Cold, joints hurt and tired

New to the discussion board? Use this area to practice posting messages.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Cold, joints hurt and tired

Postby Jan C. » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:08 am

I've been on this WOE for about 8 months now. My low back, hips and neck hurt frequently, sometimes constantly. I'm cold sometimes and my feet are freezing, as if it is coming from inside my body, not outside. Even wearing socks and bedroom slippers doesn't warm them. I was 323 pounds when I began my journey. I am now 264.8 pounds. I feel good about my loose clothing and skin (not too bad), but I'm still having trouble getting exercise in. What am I doing wrong? I want to feel better. I walk every couple of days, quite a ways, at least an hour's worth. I live in the mountains and with the way my hips hurt, sometimes I can't put my weight on them and they feel like they're going to give out on me. I'm 60 years old, and a type 2 diabetic. I have lowered my insulin at night, and I am no longer taking any other meds like, Synthroid, Lipitor, Metformin and the like. I've given up my vitamins and am eating solely plants and grains. I do eat nuts from time to time, but mostly I'm pretty strict with the diet. I eat a lot of potatoes, beans (Mary's recipe), brown rice and various veggies. I love broccoli, spinach and salads. I also enjoy oats, quinoa and barley. I make soups, and experiment with adding different vegetables and fruits together with my starches, coming up with some pretty tasty meals. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Jan C.

Re: Cold, joints hurt and tired

Postby roundcoconut » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:55 pm

Hi Jan C.!

You posted in a part of the forums that is usually just used when people are testing something. Like, if someone wants to try out a new signature line, they will often post a blank post, in the Sandbox forum. So, please don't think we ignored you or disregarded you -- just no one really looks in the Sandbox!

Perhaps you can ask a moderator to move your post to a diff forum, so that others can see it?

I cannot imagine what a competent plant-based health professional would say about your cold extremities or your hips, but I would suspect this has everything to do with diabetic neuropathy. How you get through it, and reverse it, I''m not sure. If I can find anything for you, I will, but we are not a network of health professionals -- just peers here for you to discuss and bond with.

Glad that you're here, and I would also question whether you tolerate some grains but not others. Inflammation processes are tricky, and you might do a search to see what other people have learned re inflammation processes and trigger foods.

A lot of the work falls on your shoulders, to find competent people to advise you, and to educate yourself so that you know what to make of your body's responses. You CAN do it, and I think you WILL do it. Much kindness!
roundcoconut

Postby roundcoconut » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:46 pm

Dr Fuhrman has a book called End of Diabetes, which is the only book of his I own. His recommendations are plant-based, no oil, just like McDougall, Esselstyn, Novick, and Barnard, except Fuhrman's program seems to be a far stricter protocol with greater emphasis on vegetable intake, and greater emphasis on using legumes as your starch. If it appeals to you, I would read his book.

He has written that diabetic neuropathy is basically nerve damage that happens as diabetes progresses and takes an increasingly big toll on the body. Nerve damage can be reversed, but the time frame is not predictable and the extent to which the nerve damage can be reversed, will vary from person to person.

He nevertheless emphasizes that every month you continue to be diabetic takes additional toll on your body. So he encourages people to be very faithful and very willing to follow a rigorous protocol for the complete reversal of the diabetes. So, even though you have been going in the right direction, maybe there are little areas where you can tighten things up? I dunno. If it were me, I would probably follow Fuhrman's protocol, minus a few of his nonsense recommendations (like I think the G-BOMBS superfoods thing, is just too specific and horrific -- I love mushrooms, but I don't want them every frigging day).

You are obviously doing well, but I too would love to see you fully reverse your diabetes. Perhaps it is worth working with a health professional from True North, or from Fuhrman's team, or working with McDougall's dietitian Jeff Novick? You may need to follow special protocol with your feet in the mean time -- keep them warm but be sure not to burn them -- I dunno really.

Those are my thoughts, for what they're worth! See if anything resonates!
roundcoconut

Postby Partly Cloudy » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:25 pm

Hi Jan, You mentioned giving up vitamins in your post. I just wanted to mention that it's important that you do take a vitamin B12 supplement with a plant-based diet. Low B12 can lead to some strange sensations including foot numbness, feeling cold, etc. B12 is cheap and easy to find. Please don't skip it, especially if you're not eating fortified foods like breakfast cereal, etc. it's most likely not the source of your trouble, just thought I'd mention it, just in case. Hope you're feeling better soon!
Partly Cloudy

Postby Timaca » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:09 pm

Do you have a swimming pool available to you for exercise? That might take some of the stress off your joints. A physical therapist may be of some help to you as far as pain in your joints. You are headed in the right direction with your weight; congratulations!! :-D
Timaca

Postby Jmh6451 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:08 pm

My joints still hurt too. I am hoping that they will quit one of these days. I thought that this was supposed to be anti inflammatory.
Jmh6451

Postby Timaca » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:59 am

Regarding joints.....my joints will hurt me if I eat a food that doesn't work for me. Wheat is especially problematic. So are sunflower seeds and it *seems* that if I eat too many nightshade foods, that's a problem.

In fact, when testing a new food, when I first wake up in the morning I open and close my fingers. If they are hurting, it is a clue the food I tested the day before didn't work for me....

Yesterday I tried a small amount of the grain Teff for the first time (about 2 tablespoons). First thing when I woke up this morning I checked my fingers. They were fine. When I got out of bed, I noticed how my feet felt. They felt fine. My knees felt fine going down the stairs and I didn't have a headache. So, I will eat a bit more teff today and see how I feel tomorrow!

If joints continue to hurt you on the regular McD diet, then try an elimination diet.

Wishing everyone the best,
Timaca

Return to The Sandbox