Sick of being sick

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Sick of being sick

Postby CrazyVegLady » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:06 am

Hello, I am a woman in her early 30's. I have been vegan for 13 years this December. I've been whole-foods plant based for about 6 years, but not always faithful.

I've pretty much cured IBS with this way of eating (with the odd problem), and recently I cured a problem I was having with fatigue by eating more vegetables.

I have a number of problems that I would like to fix with this way of eating, I plan to use these boards to make myself more accountable (there is a certain brand of cookie I like to buy!)

1) Anxiety. I cut out all kinds of caffeine 2 years ago, I started eating chocolate recently (which I knew I would one day), but I save it as a special treat because it appears to give me crazy insomnia no matter what sleep hygiene protocols I used). I don't want to jinx anything, but it appears to be working.

2) A very tiny weight problem. My job is very sedentary, and I have a crazy sweet tooth, which is a bad combination. I'm not really overweight but my weight is not where I'd like it to be.

3) I have been sick all summer! It's one thing or another it seems. Even my co-workers have noticed. There is always "something wrong" and as you know, doctors are just so useful with these things!

I would like to be healthy and active and not sitting at home and watching television (which might also have lead to the weight). I go for a 5k run most mornings, and I go to the gym 3x a week, I'm also looking into taking a martial arts class. I want to get out there and live life! I have a fitbit and this past week I've been getting at least 10k steps, I got 25k ones and 20k twice!

My game plan is to eat more vegetables with rice, beans, a little tofu, and a sauce. Some cooked veggies and some raw. I've been reading up on Brenda Davis and Dr. Greger and have become more inspired. I eat a large smoothie every morning (believe me, it's either this, or no fruit at all!), as well as some oatmeal with a little molasses put in as a morning snack. I have to eat some nuts and seeds (not too much, it may sound like a lot but I'm judicious with them) as I find I can't eat 100% low-fat.

My vices are rooibos tea with sugar, sweets, and eating out. I don't eat out as much anymore because I need to save money, but still, the temptation is there!

Even today I got nauseated and dizzy (I THINK it was the peanut butter I had), so I had a mid-morning nap, and now I feel better :)

I missed my yoga class but I can still go to the gym this afternoon as long as I still feed good! :D

Morning: Smoothie, blueberries, strawberries, hemp seeds, flax seeds, vega, beet juice, and almond milk. I'm just going to keep it easy and say "smoothie" from now on! :lol: Oatmeal with molasses and peanut butter powder (I have one serving left but NEVER again!)
Lunch: Rice, beans, tofu, romaine, nasturtium, green onion, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, tomato, pepper, with tahini sauce and soy sauce (Tahini sauce is made with lots of parsley and water, so pretty low fat).
Last edited by CrazyVegLady on Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrazyVegLady

Re: Sick of being sick

Postby CrazyVegLady » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:33 pm

Dinner: Cashew mac n cheese, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, and peas (it was more veggies then pasta, but still, I should do better!)
Snack: Cookies this morning, but they're gone now and I'm done with them!, cranberry smoothie with hemp, chia, and coconut water (an experiment for a recovery drink I plan on drinking if I take this martial arts class, so I can recover and not be too full at 9 at night! :roll: )
Drink: Rooibos tea (again from this morning), water
Exercise: 30 minutes weights, 10 minutes rowing machine, 15 minute walk, 10k steps achieved! :D

OKAY so way too many nuts today now that I have a good look at it, probably one of the sources of my problems, but I will focus more on cutting out the junk food first.

I'm going out for another walk but will not post my steps, I will not go on my computer after 8pm or else I'll be up all night. Part of my sleep hygiene routine.
CrazyVegLady

Postby CrazyVegLady » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:14 am

Morning: Smoothie (see post Aug 21, 2016), maybe hummus and rice cake if I feel hungry before work
Snack: Snack bar?
Lunch: Rice beans, tofu, cauliflower, kale, broccoli, tomato, cabbage, peppers, tahini and soy sauce
Dinner: Mac n Cheese, peas, and same veggies as above
Snack: IF I'm too sleepy I'll probably grab another snack bar, didn't sleep well last night

Exercise: 5k run, 40 minutes total
Drink: Hopefully just water, mint tea if I get too sleepy
Sleep: About 6 hours :crybaby:

