How do I private message please?

New to the discussion board? Use this area to practice posting messages.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

How do I private message please?

Postby Peaceful » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:58 am

I hear there is a PM function to the right of a post.

I don't see it.

I am on an iPhone 6+ instead of a computer, away from home.
This discussion board has information that I'm glad to share.

Thank you in advance for your response
Peaceful

Re: How do I private message please?

Postby VeggieSue » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:43 pm

*IF* you have the privilege to send an IM, then the button would appear on the right, under your name and post number. But you're new here, and I'm pretty sure the moderators have the boards set so that a new member has to post a certain number of messages to the public boards before they can send a private message.

If there's someone specific you want to get in contact with, go to the Lounge and in the header of your thread put the person's name, and then post a message asking them to contact you. I *think* - but am not sure - that in that case, the other person can IM *you* and you'll be notified of the message in the green header bar above, right next to where it says "User Control Panel. The number of PM's waiting for you to read would be in parentheses.

If I'm wrong about that, and I probably am, then the only way you can communicate with someone on the boards is in message posted to a thread on a forum, publicly, like I say above.

If you're looking to write to Dr. McDougall or his staff, hit the drop-down menu at the top of the page that says "About" and then "Contact us" to get the office staff addresses, or email [email protected] to write directly to the doctor.
VeggieSue

Postby Peaceful » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:06 pm

I'm most thankful to you for bringing to my attention about private messaging being something people do after a while. This clarity allows me to let go.

Thank you for saying about the Lounge, my instinct is to let go. I'll pay attention to posts and join in when it appears appropriate.

I appreciate your guidance about it being acceptable to email Dr McDougall. I'm thankful to him for what he is doing. I'm choosing to give him space, and when good news comes to my attention to share it.

Thank you so much!

Best wishes for your day :-)
Peaceful

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:48 am

Glad I helped, in my own small way. Hope to see you around the other forums soon. :)
VeggieSue

Postby glo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:58 am

Hi, I've been on the forum for a little while, but am still not familiar with receiving and sending private messages. However, I saw that I received a private message... and wanted to send a reply, but didn't know how. And I was afraid I would click the wrong button and send to a thread. I'll continue searching to see if I can find instructions on how to send private messages. Thanks for this topic.
Always learning! — glo
glo

Postby VeggieSue » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:41 am

glo wrote:However, I saw that I received a private message... and wanted to send a reply, but didn't know how. And I was afraid I would click the wrong button and send to a thread.

First, relax - nothing in your personal inbox can go to any of the forums.

Now, on my PC, you click the message subject to open it up to read it.

When reading the message you'll see this:

Notice the SENDREPLY button right under the View Messages and above the subject of the PM. Click that to send a new blank reply to the person.

If you want to include snippets of their message, instead hit the QUOTE button on the right side, right next to the avatar of the person you're writing to. That'll include the entire message back and you can either include the whole thing or cut and paste to your heart's desire.

To see how to use the bbCode tags, like how a quoted message should look, hover your cursor over the button at the top of the windows where you're writing. You can also hit the FAQ near the top of every page to get info on how the forum software works.

Now, if you're using a mobile device and none of what I mentioned appears on your screen, just continue yelling for help, and include what kind of device you're using (Apple, Android, etc.) and somebody who uses the same thing as you can help walk you through it.

Good luck. It does get easier, in time.
VeggieSue

Postby glo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:35 pm

Thank you so much veggiesue. I might try it tomorrow. Such clear explanation. Muchas gracious.
Always learning! — glo
glo

Return to The Sandbox