Fat intake in pregnancy

New to the discussion board? Use this area to practice posting messages.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Fat intake in pregnancy

Postby tjfranklin » Wed May 02, 2018 10:16 pm

Hi Everyone,

First time posting here.

I have a couple of questions about fat during pregnancy.
I am currently 14 weeks pregnant. The first trimester has been rough and I found myself craving fat, so I ate more fat than I had previously. I also struggle with acne and according to Dr McDougall I should omit all overt fats in order to clear my skin. My question is is it safe or wise to omit all overt fats during pregnancy? I also found that other times I have tried not eating overt fats after a few weeks my mood got really low and I started getting joint pain. I wondered if the low fat had lowered estrogen levels. When I added back in fat these symptoms went away. Is the low mood and joint pain part of my body adjusting to lower fat intake and will that come right after a while?

Sorry, thats a long post with lots of questions. Any advice or thoughts would be welcome.

Thank you.
tjfranklin

Re: Fat intake in pregnancy

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:02 am

I just saw this post, and realize it’s a couple months old at this point.

I just had my third child three weeks ago. From what I understand, fat intake requirements do not increase with pregnancy. Protein requirements increase a very small amount.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2011nl ... gnancy.htm

That being said, I definitely had trouble staying on plan during the pregnancy. I didn’t disregard this way of eating, but I did have a lot of exceptions. I also included lots more nuts and couldn’t stand cooked greens. My advice is to give yourself grace during this time, and do your best. I have a whole journal in the Journal section of the forum if you want to read about my experience. Wishing you a healthy pregnancy and uneventful delivery!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to The Sandbox