I anticipate I'll get 10k steps but I'm not logging on tonight, I'm working a 12 hour shift and I'm not turning my computer on after I get home because it will just keep me awake :shock:
CrazyVegLady

Postby nomikins » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:51 am

Hey, CVL, good work on the fitbit/running/etc. I am gearing up to get back into running and also have a fitbit. I live in a mountain town, at about 1 mile in elevation, so I get hill workouts no matter what. Thanks the motivation. P.S. You're not pregnant, are you? Just gently asking....
nomikins

Postby CrazyVegLady » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:15 am

Hey Nomikins, there really really isn't a chance of that lol!

Yeah fitbits are fun!
CrazyVegLady

Postby CrazyVegLady » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:17 am

Breakfast: Smoothie, hummus and rice cake
Lunch: Rice, tofu, peas, cauliflower, kale, broccoli, tomato, peppers, and soy sauce
Dinner: Probably same or similar, with beans instead of tofu (I ran out of beans).
Exercise: 5k run, anticipate 10k steps, going to a martial arts class tonight to see what it's like as well.
I got 15k yesterday :D
Sleep: 8 hours but I took a gravol last night, that helps :lol:

Now that I see how badly I am eating I can't deny it anymore, will try to eat less today, that's very likely the problem I am having!
CrazyVegLady

Postby nayasmom » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:19 pm

Hi CVL, I have a couple of observations about your food if you'd like to read on:
First, smoothies are a source of very concentrated calories and the fiber available is rendered worthless when you pulverize it like that. Fruit is very high in sugar (natural, but still sugar) and that is more than likely the source of your fatigue. You do not HAVE to eat fruit! I eat fruit rarely, and definitely not on a daily basis. I sometimes go weeks without eating any fruit. In the summertime, however, I will get something like blueberries on sale and freeze them, and toss a handful into my oatmeal or cereal. I don't eat oatmeal or cereal often.
Next, you might want to experiment with non-legume starches. Can you eat potatoes? Butternut squash? Sweet potatoes? I suspect that you have an insatiable sweet tooth because you're not eating enough whole-food starches, and Dr. McDougall does advise not making legumes the main starch because of the protein. Tofu can be a significant source of fat, too, although it is a great source of calcium, but you have to look at the label as they are all different depending on brand and style. I find the silken to be less nutritious than the firmer kinds, for instance.
Remember: Dr. McDougall's main emphasis is on whole food starches. My folks tried it (well, they tried Dr. Barnard's reverse diabetes diet) and loved it, but my adopted mom still believed the old programming about starches, and then they fell off the plant based wagon because this diet isn't social and one thing led to another... For myself, it's the starches that keep me sane, keep me happy, and that have eliminated cravings. I occasionally bake something sweet for myself, but truth be told it's more out of habit than it is a craving.
I just discovered how great chia is for energy about 2 months ago, and I have at least a tbsp every morning but I just stir it in water and squeeze some fresh lime juice into it. I don't mind the texture. Otherwise if I cook oatmeal I'll put it in that. I actually prefer my oatmeal with salt and pepper instead of fruit.
Anyway, I'm kind of rambling here. Sorry about that. I like your variety of food. I wish I could like kale ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
Robyn
Great spirits have always met with violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstein

[/url]
nayasmom

Postby mapat » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:58 am

nayasmom wrote: For myself, it's the starches that keep me sane, keep me happy, and that have eliminated cravings.
Robyn

This is what I have found to be true for me also. When I don't get enough starches/calories, I am much more likely to have cravings or eat things I shouldn't - like unhealthy sweets.
mapat

Postby CrazyVegLady » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:40 pm

Thanks for the advice. I realized this past week I should probably eat more starchy veggies too. I can have potatoes, I love them! I just have to be selective with my lunches because my container only fits so much and my coworkers already think I eat like a pig as it is! :lol:

I find the veggies control my IBS a bit more, I was eating mostly starch and it wasn't helping in that department and I started to get haemmoroids, constipation. I don't know why but it's not enough for me! But, again, it might have been other things that caused problems. But I did the elimination diet in the past and it seemed to help, eating extra veggies. Because I use to eat so little of them, maybe that was it?

