Fuel for endurance runners

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Fuel for endurance runners

Postby Ruff » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:08 pm

I was in the hills last week with my daughter who is training for the Kepler. (Ultra race in New Zealand), and we were discussing food. Many ultra races are not supported, meaning there are no, or minimal aid stations, and the runner must carry their own food. Inevitably this leads to gels. Real food have problems eating whilst continuing to run, if there is no one to hand it to you. Even a banana needs peeling and the skin repacked into ones bag.

My daughter, who hates gels, has come up with a brilliant solution, at least for runners, not sure if it will work for cyclists. Baby food!

This comes in potion sized packets with a tube on top. Simply remove the cap, suck the insides and you are done. Replace cap and you have a clean packet to re-stow, all of which can be done on the move. The baby food has no additives (unlike gels which are often additive soup!) and consists of real food, like banana, blueberry and quinoa. No salt, or sugar, this is baby food! Obviously not all are vegan but there are plenty of dairy and meat free choices. Calories are written on the back making it easy to calculate intake (no. of calories per hour running..)

This is baby food, so has been puréed....I.e. processed,like a smoothie, but we are talking digestible food for ultra runners here!

I think the problem for cyclists would be removing the cap whilst cycling? I don’t bike...
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Re: Fuel for endurance runners

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:00 pm

This sounds pretty genius. I’ll share with a couple friends training for marathons. Way better than gels.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to Exercise and Fitness