Getting Control Back

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Getting Control Back

Postby katgirl55 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:09 am

Day 4 of my challenge, even though I plan on continuing after the seven days. Counting the days helps me see my progress. I can't believe how my body is reacting. Someone on the FB page mentioned that our kidneys take a while to adjust to a lower sodium intake, and still try to filter out the higher amounts of sodium that we were eating previously. So, the result is electrolyte imbalance until kidneys adjust. I'm not sure if that is going on in my case, but I have felt low energy and foggy brained, also TMI I am urinating very frequently even though I have not significantly increased my water intake. Could this be the reason? I assumed it was due to low blood sugar. I look forward to this going away soon.

B: oatmeal parfait with frozen blueberries, cherries, banana. Coffee
L: Southwest bowl (br. rice, blk beans, corn, tomatoes, cabbage, E2 patty, pico de gallo)
D: My plan was for taco sliders again but I am not sure if I am going to the movies tonight. If I do, I will stop on the way to get compliant snacks to take inside. I have some baby potatoes I can microwave when I get home.
katgirl55

Postby katgirl55 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:28 am

Dinner last night was off plan, so technically I failed to complete the seven day challenge. But today was back on plan again, and I'm actually feeling better. No brain fog, not spending all day in the bathroom and I have energy. We'll see how this goes. Maybe I need to take it slower.

B: oats, banana, almond milk, coffee
L: taco sliders with E2 patty, black beans and triple salsa
D: baby herbed potatoes, broccoli, corn
Snack: tea, oats, banana, almond milk

Tomorrow I'll batch cook some stuff. I need to think about what to make still.
katgirl55

Postby katgirl55 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:32 pm

Today is a repeat of yesterday pretty much. I have the same meals. It's rainy and cold so I'm not leaving my house. There was a brief blackout earlier while I was making rice in the IP. I had to guess how much time was left and I overdid it and burnt the bottom a bit. Still edible. Now I need to decide what goes on it for my bowl. Hmmm.
katgirl55

Postby katgirl55 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:18 am

Super tired today. I'm not sleeping great lately, not sure why. My guess is both being off of the vice of choice (junk food) and also not regulating room temperature very well. I get hot at night so kick off covers, then it's too cold, etc. I'm not thrilled with my lunch today. I have brown rice topped with Health Valley no salt added chili. I added a little corn and salsa for flavor, but the taste I had last night was blech. I won't be buying that again. I should have made my own fresh chili instead.

B: E2 Power-up cereal with blackberries, coffee
L: Br. rice, chili, corn, salsa
D: I plan to have slider tacos or baby potatoes with broccoli.

I found the trick to the E2 Power-Up cereal: cook as you would rolled oats and put in the water as it heats up rather than after boiling. I call that the Neal Barnard method because that is where I learned the technique for making creamy oats. DO NOT use the instructions listed on the package or you will have dry crusty cereal.
katgirl55

Postby katgirl55 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:14 am

Yesterday I wrote that I was very tired, and in fact I fell asleep last night very early. I am feeling better today - I always have a tired feeling but there are layers of tiredness depending on how well I slept. Yesterday was a deep tired, today is a more surface tired. I only allow one cup of coffee on my way to work. The rest of the day I have to just push through, and I get up and walk around my office if I need a pick me up.

The E2 challenge is over for me, but I will be continuing as a lifestyle. I did what I could live with: didn't give up coffee, salt, or nuts completely, I did not add greens to every meal, etc. I was able to make it work except one night out. I lost weight, my stomach feels better, and whatever was making me feel sick last week has passed. I will try to keep up with whatever I have been doing, such as not having bread or pasta, and not overdoing beans.

B: oats, blueberris, banana, coffee
L: br. rice, veggie chili, corn, salsa
D: Taco sliders
S: apples, almonds (I am trying not to overdo these but they do help with satiety right now)
katgirl55

Postby katgirl55 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:23 pm

I am no longer counting days of my challenge - now it is just how I eat. My partner saved me from myself last night. I was feeling puckish when we got off work and it was pouring rain. I was hinting at going somewhere out to eat, I even pouted a little and partner remained apathetic to my pleas. I was not the one driving, so by the time we got home I decided I would just make taco sliders and get over it. I'm so glad I did. It was a little bit of being hungry and letting my mental cravings take over. By the time I ate sliders I was fine.

B: oats, blueberries, pineapple, coffee
L: burrito bowl - rice, beans, salsa, corn, cabbage, tomatoes
D: taco sliders - I think I can coax at least another day out of my ingredients!
S: apple, pear

successes: weight down a bit, stomach feeling better, low energy issue no longer a problem as long as I eat
katgirl55

Postby katgirl55 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:00 pm

Wow this Journal is jumping right now! I am usually near the top if I post every day, but now I'm in the middle of the page! That is good news as it seems like many are taking this opportunity to renew their commitment to themselves.

I turned down fast food at lunch time, and I had a lunch date tomorrow that rescheduled so no hiccups planned. Last night I was feeling low by the time I got home to eat. That is kind of typical since starting this last week. I think I need a better afternoon snack like maybe some mashed yam.

B: oat bran, banana, coffee
L: burrito bowl
D: taco sliders
S: apples, almonds.

