Almond MilK?

New to the discussion board? Use this area to practice posting messages.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Almond MilK?

Postby lucyethel » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:58 pm

I have used unsweetened Almond Milk (Blue Diamond) for the past 4 years. I hesitate to buy soy milk because there is so much publicity about 90% of the soy beans grown being GMO's. Is there some reason that almond milk is not in the list of approved dairy substitutes?
lucyethel

Re: Almond MilK?

Postby aurora » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:29 am

I don't know what Dr. McDougall says about almond milk, but I would think he would approve as long as it has it has same or lower fat content as any other milk substitutes he recommends.

But regarding soy milk and GMOs: just buy organic. GMO ingredients are not allowed in organic. For a great deal on shelf-stable organic soy milk, check out the Dollar Tree. They have Low-Fat WestSoy for $1! http://www.dollartree.com/WestSoy-Organic-Low-Fat-Plain-Soymilk-Drink-32-oz-/p296076/index.pro. I don't use "milks" often, but I like this product a lot, because it's organic, low fat, contains no added thickeners, and is so cheap!
aurora

Postby Vegankit » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:32 am

lucyethel wrote:I have used unsweetened Almond Milk (Blue Diamond) for the past 4 years. I hesitate to buy soy milk because there is so much publicity about 90% of the soy beans grown being GMO's. Is there some reason that almond milk is not in the list of approved dairy substitutes?

I presume you are using it as a condiment and not drinking it? I went to their website and found the Blue Diamond Unsweetened Almond Milk ingredient list:
NGREDIENTS: ALMONDMILK (FILTERED WATER, ALMONDS), CALCIUM CARBONATE, SEA SALT, POTASSIUM CITRATE, CARRAGEENAN, SUNFLOWER LECITHIN, NATURAL FLAVOR, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D2 AND D-ALPHA-TOCOPHEROL (NATURAL VITAMIN E).

It has added fat from sunflower seeds (SUNFLOWER LECITHIN) as well as the fat from the almonds.

This is an extremely high fat product. One cup is 30 calories of which 25 are from fat. This product is 83% fat based on calories. I don't know why it's not on the list but I would assume because the percentage of fat is so high?
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby lucyethel » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:07 am

Thank you both for your responses! I had no idea that Almond Milk has so much fat!! I just assumed that for 30 calories, it had to be healthy! And I am ALWAYS telling people "read the labels"!! My bad!! I will check out the organic soy milks available... I mainly use the almond milk for cereal and recipes.... can soy be used in the same way?
lucyethel

Postby aurora » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:54 am

All these milks contain fat (or is there a non-fat option out there???). If you look at it as percent of calories it will be high since they're mostly water.

For comparing commercial milks you can look at the total grams of fat per serving. My sense is they are in the range of 2.5 to 6 grams per cup. To keep the fat down, I'd only consider those 2.5-3 grams. Of those you can decide which ones you like the best for your uses though trial and error. (Personally, I've found i don't need the milks at all for baking. I use water and a little nuts or nut butter for the added fat.)

You might be able to make a grain-based milk at home lower fat (rice or oats). Much better for a starch-based diet, right? However, I believe the commercial grain-based milks contain added oil to match the fat levels of nuts and soy, which are high in fat naturally.

I tend to avoid additives, but playing devil's advocate for a moment, I'm not sure what the issue with soy lecithin is. I have seen discussion about it in this forum. But in this case, where all of the options contain fat anyway, I'd be more concerned about total grams of fat. If it said zero fat but still contained lecithin, then maybe the lecithin is something to consider.
aurora

Postby lucyethel » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:30 am

Aurora, your fave, Westsoy has a non-fat soy milk:

Non Fat
Plain
6.25g Protein
WESTSOY® Non Fat Plain is made from whole soybeans. Smooth, creamy and delicious, with 6.25g of protein per serving, it has all the heart-healthy benefits of soymilk without the fat, and only 70 calories per serving. It is also an excellent source of Calcium and Vitamin D. Enjoy by the glassful, over cereal, or in your favorite recipe to add the delectable flavor and benefits of soy to your nutritious diet.

