Anyone use a rowing machine?

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Anyone use a rowing machine?

Postby momof4 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:23 am

I used this at the gym yesterday for the first time, and I really liked it. It's tucked away in a corner and I've never seen anyone use it, but it was a great workout. I've heard good things about them, but I'm unsure of a few things.

How fast should you be going, or does it matter? I had it set to a tension that gave me a good upper-body workout, but I don't know if you're suppose to go a certain speed to get the best results.

Do you know an equivalent compared to other machines (ie, 10 min on the rower is like 15 on the ellipical--something like that)?

Any other tips would be appreciated!
momof4

Postby Sunny » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:42 am

Rowing is a great all over exercise, it will do wonders for your back and lats. Speed does not matter but proper form does, to make sure you are working the muscles properly. You will pick up speed as you go. As far as time equivelant I usually work out till tired and sometimes push past that. Whatever you feel comfortable with. You may look on the internet to see if you can find a time /calorie burning chart, that might help. Glad you found the machine. :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

About form...

Postby momof4 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:49 am

What is proper form? Unfortunately, the trainer at the gym wasn't to helpful. I'm trying to keep my back straight and concentrate on using my back muscles, like I'm trying to squeeze my shoulder blades together (this is how the pt had me doing exercises, so I don't lift my shoulders and end up hurting my neck).
Thanks!
momof4

Postby Sunny » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:00 am

It sounds like you have it right. Pt helps you learn alot about form and the do's and don'ts of proper movement during exercise. :-D

P.S. I Love your quote on the signiture line, it is so true.
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Postby prairiedream » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:06 pm

My MIL had one and I tried it out one time for about twenty minutes. I loved it, very soothing motion but the next day my *legs* were so sore I could barely walk! This was a long time ago, back when I wasn't exercising regularly, but I remember being surprised that a rowing machine would also condition my legs.
prairiedream

Postby Janet in Dallas » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:31 pm

LOVE the rowing machine. I discovered it in November. Yes, I had to blow the dust off of it @ the gym, but noticed that once I started using it, more & more people where trying it out!

Go to/Google www.concept2.com

Concept 2 is a BIG distributor of rowing machines (mostly for gyms), so this was perfect. Oh-my-gosh! Rowing is HUGE in the northeast...this website will uncover a "rowing underground" that I didn't know existed! There are tons of 'boards' to help you (i.e. chat/motivation/etc.). There's also a Pacing Chart that will help you gauge your time. If you average 2.30/500 meters, of course, 6,000 meters = 30 minutes. Set the resistence on 3-5 & get started.

Form? Your body will automatically 'do it right' once you get started. The website will show you how to row correctly if you have specific questions. You can even request a free 'How to Row' DVD!

This website also has a free training log that you can record your times....and even rank yourself among everyone else! There are lots of international rowers (especially in Great Britain) that will be ranked among you.

Tip: I've used my weightlifting gloves to protect my hands after I got some nasty blisters on my palms the 1st couple of times I rowed (badge of honor!).

I'm mostly an 'elliptical/treadmill girl' since I like to stride to a specific beat w/ my favorite music. That's the only thing I don't like about rowing...it's hard to row to a beat. But other than that, it's FUN! They always say....'the machines that aren't used very much are usually the HARDEST!' It will get your heartrate up if you row w/ a purpose (i.e. strolling vs. power walking). I like the guys that plop down on the rower beside me, throw that resistance to 10 & burn out in 5 minutes! Just keep your resistence down to 3-4-5 for a longer period of time (you want your 'boat' to be sleek & fast, not heavy).

Try these tips & respond back within this post. I think you'll be surprised how you'll get hooked!! jg

p.s.. after review this, I sound like a rep for Concept 2!! I'm not; just excited that someone else 'out there' has discovered this little gem!
Janet in Dallas

Rowing is a terrific exercise for people with bad knees

Postby RowerDave » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:33 pm

The last post from 'Janet in Dallas' sums up the enthusiasm I have for the Concept 2 rowing machine. I have been using one for several years and, combined with the McDougall Program, have dropped about 70 pounds (lots more to go), but keeping all of it off.

Like Janet I don't work for Concept 2 but sing their praises. The website lists some benefits:
http://www.concept2.com/us/indoorrowers/benefits.asp

Most health clubs have one sitting over in a corner. Occasionally someone hops on, rows like mad, then jumps off after 5 minutes, complaining about soreness. I saw an exercise physiologist years ago, looking for exercise an obese guy with bad knees could do. I could not walk any distance without injury. Even biking hurt my knees. He recommended rowing.

