Bypass, Diet, Drugs, and Exercise

New to the discussion board? Use this area to practice posting messages.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Bypass, Diet, Drugs, and Exercise

Postby rhorr » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:58 pm

I have been lurking on this board for a while. Now it is time for me to write. I Had quintuple bypass surgery on May 17, 2013, and recovered well. I have some exercise related questions to post, as well as some medication questions about plavix and lipitor, and some success to report. I've regained my former activity level, doing 75 miles per week on my bicycle, and have been on the McDougall/Esselstyn/Ornish/Fuhrman diet since June 1, 2013 -- six months as of this post. I'm 5'6" tall, and my weight dropped from 142 to 122 in about 6 weeks -- it is the lightest I've been since sophomore year in high school. My cholesterol has been high all my life, and statins have given me mild neuropathy symptoms in my feet, and only a little dip in my cholesterol levels. Lipitor -- now atorvastatin -- was the last we tried, and is by far the most effective. My only "risk factor" was the high cholesterol, I'm active, trim, and my blood pressure has always been around 110/70. There have been no cardiac events in the men in my family, on either side, until mine.

If this post succeeds, I'll post the long version in The Lounge.

Best Regards, everyone,
Robert Orr
San Jose, CA
rhorr

Re: Bypass, Diet, Drugs, and Exercise

Postby docscience » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:21 pm

I was just scanning through some posts and saw this. It amazes me that you had such low blood pressure, but severe blockages.
I was under the impression that the blockages would show up in high blood pressure. Thankyou for posting.
I really HATE my profile picture, but it reminds me to watch my eating. For me, that is a good motivator.
MyTest results viewtopic.php?f=7&t=39555
5'8" , started- sept. 2013 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
docscience

Re: Bypass, Diet, Drugs, and Exercise

Postby VeggieSue » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:45 am

docscience wrote:I was just scanning through some posts and saw this. It amazes me that you had such low blood pressure, but severe blockages.

My husband had a quadruple CABG this past July and his BP ran the same as Robert's before surgery. The the first month after surgery, while on the customary cardiac meds that Didi pointed out in other posts that includes a beta blocker, his BP was dropping as low as 70/30 before his cardiologist said "Oops" and tapered him off of it. Now it's staying just as before surgery, around 110/70, some days it's still a bit lower at around 100/60.

And he does still have some degree of blockage in there. They only bypassed the 100% one and a few lesser blocked arteries but the cardiologist said after the cardiac cath that he had over 9 blockages.
VeggieSue

Return to The Sandbox