pasta sauce and tomatoe sauce

New to the discussion board? Use this area to practice posting messages.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

pasta sauce and tomatoe sauce

Postby coolkiwi » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:39 pm

I note these items should be in your pantry but store bought sauces are usually full of sugar and salt...even oil.
The shelf life of home made therefore is?????

My first post so feeling my way on this forum outlet tho not new to eating whole food plant-based
coolkiwi

Re: pasta sauce and tomatoe sauce

Postby VeggieSue » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:01 am

coolkiwi wrote:I note these items should be in your pantry but store bought sauces are usually full of sugar and salt...even oil.
The shelf life of home made therefore is?????

My first post so feeling my way on this forum outlet tho not new to eating whole food plant-based

This forum - the Sandbox - is where people play with their HTML code, avatars, signatures - learn how to post things. You'll get a better response if you repeat this in the Lounge forum.

And as for you questions, there are a few commercially made sauces that are on-plan, you just have to read labels. If you have a Whole Foods near you, their Engine 2 brand is all McDougall-safe, and WF has one flavor of their own brand that is allowable. Trader Joe's also has one that is safe, I think the mushroom. I don't have either of these stores nearby so you'll have to check. People on-line have said Aldi's grocery store brand now has a few without oil. Also, if you go to the green drop-down menu at the top of every page, in the Education section, select the Recipes link, and the next pop-up will show you a link to the approved packaged foods list. There you'll find Dr. McDougall's list, but again, read labels, because companies have been known to change ingredients and IDK how often they update the list.

Homemade sauce keeps for about a week, but we never have enough leftover in this house that goes unused that long. You can always freeze any extra if the batch you make is too big, too.
VeggieSue

Return to The Sandbox