Is it dangerous for women to train hard?

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Is it dangerous for women to train hard?

Postby The Swede » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:10 am

Is it dangerous for women to train hard, such as jogging, strength training (bodybuilding) and riding a horse like a man etc?

Look at this video och see the links to the research under the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy8okAfB894

What do you think about it? He he right och wrong? Why? Why not?
The Swede

Re: Is it dangerous for women to train hard?

Postby The Swede » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:16 pm

I think what he is talking about sounds like common sense. If one considers the history of mankind, women ( and men) have not been exposed to that type of exercise. And to train, for example, with weights and so-called squatting to strengthen the lower muscles, when it's supposed to be soft for childbirth seems to be stupid, or what do you think?
The Swede

Postby The Swede » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:33 am

Also women training to get skinny like in the fitness models I see, that can not be healthy, not to be fat and overweight either, but they are way to skinny, they need some healthy fat when they are going to have children och many loose their menstruation and so on. Women should not aim at the same goal as men, I think that is stupid. It is scary to see that women are encouraged to train as hard as men now, in the name of equality and pretend that there are no negative consequences for women when they do so.
The Swede

Postby f00die » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:06 pm

every endeavor is enveloped with shortcomings
as fire is enveloped with smoke
ppl can decide what costs they will endure
for the benefits they want
for example,
sarcopenia vs stress incontinence
frailty is a major source of disability and low quality of life
while stress incontinence is not as disabling comparatively
choices
f00die

Postby The Swede » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:11 pm

What do you mean by that?
The Swede

Postby DanTheYogi » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:04 am

f00die wrote:every endeavor is enveloped with shortcomings
as fire is enveloped with smoke
ppl can decide what costs they will endure
for the benefits they want
for example,
sarcopenia vs stress incontinence
frailty is a major source of disability and low quality of life
while stress incontinence is not as disabling comparatively
choices

You present this as if it's an either/or, like there is no middle ground. Don't you think it's possible for women to do healthy amounts of weight bearing exercise without stressing themselves to the point of incontinence? He even made this point in the video - he's not encouraging women to be couch potatoes, he just doesn't think women should be killing themselves training so hard to the point of health problems.

I found this video intriguing. Admittedly when I saw the title to your post I internally rolled my eyes a bit. However, I think it was exactly what I needed to see. Even though I'm not a woman, I do think there is something to be said about the current fitness culture at large. There have been times where I certainly got caught up in the craze of exercising in excess. I've never been one to just do cardio for hours on end, and I've always spread my activity out between different ventures, which helps. But waking up and going biking for 25 miles, then going and playing basketball for hours, then going and doing yoga or dancing or partner acrobatics in the evening can certainly add up to 4+ hours of pretty intense physical activity in one day. Sometimes I feel good doing it, other times it totally drains me the next day or 2. Not to mention that I end up having to eat an absurd amount of food to sustain myself when I'm this active, which leads to GI issues due to sheer volume.

This video made me ask myself, "why am I doing these things?" At the end of the day, I think about all these intense endurance athletes who train for hours on end. Are these people really healthy? I'm not just talking about from a physical standpoint - are these people mentally, emotionally, spiritually ok? I'm not so sure. It seems to me that this form of training and exercise is another way of hiding from ones problems. I speak from personal experience on this one, and I have friends in a similar boat who would echo the same sentiments. I'm not saying this is universally true, and certainly exercise is a healthier "coping" mechanism than drugs, alcohol, smoking, gambling, etc.

I have long admired and looked up to some of the plant-based athletes in our movement, but I'm not sure I will look at these athletes as models of good health to aspire towards any longer. I want to develop a healthier relationship with being physically active, and spend more time on the best part of life - developing fulfilling and nourishing relationships with other people.
DanTheYogi

Postby JeffN » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:47 am

DanTheYogi wrote:I have long admired and looked up to some of the plant-based athletes in our movement, but I'm not sure I will look at these athletes as models of good health to aspire towards any longer. I want to develop a healthier relationship with being physically active, and spend more time on the best part of life - developing fulfilling and nourishing relationships with other people.

There are several thread in my forum on this topic. While interesting, it has no relevance to what we do. Extreme and high levels of exercise are not recommended as they do not increase health and maybe counter productive. They definitely increase your risk for injuries.

Regular, consistent, moderate and safe is what we recommend.

As with most things in health, getting an adequate amount and enough is healthy but more is not healthier

in Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Exercise and Fitness