:10 pm

Letha. wrote:Nice improvements on the blood work. I’m so happy for you. I sometimes forget eating this way is really good for us too. :-D
Letha

THANK YOU!!!

GOOD FOOD = GOOD RESULTS ..... The math is amazing isn't it?!?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

These results, as well as the inches, are encouraging when the scale doesn't change as radically as I think it should.
141 by 41

Postby 141 by 41 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:18 pm

The recent numbers (inches & blood work) are real encouragements to me. I know that my insides are running quite well and my focus needs to be dropping the pounds. It's been a slow process with the scale and we're definitely not friends at the moment. :lol:

I think I'm going to check into the fat percentage measuring. I know *this* isn't all muscle ( :lol: ) but I'm getting even more curious of how much is. Surely there's a reason why the scale isn't moving but the inches are coming off. I'd be happy to trade muscle for fat ANY day of the week!!! :wink:

But until I decide, I'm still going to move da body and eat da real food.
141 by 41

Postby Letha. » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:15 am

Just stopped by to say hi. Hope you are having a great weekend. :)
Letha
Letha.

Postby 141 by 41 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:10 pm

It's been one helluva week. What day is it? :?

Today, I'm doing my VERY BEST to make time for my needs such as eating, exercising and, hopefully, some sleep tonight. My plan is to do so much physical activity today that I fall into bed exhausted and sleep through the night. :lol:[/b]
141 by 41

Postby Letha. » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:13 pm

Just stopping by to say hi. Haven’t seen any posts from you in a few days. Hope everything is going OK. Best wishes. :)
Letha
Letha.

Postby 141 by 41 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:27 am

70 hour work week last week and this week I've caught the awful congestion bug that been circulating for the last month around the building.

Exhausted - simply exhausted.

Life has gotten too much of an avalanche to post every day. I'll check in when I get moments of light piercing the bottom of this hole.
141 by 41

Postby Letha. » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:56 am

Oh my gosh. It sounds grueling. I hope you find some time to rest and recuperate. Best wishes. :)
Letha
Letha.

Postby 141 by 41 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:00 am

It's been quite a rough few weeks and I've got an additional 8 pounds on my frame for it.

Work is starting to level out. The MIA co-worker is to return in two weeks - that'll take quite a load off my plate so I can do "just" my job.

Grampa died yesterday. We're going to wait to have a memorial service when everyone gathers here in the summer. When Gram died a few months ago, I was devastated ... still not completely over it. When Grampa died it was easier for some reason. He died quicker and without pain ... unlike Gram ... maybe that's why there's sadness but an okay-ness to his death.

My Dad's cancer surgery is 12 days away. Lots of uncertainty there for me. Hoping that all goes wonderfully well but there's a nagging little voice that's worried the cancer has spread. We will all find out once the surgery is performed.

I go in on the 22nd to get a hunk of flesh removed. Dr has assured me that it's 110% benign but we're removing it anyway.

To say the last few weeks have been harsh is such an understatement. There are times it seems everything in the world is flying around --- I'm Dorothy in the twister without my Toto.

The only real things I can control is what I put in my mouth and how I move my body. Those two things are TOTALLY my responsibility and I can do them. And who knows, maybe by doing those two 'little' things, the rest of the chaos will get quieter???? :?
141 by 41

Postby toadfood » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:15 am

So sorry for your loss, and to hear you're having such a stressful time. I know what it's like to lose a grandparent, and I know what it's like to watch a parent have cancer treatment, but I haven't had to deal with those things at the same time the way you are.

I'm glad you found some time to post here. Take care of yourself.

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals