Anyone use a rowing machine?

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby hazelrah » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:06 pm

LJ wrote:...this rowing is just the thing I needed. Plus, I just simply LOVE it! There's something very relaxing about it.

Well, LJ, inspired by your enthusiasm, today I decided to do a 10K on the C2 for the first time in over a decade. It took 45 minutes.

Since you were so instrumental in my doing this, I thought I'd invite you to come out here tomorrow and carry me around all day, bend over to tie my shoes, pick things up,... , and tend to the blisters at the base of my fingers. You know, all the little things that I won't be able to do myself tomorrow. Maybe after a day or two of that, I'll find something relaxing about it, too.

You know what I said about how, "I suppose I could learn to love the C2?"
Don't quote me on that. I'm rethinking it.

Mark
hazelrah

Postby LJ » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:55 pm

LOL! I can't believe I just now saw your post Mark! Too funny! Whats even funnier is that I've been jogging more lately than the C2. I haven't been on the C2 in a few weeks now. Think maybe I'll hit it tomorrow morning. Hey, and I'd take any reason to head out to California!!!

"The food you put into your body is the single most powerful factor that determines your health and well being." Dr. John A. McDougall, MD
LJ

Re: LJ MIA

Postby hazelrah » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:02 pm

LJ wrote:LOL! I can't believe I just now saw your post Mark! Too funny! Whats even funnier is that I've been jogging more lately than the C2. I haven't been on the C2 in a few weeks now. Think maybe I'll hit it tomorrow morning. Hey, and I'd take any reason to head out to California!!!

Guess that explains why I had to hobble around all day with no help.

I've started doing a 10K each week. Last week Wednesday and this week today. I've added like 8% to my time. I used to do 10K in like 42 minutes. Now it's 46. It is getting less irritating, but I don't think I'm getting any better. I think I switched the damper from 10 to like 5 and I remember that having a big affect on the performance, but I don't want to make it easier. I think it's probably good for me, but I'm still not feeling the love. If Garbanzo hadn't brought the 30 degree weather with her into the bay area, I'd be out jogging, too, but I'm a wimp.

Have fun with the C2 tomorrow!

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Re: Anyone use a rowing machine?

Postby RowerDave » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:50 pm

I have been using one for several years and, combined with the McDougall Program, have dropped about 70 pounds (lots more to go), but keeping all of it off.

OK, make that 80 pounds! But I have to admit to an accident on the rower this week: I actually fell off, rolled over and landed on my knee. Embarrassing. I went to sit on the rolling seat, which was out of position. Fully recovered now and back to one hour a day. Don't let these dangers deter you from trying rowing.
RowerDave

Postby TwinB » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:26 pm

Pics! hehe. Hey Dave, was the video camera running when you did that? Just kidding. Speaking of rowing - I've had what I think is plantar fascitis for ~3 weeks now and it's getting much less painful. I've been using the stationery bike for aerobic exercise, staying off the treadmill and not walking much. Do you have any thoughts about whether the rowing machine could be another option for me while I recuperate from the inflammation in my heel/foot? Thanks, Joe.
TwinB

Postby RowerDave » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:18 pm

Hi Joe,

Rowing should be gentle to your plantar fascilitis, but the best thing is to try it in small increments. I had heel pain bad enough to require an orthotic but rowing never bothered it. If rowing is new to you, start slowly (10-15 minutes) at slow to moderate pace but try to do it almost every day. You may feel twinges in your back so listen to your body, but you get past that after a few days.

Watch out, it's addictive! And no, the camera wasn't running but at least I didn't get wet.

Dave
RowerDave

Postby TwinB » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:30 am

Got it, thanks.
TwinB

Postby Steelhead » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:12 pm

I've used the Concept 2 erg for about 20 years. In reading the posts, I just want to emphasize that proper form is imperative; e.g., if your back hurts, then your form is poor.

Here is the proper technique: catch, drive, finish, recovery. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqVmMd7FdAA
No matter what genes we inherit, changes in diet can affect DNA expression at a genetic level." Michael Greger M.D.

Certificate in Plant-Based Nutrition - eCornell & T. Colin Campbell Foundation.
Steelhead

Postby RowerDave » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:07 am

Hey rowers! Interest seems to be diminishing in this thread. One way I keep my rowing activity up is by participating in Concept 2's periodic contests. I just completed the Holiday Challenge by rowing 200,000 meters between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I tried this two years ago and got injured at 160,000 m, so this was a big deal to finally hit 200km.

I learned a bit about goal setting, too. I fell behind in my target and almost gave up. After a couple of twice-daily rows, I got back on track and hit the goal Dec. 24.

Hop on and get rowing!
RowerDave

Postby Jubilee » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:25 am

Hey, RowerDave.

In answer to your question- anyone using a rowing machine? - I am. :-)

I'm certainly not in your league as a competitive rower. However, lately rowing has been my exercise of choice. I have a lot of weight to lose (+70 lb.), and walking on the treadmill (or outside or anywhere) seems to hurt my knees after only a few mins. For some reason, even though I'm constantly bending my knees rowing, it doesn't hurt at all. I've also read some things about Burst Training on this board and elsewhere, so that's how I'm doing it.

And, I'm enjoying it! I always have to make myself get up and go to it (which would be true with any exercise unfortunately), but once I'm at it, it's fun.

Blessings,
Jubilee
Jubilee

Postby RowerDave » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:55 pm

Jubilee,

Glad to hear you're enjoying rowing. Many people give up on it, thinking it will hurt their back or knees. Done properly, most people can do it! I read about an 80-year old man who has rowed the circumference of the earth in 10 years (42 million meters). This would have taken him about 90 minutes a day.

I've lost 75 pounds and kept them off on the McDougall program plus rowing. Still working on the rest, but daily exercise is a must for me.

Good luck - just stick with it!

RowerDave
RowerDave

Previous

Return to Exercise and Fitness