INGREDIENTS: FILTERED WATER, ORGANIC SOYMILK (FILTERED WATER, WHOLE ORGANIC SOYBEANS), ORGANIC DEHYDRATED CANE JUICE, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, NATURAL FLAVORS, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SEA SALT, CARRAGEENAN, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D2, RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2).
CONTAINS: SOY

Of course, I have no idea what it tastes like! And it doesn't say that it is non-GMO either like the others are. I am going to purchase a couple of boxes of the low fat for tasting... you are right, though, it is much cheaper at Dollar Tree!
lucyethel

Postby aurora » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:00 pm

The non-fat soy milk has a few too many added ingredients, but i'd still be interested in tasting it for fun - I'm easily amused!

The added soy protein's probably not GMO-free, but the actual soy milk part is, since it's organic. I believe Dr. McDougall disapproves of soy protein concentrate anyway.

Good luck on your milk replacement hunt!
aurora

Postby VegMommy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:11 pm

I've read bad things about carageenan.
VegMommy

Postby lucyethel » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:52 pm

I agree about the added ingredients... I have never heard of carrageenan, but will google it to see what it is. I figure the more ingredients that are in a product, the less healthy it is.

Thanks for input!
lucyethel

Postby VegMommy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:02 pm

BTW, love your username. I grew up watching "I Love Lucy". I almost hate to admit it, but watching "I Love Lucy" may be one of my earliest memories...waaaay back around 1961. I've seen some eps so many times I pretty much have them memorized. :P
VegMommy

Postby lucyethel » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:05 pm

That is funny - I grew up on it too. My best friend and I refer to each other as lucy and ethel.... I was nice enough to let her be lucy!! I am a good friend indeed!!
lucyethel

Postby VegMommy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:11 pm

lucyethel wrote:That is funny - I grew up on it too. My best friend and I refer to each other as lucy and ethel.... I was nice enough to let her be lucy!! I am a good friend indeed!!

Wow, you're a REALLY good friend. I would never let anyone else be Lucy. :lol:
VegMommy

Postby aurora » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:58 pm

lucyethel wrote:I agree about the added ingredients... I have never heard of carrageenan, but will google it to see what it is. I figure the more ingredients that are in a product, the less healthy it is.

It's almost impossible to find commercial plant-based milks without added gum thickeners. They all have carrageenan, guar gum, and/or gellan (made from seaweeds, a bean, and bacteria, respectively). It's needed to keep the protein/fat/water from separating, i guess. I've only seen some pure soymilks with no additives.

This drives me crazy! I don't like the thick, kind of slimy mouthfeel of the gums. Also sometimes detect an off-flavor. But maybe I'm the only one - it doesn't seem to bother other people.

I've heard carageenan can cause digestion issues, and I suspect it and gellan do make me feel a little weird after eating them, but not sure. So I just avoid all those gums. But good luck finding milk without them!

While I don't use milks that often, I think I prefer the RICE DREAM Classic Original. It's the only non-soy product I've seen with no gums. It does contain added oil (a big no-no!), but at 2.5 grams fat that's the same amount as other lowfat "milks," so it doesn't seem any worse than the alternatives to me. Even though it does contain actual oil. I'll take that over the gum.

Okay, I think I have exhausted all my opinions now about commercial plant-based milks! :-)
aurora

Postby lucyethel » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:56 pm

Thanks, again, Aurora - I will try the Rice Dream as well... you certainly know more about this than I do!!
lucyethel

Postby flabingo » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:05 pm

I put one cup of almonds in filtered water overnight. I add a small amount of vanilla and add four more cups of water to my VitaMix blender. No other additives.
Results taste fine, no preservatives or any additives, and at about 50% of the cost of any almond milk sold at the store
flabingo

Next

Return to The Sandbox