Vegetarian Terminology

New to the discussion board? Use this area to practice posting messages.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Vegetarian Terminology

Postby Jim_Brown » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:05 am

I have felt resistance to the term "lacto-ovo vegetarian" ever since first seeing it in print many year ago. It seemed then, and it still seems to me, that connecting animal-based food choices to the term "vegetarian" was an attempt to make respectable the consumption of milk and egg derived foods. Somehow it was better and less problematic in terms of one's health, the health of animals, and the health of the earth.
So, I'm grateful to Dr. Joy for coining the word "carnism" because it makes it possible to correctly label the choice to eat and drink from the bodies of cows and chickens. I think it is time we reclaim the word "vegetarian" and relegate "lacto-ovo" to its true domain. In truth people who choose to eat foods derived from cows and chickens are "lacto-ovo carnists."
Jim_Brown

Re: Vegetarian Terminology

Postby judynew » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:16 am

Hi, Jim

Your comments are interesting. I recently met yet another self described "vegetarian" who eats fish and chicken and I am sure I'm not the only person on these boards who has had people assume that I would eat fish and chicken, even after I've told them I don't eat meat. Apparently it isn't entirely clear to many people what vegetables are. I suspect that those terms like "lacto ovo" and "flexitarian" are really only used among ourselves. Some folks out there in the real world are still trying to figure out the difference between broccoli and a chicken. :shock:
judynew

Re: Vegetarian Terminology

Postby Gweithgar » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:41 am

judynew wrote:Hi, Jim

...Apparently it isn't entirely clear to many people what vegetables are....

You made me laugh so hard! :lol:
Cet animal est tres mechant; quand on l'attaque, il se defend
(This animal is very wicked; if attacked it defends itself)
Gweithgar

Return to The Sandbox