disordered eating

New to the discussion board? Use this area to practice posting messages.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

disordered eating

Postby peaceseeker » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:09 pm

I've had a binge eating disorder for a good 4 years and have tried counselling and such but nothing seems to be working. I've been vegan for 5 years, but it started with orthorexia shortly after I cut out all animal products. I became underweight (was not eating enough because I was scared of becoming unhealthy I suppose and was a high level athlete at the time) and was told by my doctors to put some weight on. This turned into binging (note * NO purging). My weight has fluctuated severely over the past 4 years. However the past year has been the most difficult- I've gained 40 lbs and my mental health just isn't all there. I really am trying hard to stick to Dr. McDougall's plan because I believe in the long run it will work for me and I agree with/believe in everything he recommends. So, my struggle is with the spontaneous cravings/urges that leap out at me (sometimes once a week, sometimes more) and I cave to unhealthy vegan food until I get my 'fix'. And then of course the guilt follows and all. What's also hard for me is hearing people say that one can eat unlimited food on a hclf wfpb diet, because that kind of gives me an excuse (when I have my slumps) to binge on those certain foods, i.e rice, corn crackers, etc. Any suggestions/thoughts are much appreciated! Thank you :)
peaceseeker

Re: disordered eating

Postby Katydid » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:02 pm

I also have periods of compulsive overeating - particularly when under stress. What I have found helpful is
1. No processed food in the house. No rice cakes, corn cakes, cold cereal, bread, crackers, etc. I don't care if they are "allowed" on the program, they aren't safe for me to have around. I have a list I shop from and that's it.
2. Managing stress. That means staying organized. This was particularly hard for me because I have a difficult job and am often mentally exhausted. But I have gotten my "you know what" together over the last year and worked out a system to make sure my bills are paid on time, the vast majority of my food for the week is cooked on the weekend, I complete "check-off" series of exercise goals every day, and I am actively downsizing my junk every month to relieve the stress of having too much STUFF in my life.
3. Letting go of anger. I've found that anger - whether at another person, or worse, at myself - can lead to overeating. Now I just "let it go" and move on.
4. I try to never EVER eat in the car. Every time I do, I end up overeating. If you can eat it while driving a car, it probably isn't something you should be eating at all (with the possible exception of little cold potatoes, but the principle stands). I can miss a meal if necessary, or stop and get out and eat, but if I'm driving and eating I'm not paying attention to portion size or hunger signals.

Those are my rules for coping with MY version of compulsive overeating. Hope they help.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Re: disordered eating

Postby RiverSwept » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:56 pm

I too have suffered from this terrible compulsion and used starch solution excuse of eat all you want. Helped with UWL program also reading a book "free right now" kindle amazon now call "Never Binge Again" by Glen Livingston that really took my guilt and depression away from this problem. I cleaned out my entire house of foods and kept them ultimate weight loss program complaint which is a McDougall Starch but add to this no sugar and flour this has personally helped me get my sanity back
RiverSwept

Return to The Sandbox