Just the facts

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Just the facts

Postby PotatoBrain » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:44 pm

13th day

Going to meticulously log everything I eat in myfitnesspal so that will be detailed food log, and just put totals and percentages here. Maybe mention or snap a pic of any meal I especially enjoyed along with the recipe or name of restaurant along with any insights for future reference.

myfitnesspal computed:
Calories 1475
Fat 19 grams... 11%
Carbs 295 grams... 78%
protein 41 grams... 11%

fiber 40 grams

fitbit logged: 11,196 steps

Best meal of the day. Made gravy with just the broth from cooking pot of plain lima beans (just used cornstarch to thicken some of the broth). I liked it. It was easy and tasted good. Served over mashed potatoes with rainbow carrots and cucumber slices. Bowl of Lima beans on the side (not in pic).

Cut myself using the mandolin. Ouch! Note to self ... use the safety guard!

Since bleeding anyway, took blood sugar reading. It was 104.
PotatoBrain

Postby PotatoBrain » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:18 pm

14th day
myfitnesspal computed:
1490 calories
11% fat. ..18 grams
76% carbohydrates.... 279 grams
13% protein.... 48 grams

Fiber 35 grams

fitbit logged: 12634 steps 5.52 miles
PotatoBrain

Postby PotatoBrain » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:07 pm

DAY 15 weigh in day Sunday August 30, 2015

Started at 225 on 8/16/2015.......this morning's weight 219

Total of 6 pounds lost in first two weeks

Fasting blood sugar this morning 88
Blood pressure 121/76

Gonna count weight watcher points too cuz that worked better last week.

Today first day of weight watcher week
26 daily points
49 weekly points to be divided up however I want throughout the week
Any exercise points I earn to be used or divided up all week however I choose

Today I used 26 weight watcher points
No weekly or exercise points and I'm feeling very full and extremrly satisfied

myfitnesspal computed:

Calories 1073. (not counting fruits and veggies - Weight Watcher freebies)
Fat.1 gram.....1%
Complex carbs 220 grams .....80%
Protein 51 grams....19%

Fiber 35 grams

Forgot to put Fitbit back on my wrist after taking shower this morning so I have no idea how many steps I took which means I have to figure I earned no exercise points today.
PotatoBrain

Postby PotatoBrain » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:26 pm

16th day

Fasting blood sugar this morning 93
Blood pressure 131

Myfitnesspal computed 1152 calories (not counting fruits and non-starchy veggies - Weight Watcher freebies)

7% fat… 10 g
75% complex carbohydrates 222 g
17% protein 51 g

Fiber 38 g

Used 28 weight watcher points 26 daily plus 2 of my 49 weekly
Earned six activity points but didn't use them

Have 47 weekly points left and six activity points left for this week

Fit bit showed 10,556 steps or 4.61 miles

Best meal of day at whole foods no oil or wheat. Crumbed brown rice cakes up and put it in like crumbled crackers.
PotatoBrain

Postby PotatoBrain » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:48 pm

17th day

Fasting blood sugar 93
blood pressure 124 / 80

myfitnesspal computed:
1157 calories (not counting fruits and non-starchy veggies, and ff popcorn - Weight Watcher freebies)
10 grams of fat ... 7%
222 grams of complex carbohydrates ... 73%
60 grams of protein ... 20%

fiber 54 grams

fitbit logged: 11586 steps, 5.06 miles

Used 28 weight watcher points (26 daily +2 weekly)
Earned 5 activity points today
45 weekly points and 11 activity points left

Best meal of the day Christmas lima beans and brussels sprouts
PotatoBrain

Postby PotatoBrain » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:27 pm

18th day

Forgot to take blood pressure and blood sugar this morning I'll do it tomorrow

myfitnesspal computed:
1486 calories (not counting fruits and non-starchy veggies, and ff popcorn - Weight Watcher freebies)
Fat 7 grams... 4%
carbs 308 grams... 80%
Protein 64 grams... 16%

Fiber 59 grams

fitbit logged: 12063 steps... 5.27 miles

Used 37 weight watcher points... 26 daily + 7 weekly + 4 activity
Earned 6 activity points today

Have 40 weekly and 13 activity left, I think, will figure it out tomorrow.
PotatoBrain

Postby PotatoBrain » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:03 pm

19th day

Blood pressure 115 / 71
Fasting blood sugar 94

myfitnesspal computed:
1013 calories (not counting fruits, non-starchy veggies and ff popcorn - Weight Watcher freebies)
Fat 5 grams... 4%
Carbs 214 grams... 82%
Protein 35 grams... 14%

Fiber... 32 grams

fitbit logged: 10,905 steps... 4.77 miles

Used 25 weight watcher daily points, 0 weekly points and 0 activity points.

Earned 5 weight watcher activity points

Have 40 weekly points left and now 18 activity points left

Best meal of the day...acorn squash, brown rice and spinach with mixed veggies. Couldn't finish it all. Put cinnamon on acorn squash. It was wonderful!
PotatoBrain

Postby Ltldogg » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:42 pm

PotatoBrain,

I really want to help you out because I want you to succeed in being healthy and happy. So I am telling you up front this post is meant to be helpful and positive. I have no negative intentions.

With that being said, I want to make a couple of observations:

First off, I am glad you found it here because McDougall's WOE and Jeff Novick's advice works, IF you follow it. The problem I see is that you are not compliant with this WOE and if you continue it you will fail in your health journey, and then probably go on to say this WOE does not work.

Let me point out a few things I've noticed from reading your journal thread:

1. You are obsessed with counting calories. Neither Dr. McDougall nor Jeff Novick advise this. It is not practical, not accurate and it doesn't work. Also, you are still thinking along the lines of tracking food types and points per Weight Watchers. It is not necessary and could be a mental block for going all in with this WOE.

2. You continuously under eat and over exercise based on the amount of calories you have consumed. It seems to me that you have another mental block that you must overcome; that block is that eating less and exercising will help you lose weight faster. But less can mean worse results and you are not fueling your body properly, which will lead to binge crashes.

3. You still eat a lot of process foods and restaurants foods, both of which are unhealthy in general. For example, you are eating the H.E.B. Rice Squares. Per serving, at 100 calories, they have 240mg of sodium, which is a ratio of 1:2.5. Jeff Novick wants that ratio at 1:1 or less. Plus for that same serving, there is 0 fiber. Looking at the ingredient list, I see:

Rice, Sugar, Salt, Molasses. Vitamins and Minerals: Calcium Carbonate, Reduced Iron, Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), Zinc Oxide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Folic Acid, Vitamin A Palmitate, Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12), Vitamin D. BHT Added to Packaging Material to Help Preserve Freshness.

Since the fiber is 0, that Rice ingredient is completely processed flour (crap). You also listed things like salsas and vegan gravies, which are going to be high in sodium, sweeteners/sugars, etc. Lastly, for restaurant foods they almost always have high amounts of sodium and sugars, even if oil free. Jeff and Dr. McDougall recommend you skip the processed foods and eat whole as much as possible.

Again, this is not a personal attack. I hope you re-evaluate what you are eating and compare that to both Dr. McDougall and Jeff Novick's recommendations. Dr. McDougall's picture book and Starch Solution book are great resources. Also, the MWL forum and Jeff Novick's forums have several stickied threads that are great reads and cover everything a new person needs to be successful. If you do follow this program 100%, consistently and long-term, you will have success and be healthy.

Sincere and Best Wishes,
Scott
Ltldogg

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning