pick up sticks

New to the discussion board? Use this area to practice posting messages.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

pick up sticks

Postby calvin » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:29 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9isYZL3odf4

Arthritis Foundation current take on diet as related to RA
At ~2:00min into Dr. McDougall's video* on arthritis (as in "pain and inflammation of the joints"), he shows the 1978 Arthritis Foundation brochure titled The truth about Diet & Arthritis which proclaimed their then

Common Knowledge
"The truth about Diet & Arthritis may surprise you. It is simply this: There is NO special diet for arthritis. No specific food has anything to do with causing it.

And no specific diet will cure it.

Food fanatics and peddlers of
"health and natural foods"
may tell you otherwise."

At ~4:00min into the video, Dr. McDougall points out how by 2014, the Arthritis Foundation message** had evolved:

While there is no specific "diet" that people with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) should follow, researchers have identified cetain foods that can help control inflammation. Many of them are found in the so-called Mediterranean diet, which emphasizes fish, vegetables and olive oil, among other staples.

That resource has since been replaced by
http://www.arthritis.org/arthritis-today-magazine/
Scroll to bottom, click on Arthritis Diet.

* John McDougall, MD - Inflammatory Arthritis
** https://www.arthritistoday.org/living-w ... y-diet.php <-webpage no longer exists.

Since the Mediterranean diet, to the extent it ever existed, has now disappeared due to modern development of Mediterranean countries, I was curious as to what the Arthritis Foundation's current spin on proper diet might be and found the following. No, I have no relationship with the Foundation. No, I am not widely read on RA nor have i read all the content linked to below. Yes, I have some inflammed joints but fortunately as a McDougaller plan to evaluate the material, benefit from what if anything is helpful and ignore the rest. No, I am not interested in instigating a game of "ain't it awful" regarding where and how the Foundation is off our target. But don't let that stop you! 8) Yes, I am interested in your personal RA experience and in any sources you've found useful. PM me if any links are messed up.

An outline of the current material might look like the following:

A. Anti-Inflammatory Diet for Arthritis
B. Best Foods for Arthritis
C. Foods to Avoid If You Have Arthritis
D. Healthy Eating with Arthritis
E. Losing Weight with Arthritis
F. Arthritis-Friendly Recipes
Last edited by calvin on Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
calvin

Re: pick up sticks

Postby grid » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:41 am

This is amazing!!!

Thanx for posting :)
grid

Return to The Sandbox