Here's how to get started (assuming you have the usual clearance from your physician): row slowly for one minute and stop. The next day do two minutes, and so on. Most people can build up to 15-20 minutes, which equates to a one mile walk. With proper form you won't hurt your back. It is wonderful exercise and does not hurt my knees. (If your knees hurt, stop. Try the next day.).

I now do 45-60 minutes 6 days a week. I estimate I row between 1-2 million meters a year. I can't wait to row tomorrow morning!

Concept 2 keeps a listing of where to find these machines.

http://www.concept2.com/us/interactive/rowerfinder.asp

When I travel, I locate a hotel or health club and go just to use their rower. They think it odd that a fat guy would come in and just row for an hour, but it has made a world of difference to me.

The Flamingo in Santa Rosa has a brand new rower from another company that is also excellent. Try it when you're at the program.

Most people look at a rower and figure it is just for the ultra-athlete. The irony is it's well suited for people who can't do much else! That was me! I highly recommend it.

By the way, Dr. Esselstyn was an Olympic gold medal winner in rowing.

RowerDave
RowerDave

Re: About form...

Postby AussieDavid » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:07 pm

momof4 wrote:What is proper form?
Thanks!

Concept 2 Rowing Machine

Sitting upright and comfortable. Strap your shoes into the foot pads reasonably firmly. Depending on your strength & endurance level, set the resistance lever on the RHS of the wheel to an appropriate level. 1 (down) is the easiest while 10 (uppermost) is the hardest.

Set your LCD display to whichever combo of data you wish to view & monitor. The C2 has quite a few combos. Check them out. Take hold of the rowing arm with both hands (of course). by sliding forward on the sled. Test the sled & rowing chain for ease of movement and safety. Starting up, keep the knees bent with the lower leg perpendicular to the floor. This is the limit of travel. One should not bend the knees forward from this point. Push back with the legs and straighten them and your arms at the same time. Then when both are straight, it is time to bring your arms/hands in to your upper body. Somewhere around the bottom of the rib cage is the area to aim for but a little higher or lower may be easier for some. Test your own 'comfort' level.

Once you are all the way back on the sled with hands against your lower ribs, you have to make your way back to the starting point. This is where 99.999% of people make the mistake.

Release your arms first. Straighten them before you slide forward. Ensure that your hands are past your knees before you slide forward.

Again: Release your arms first. Straighten them before you slide forward. Ensure that your hands are past your knees before you slide forward.

Then slide forward to the lower leg vertical point and start again.

That is the correct technique. Most people will slide forward with legs & arms and have to lift the bar up over their bending knees. No good. Take a look at others on the rower. They pretty much all do that and unfortunately, the 'trainers' don't know any better either.

To ensure perfect technique, you may have to row slowly & with light resistance for a while first. Get the technique right, then build your speed & resistance. It will come as second nature.

Now, I am off to the gym for a row!!!! Oh yes, my gym has 6 C2 rowers and they do get used, albeit for a few mins each, except for when I hop on!!

Best wishes to all you rowers - and everyone else toooooop!!!!
AussieDavid

Re: Anyone use a rowing machine?

Postby hazelrah » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:30 pm

momof4 wrote:I used this at the gym yesterday for the first time, and I really liked it. It's tucked away in a corner and I've never seen anyone use it, but it was a great workout. I've heard good things about them, but I'm unsure of a few things.

How fast should you be going, or does it matter? I had it set to a tension that gave me a good upper-body workout, but I don't know if you're suppose to go a certain speed to get the best results.!

Hey Momo!

Someone who rowed on a team used to always tell me that I should go slower, like 25-28 strokes per minute or so. She may have said why, but I don't remember. But it seems to go faster(more meters in a given time) when you go at 25 than if you go at 30 or above. That always seemed weird to me. and the faster seemed like it's easier, less resistence,...

momof4 wrote:Do you know an equivalent compared to other machines (ie, 10 min on the rower is like 15 on the ellipical--something like that)?

Any other tips would be appreciated

Don't know how it compares to other cardio machines , but it should be worth a lot more than stuff like the elliptical.
I used to do 10K on it each week, and that was a hard workout. Felt like running 10 or 15 miles. You really have to get into your head to get through it.