I have a weakness for Mexican food, so my burrito rice bowl and taco sliders have been satisfying that craving. I think I want to make some baked tortilla chips for that chips and salsa fix.
katgirl55

Postby katgirl55 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:22 am

I don't like to talk about scale numbers, so I will just say that I have pretty much undone the damage I did between Thanksgiving and New Year's. Also, stomach issues have gotten better. I am not overdoing legumes and the trains are all on schedule, so I am not having that gassy and bloated discomfort that ahs been going on for a long time. Yesterday I counted 46 grams of fiber! One thing to note is that I have not eaten gluten since January 3. I didn't think I was sensitive but now I am wondering if I am. I feel like I need to continue avoiding it since what I am doing now is working for me.

Yesterday I was very tired and in a foul mood. Today seems better so far.

L: burrito bowl
D: I will be honest and say I might go out tonight for Japanese. Some miso soup and veggie sushi sounds good.
S: apple, almonds
katgirl55

Postby katgirl55 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:24 pm

The scale has stalled but I'm still going. I am going to incorporate exercise now that I think I have a good handle on my food. Yesterday I walked on the treadmill, and tonight I will go home and try to repeat it. The only challenge is that evening exercise can keep me awake. Hopefully I will get used to it, and also switch it up with some strength training.

L: split pea soup over a Yukon potato
D: probably taco sliders.
S: apples, almonds

I have been loving my taco sliders because they are simple and quick to make. Heat up an Engine 2 patty, steam some mini corn tortillas in damp paper towels in microwave, add hummus, patty crumbles, shredded cabbage or radish, and salsas. I use three different types of salsa: hot, pico de gallo, and mango. I also discovered last week when I ran out of mango salsa that minced pineapple is delicious on these!
katgirl55

Postby katgirl55 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:44 pm

My partner and I are eating separate diets, but share an occasional batch of cooked veggies. We have just about used up all of our vegetables that we bought on Sunday. The worst thing is trying to share the tiny kitchen at the same time. Better to cook in shifts lol. I am doing well and do not want to get cocky. I did go out twice within the last two weeks. The rest of the time I have eaten WFPB meals. I will get my blood tests done soon to see how things have improved.

B: Rip's Big Bowl cereal, almond milk, banana, coffee
L: Yukon potato, split pea soup
D: My plan is taco sliders again but it might be more cereal because I am meeting friends for happy hour after work so it will be a late dinner
S: apple, Japanese sweet potato (trying to limit nuts)
katgirl55

Postby katgirl55 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:56 am

Well, last night it was taco sliders again. This is pretty much my favorite thing to eat right now. All I need are the Mi Rancho mini corn tortillas and enough salsa to make it taste good. It takes around 5 minutes total to make.

My lunch plans fizzled so I am at work without a lunch plan. It is raining and miserable so walking somewhere is out. Hmm. I will figure it out, but it might not be the most ideal lunch.

B: oats, banana, almond milk, blueberries/cherries, coffee
L: ???
D: what else? Taco sliders!
S: apples, Japanese sweet potato
katgirl55

Postby katgirl55 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:43 am

To quote the Energizer Bunny: "...still going...." I had an off-plan lunch yesterday that left me with heartburn so I only had a banana for dinner. I did not hinder my progress, but it is a good reminder that I should be prepared for contingencies. In this case, lunch plans fell through and I was left without lunch to eat and had to venture out of my office. Weather and travel made me end up somewhere I was not really happy about, but I will know better next time. In hindsight, I could have gone to Chipotle for a rice bowl in a pinch.

B: oat bran. banana. coffee
L: potato, split pea soup
D: taco sliders
S: apples, Japanese sweet potato
katgirl55

Postby katgirl55 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:32 pm

Ok I got too boastful about my progress and had a couple bad meals this weekend. I am getting back on track though. Today I'm eating sweet potatoes with a little apple butter on top. I forgot I had baked them last week and don't want them going to waste. i will also make some rice and salsa for meals this week. Tomorrow I have class right after work, so I'll need to pack lunch and dinner.
katgirl55

Postby katgirl55 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:55 am

I made the salsa but not the rice. Time got away from me. I have school until late tonight so likely not cooking rice tonight either. Partner does not know how to run the IP, so that won't work. I will need to make do with what I have or make other plans. I can feel partner trying to edge me away from this eating, slowly but surely. In my moments of weakness over the weekend I made some bad choices. I need to stay firm and make sure the choices I make are my own. Partner pretends not to understand what this WOE entails, so things like veggie pot pie and lasagna sneak into my shopping cart. There are good intentions there even if they miss the mark. The answer is to take charge and make sure I have what I need to eat.

Tomorrow will be a better day all around.
katgirl55

Postby katgirl55 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:00 am

Womp womp....no school for me. It was just too much to handle right now. I will have to rethink my semester. So, I went home and ate veggie fajitas and went to bed early. Actually the time I went to bed, I probably would not have even been home from class yet. I would love to be able to take all of my classes and be done with this, but life gets in the way. In the meantime, I do not think I am wasting my time by focusing on just one class and my health.

B: oats with frozen berries and banana, coffee
L: lasagna (this is one of those well-meaning meals from my partner and I am going to eat it and then gently push back on having things bought or made for me. I know, I know....but I need to have peace in my household.
D: taco sliders - going back to my old standby!
S: sweet potato, pear
katgirl55

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals