Exercising in High Heat

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Exercising in High Heat

Postby WFPB-Girl » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:35 pm

Hi Jeff,

I live in Las Vegas and ride my road bike and otherwise exercise throughout the summer. I usually pour wet my clothes with a graden hose before setting off and with our low humidity, this works really well. Once my clothes dry up, I pour water onto my back, sports bra, gloves.

Taking electrolytes is an absolute necessity for me; I have tried just drinking water and I don't feel well at all. I searched the forum on electrolytes and came up empty. I'm currently using Skratch, which seems to be a pretty natural electrolyte mixture and it works great for me. However, it is expensive and I'm wondering if there are natural electrolyte mixtures I can easily make at home using fruits and/or vegetables. Any thoughts?

Thanks for all your great advice!
WFPB-Girl

Re: Exercising in High Heat

Postby DanTheYogi » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:33 pm

WFPB-Girl wrote:Hi Jeff,

I live in Las Vegas and ride my road bike and otherwise exercise throughout the summer. I usually pour wet my clothes with a graden hose before setting off and with our low humidity, this works really well. Once my clothes dry up, I pour water onto my back, sports bra, gloves.

Taking electrolytes is an absolute necessity for me; I have tried just drinking water and I don't feel well at all. I searched the forum on electrolytes and came up empty. I'm currently using Skratch, which seems to be a pretty natural electrolyte mixture and it works great for me. However, it is expensive and I'm wondering if there are natural electrolyte mixtures I can easily make at home using fruits and/or vegetables. Any thoughts?

Thanks for all your great advice!

Hello,

Jeff may not see/respond to this as this is the exercise forum and not his personal forum.

I'm curious how long your exercise sessions are for? I live in Texas, where it is very hot and humid, and will often exercise for an hour (or more) at peak aerobic capacity with nothing but water. I have weighed myself before and after and literally lost multiple pounds of water weight from sweating, but I have no issues in terms of how I feel.

Assuming your diet is on point, you should be able exercise with no issues at the time/intensity levels recommended on the forum without any supplements, etc.
DanTheYogi

Re: Exercising in High Heat

Postby PJK » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:00 am

You might try simply drinking more plain water.

This Medical News Today article says 1 cause of electrolyte imbalance is dehydration.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/153188.php
PJK

Return to Exercise and Fitness