I can't think of much else. Your back will eventually adapt, but don't expect it overnight.
hazelrah

Rowing technique and damper wheel

Postby RowerDave » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:03 pm

One note on rowing that's often confusing: the big round wheel on the side of the Concept2 is called the damper, and should be set to a midrange, like 5. It does not set the resistance. The resistance is set by how hard you row. As I said in my previous post, start slow and work up to 30-45 minutes. Going flat-out while starting only discourages!

C2's website has some helpful stuff. A video showing proper rowing form:

http://www.concept2.com/us/training/technique.asp

Also, how to use the damper:

http://www.concept2.com/us/training/basics/damper_intensity.asp

The machine is also called an ergometer, and I've heard that it calculates calories and watts pretty accurately, maybe better than other cardio equipment. A 15 minute row is about 100 calories for me.

Happy rowing! :)
RowerDave

Postby LJ » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:41 pm

Ok, ya'll did it now. I read this thread last week so I decided to jump on the C2 at the gym. I'm addicted! I can't believe how many muscles in so many places this thing works out! I'm up to 30 minutes at a time, although my back is still adjusting, or I should say, getting stronger. I'm hooked!

"The food you put into your body is the single most powerful factor that determines your health and well being." Dr. John A. McDougall, MD
LJ

Postby hazelrah » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:15 pm

LJ wrote: I'm up to 30 minutes at a time, although my back is still adjusting, or I should say, getting stronger. I'm hooked!

30 minutes! And you just started using it? The 10 K used to take me like 40-42 minutes and it took some time to work up to that. I don't think I could have lasted 30 minutes during the first few months I used it. You're like a C2 ringer or something, huh?

Hey, has anybody ever used one of the ones that had a little video screen that would show you the pacing boat? We used to have two of those at the Embarcadero SF YMCA in the early 90's I think. It was kind of fun, like playing pong for a workout. There were little digital people cheering for you as you got near the goal. They didn't last long and I think one of them burnt out and smelled kind of bad afterwards. Probably somebody like LJ came up and figured they'd try a little hour row and drove the machine crazy.

Mark
hazelrah

Postby LJ » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:02 pm

Ha, you're funny Mark!! I don't think its that I'm a natural at the rowing...not at all. I'm a regular exerciser so it wasn't like I went from the couch to the rower. The 2nd time I got on the rower, I only did 15 minutes because my back muscles still hadn't recovered. I can do 30 but am going to work up to 45-60 minutes. What an unbelievable work-out!! I plan to incorporate it in with running and the elliptical. I believe in cross training and 'mixing it up' on your body. For me, anyways, I have to keep changing things up and this rowing is just the thing I needed. Plus, I just simply LOVE it! There's something very relaxing about it.

"The food you put into your body is the single most powerful factor that determines your health and well being." Dr. John A. McDougall, MD
LJ

Postby hazelrah » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:48 pm

LJ wrote: What an unbelievable work-out!! I plan to incorporate it in with running and the elliptical. I believe in cross training and 'mixing it up' on your body. For me, anyways, I have to keep changing things up and this rowing is just the thing I needed. Plus, I just simply LOVE it! There's something very relaxing about it.

I'm with you on the first part. It was a workout that seemed better than almost any other cardio machine. I even looked into buying a skull to take up rowing as a sport. Stanford was selling their old ones, but I didn't have the money at the time.

The reason I quit, aside from all my healthy habits going to pot, was that it seemed to need too much concentration. My sport is jogging. The reason I like it so much is that I put the shoes on and off I go. So long as you have the wherewithall to avoid cars and know how to tie your laces, you can pretty much just let yourself float into the ether. Stuff that required form; weight training, the nordic track,... It was all too much to worry about. Even keeping track of laps in swimming is more than I care for. It took the fun out of it. For me the primary requirement for an exercise is that I like it enough to look forward to doing it. When the day for the C2 workout came each week, I started to dread it, like when I used to do track intervals. But, maybe if I keep hearing your enthusiasm, I'll start to wonder just what I'm missing and check it out again. I think my circulation is just started to heal from whatever happened to it about 10 years ago. My running is finally starting to improve, and I have more energy since I started following this plan more rigorously in May. I suppose I could learn to love the C2. One nice thing about it is that you can usually find an open one in most gyms. Congratulations on finding an exercise that gives you so much joy.

Mark
hazelrah

Re: About form...

Postby Laurav » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:37 pm

momof4 wrote:What is proper form?

Look up the "Flip Luisi" video on Youtube, it illustrates good rowing technique.
Most people do it really badly and don't put much power into it.

Laura
Laurav

Next

Return to Exercise and Fitness