glycemic index

New to the discussion board? Use this area to practice posting messages.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

glycemic index

Postby Églantine » Sat May 09, 2015 2:56 pm

I was wondering if switching from oatmeal to barley for breakfast would be a good idea for weight loss, since barley is lower ( 30 ) than oatmeal ( 60 ) on the glycemic index?
Églantine

Re: glycemic index

Postby Katydid » Sun May 10, 2015 6:58 am

Glycemic Index or Glycemic Load are not considered useful or applicable to this way of eating. So long as you are eating your oats or barley as intact whole grains (steel-cut or old-fashioned oats, not instant powdered oats) they can be used interchangeably.

To quote Jeff Novick:

"Do not be afraid of carbohydrates but understand that all carbohydrates are NOT EQUAL. Forget the GI/GL or whether they are complex or simple. That is all too complex. Instead, choose carbohydrates that are intact, unrefined and unprocessed. Period. Choose whole kernel corn over corn flakes or corn chips. Choose brown rice over white rice or rice crackers."

That's all you need to know.

Kate
Last edited by Katydid on Sun May 10, 2015 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Re: glycemic index

Postby openmind » Sun May 10, 2015 8:07 am

Églantine wrote:I was wondering if switching from oatmeal to barley for breakfast would be a good idea for weight loss, since barley is lower ( 30 ) than oatmeal ( 60 ) on the glycemic index?

Glycemic index is a rabbit hole down which you don't want to go. First they tell you to use the glycemic index. Then they tell you, No, don't use the glycemic index, use the glycemic load. Then finally someone comes in and tells you to ignore the other two and use the insulin index.

There may be some validity to glycemic index, glycemic load and insulin index, but paying attention to calorie density is much simpler and more effective (for me at least)
openmind

Return to The Sandbox