I like the smoothies because I have no time to eat anything in the morning. I like the blueberries because they help my muscles to not be sore after exercise :nod: But I do see your point. They also really help my stomach. I've also been reading a lot about the health benefits of fruit which is why I like to eat more of them.

Tofu is just a garnish, I've been having trouble finding any food "palatable" and have been eating less this past week, I add maybe 1/9 of a package just to entice myself to eat. And yes I've been eating it for the calcium and iron as well, I tend to be low in iron.

Thank you both very much for your advice, it is extremely helpful and appreciated!
Last edited by CrazyVegLady on Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrazyVegLady

Postby CrazyVegLady » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:46 pm

I know I haven't been on in a few days but I've had some successes and failures this past week.

I've been very active, which is what I was hoping for. At least 15k steps every day (most was 20k), and the least "very active" minutes was 49 minutes (next lowest was 71, highest was 122). I didn't get to the gym as much as I would have liked, however, with my sister's wedding fast approaching, it's not a priority. I managed to run every day this past week, except today. Since I didn't go for a run today, I am pleased that I managed to get 15k steps, as 10k used to be a challenge.

I did have some chocolate covered almonds, but otherwise I've been pretty good food-wise. I did have some meals with "less" veggies but after reading the other posts I don't feel so bad about it anymore. I want to feel happy/good :nod:

Even though I didn't post here, thinking about posting helped me stay more or less compliant.

Breakfast: Smoothie, brown rice and peas (soy and hot sauce)
Lunch: Nut bar
Dinner: Noodle soup, brown rice, chickpeas, tofu, kale, tomatoes, cucumber, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, and peppers, soy and hot sauce
Drink: Water, rooibos tea

Exercise: lots of walking, maybe 30-40 minutes 3 times each.
Sleep: Terrible, woke up at 2am, couldn't get back to sleep, gave up and watched t.v. fell asleep finally, woke up cold after an hour, went back to my bed. Sleep deprivation is hard and stressful, but I want to keep at it to see if I can sleep better.
CrazyVegLady

Postby CrazyVegLady » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:17 pm

Breakfast: Smoothie, rice and peas with soy and hot sauce
Dinner: Noodle soup (I make it myself), chickpeas, rice, tofu, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, nasturtium, tomato, peppers, and spinach with tahini, soy, and hot sauce
Exercise: 5k run, pretty soon to be 15k steps again, possibly a bike ride

Last night I slept wonderfully, 7 1/2 hours, and I didn't need to take anything to help me sleep!

Starting to take the whole foods things to heart, except I can't give up the smoothie, I get up at 5am and I'm not getting up any earlier! :lol:
CrazyVegLady

Postby katgirl55 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:29 am

Hi CrazyVegLady, I just wanted to chime in and say your posts are very self-reflective. It can be hard to write it all down and see where we're at. I am not going to nitpick anything you are eating. My only observation is that maybe you feeling sick is because your body is run down from the high amount of exercise and lack of quality sleep? I'm no doctor, so take that with a grain of salt.
katgirl55

Postby CrazyVegLady » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:37 am

Hi Katgirl,

That's a very good point and is probably the case. Thanks for letting me know :)

I really appreciate you not nit-picking :lol:

Problem I have is it's simply gotten too easy to eat foods with oil/sugar and I need to stop!
CrazyVegLady

Postby CrazyVegLady » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:02 pm

Things have been fine. I had some cake that I brought home from the wedding, even though it's vegan I shouldn't have eaten it. Then my sister got me a vegan cupcake, and on it went...

I did a good number on my thumb and skipped Thursday's run, otherwise, I've been running this week and kept up with the gym.

Eating mostly rice, beans, salsa, and veggies. I've been eating more starch which has been helpful, and I didn't get "stopped up". I eat oatmeal as a morning snack, and eat cucumber and peas in the afternoon. I still have the smoothie.
CrazyVegLady

Postby CrazyVegLady » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:22 pm

Got sick again...I'm at a loss, I keep thinking about trying the elimination diet, but I know I don't really want to do it. I keep saying I should just eat mostly like the elimination diet (just cut out the junk) but it is hard to do. Living on rice and almond milk because I can't stomach anything :-(
CrazyVegLady

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning