Try it you'll like it!

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Try it you'll like it!

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:41 pm

In the spirit of vgpedlr's posts about "easy" training...the video linked below is a great explanation of how I have been training for the past 8-10 months and also the reasoning behind it. There's a lot more on the blog I will linked below that

Joe Rogan-How To Work Out Smarter

Strong First-anti glycolytic training

I alternate days of very short sets of explosive strength work (15-20 seconds max) with very long rests intervals (1-2 minutes or longer as needed) and days of long slow distance either brisk walking or easy cruising on bicycle. Net results is I have been able to get an great work out in every day with no over training and no injuries but steady progress. I have life time history of pushing too hard and this has been a great antidote. It almost feels like cheating but the results speak for themselves
GeoffreyLevens

Re: Try it you'll like it!

Postby Thrasymachus » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:28 pm

Thanks for the video, for some reason I clicked it and it is from Firas Zahabi the trainer of George St Pierre and alot of other successful mma fighters. I almost wasn't gonna watch it because it was titled Joe Rogan and he is douchey brodude personified.

The gist of the segment is that Firas says when you train you shouldn't be sore afterward, if you are sore you are over-trained. He points out that someone who is sore after every workout cannot work out as much as someone who can constantly train. I know when I first start lifting weights again after stopping for more than a week and a half or so, especially after squatting again for the first time my hamstrings and quads become very sore and fatigued and it takes many workout sessions over several weeks to adapt to squatting. Until that time I can barely walk properly. The problem is that I always quit working out and have to re-experience that adaption when I pick it up again, then I quit working out and have to re-experience the soreness, cycle again and again...

I will try to work out real light with my squat only 40 kg this next session and see if I am sore the next day with such a light weight.
Thrasymachus

Postby Chumly » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:39 am

Sounds like a good plan! I have often exercised way to hard and paid the price with excessive muscle soreness in the past. The worst was when I joined Boot Camp for a few months. By the end of it, I was almost constantly in pain. Every day I would wake up at 5 and exercise for an hour at really high intensity. I'm not doing that again. I'm going to pick some body weight exercises and do a few of them every day and gradually increase them as I get stronger and more fit. I will also focus on activities that I naturally enjoy (walking, hiking and biking) and do them in reasonable amounts.

Michael
Chumly

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:45 am

Thrasymachus wrote:I will try to work out real light with my squat only 40 kg this next session and see if I am sore the next day with such a light weight.

I think it can be more complex than that to really get it. It is the balance of intensity (weight) and volume (reps) in a session that is key. You can go heavy but but only do 60-70% of the reps you could do with that weight. Then equally important is active rest until fully recovered i.e. shake it out, walk around, etc. Then repeat for more sets than you would or could do if maxing the reps out every set. And also, part of this is to stop the session before you are "done in". Rather you are "done" when there is still some left on the table, maybe a couple more sets...
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Skip » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:23 pm

Similar to the 80/20 rule . Copied from Matt Fitzgeralds book: 80/20 Running: Run Stronger and Race Faster By Training Slower

Previously, scientists who dismissed slow running as “junk miles” seemed to have the weight of evidence on their side. Then along came Stephen Seiler, an American exercise physiologist based in Norway whose intuition told him that the training methods used by the most successful athletes were probably a better representation of what really works than were the limited lab experiments that appeared to suggest that the world’s greatest long-distance racers had no idea what they were doing. This intuition led Seiler to embark on a research agenda that culminated in the most significant breakthrough in running since Arthur Lydiard’s original discovery of slow running: the 80/20 Rule.

Seiler started by exhaustively analyzing the training methods of world-class rowers and cross-country skiers. He found a remarkable consistency: Athletes in both sports did approximately 80 percent of their training sessions at low intensity and 20 percent at high intensity. In subsequent research, Seiler learned that elite cyclists, swimmers, triathletes, rowers, and—yes—runners did the same thing. Knowing this pattern could not possibly be an arbitrary coincidence, Seiler and other researchers designed studies where athletes were placed on either an 80/20 training regimen or a regimen with more hard training and less easy training. In every case, the results have been the same: 80/20 training yields drastically better results than more intense training. The 80/20 Rule promises to revolutionize running (and other endurance sports) in a couple of ways. First, it ends the debate over whether a mostly-slow approach or a speed-based approach to training is more effective. No longer will scientists and coaches with a bias for high intensity (or even moderate intensity) be able to steer runners in the wrong direction. Second, by supplying clear numerical targets, Seiler’s discovery makes effective training easier even for runners who are already training more or less the right way. The 80/20 Rule removes the guesswork from the training process. Reaping its benefits is a simple matter of planning your workouts in accordance with the rule and monitoring your running intensity during each workout to ensure you’re where you’re supposed to be. Seiler’s rule also helps runners by explicitly defining low intensity. The boundary between low intensity and moderate intensity, according to Seiler, falls at the ventilatory threshold, which is the intensity level at which the breathing rate abruptly deepens. This threshold is slightly below the more familiar lactate threshold, which you can think of as the highest running intensity at which you can talk comfortably. In well-trained runners, the ventilatory threshold typically falls between 77 percent and 79 percent of maximum heart rate.

"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby Granolamom » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:28 pm

I'm pretty new to this....typically do beachbody videos or treadmill/max trainer etc. I've tried free weights but I'm so sore the next day that I hate it or if I go lighter I feel like I'm not doing anything.

Can you give me a workout to try so I know where to start?
Granolamom

Postby Skip » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:57 pm

Granolamom wrote:I'm pretty new to this....typically do beachbody videos or treadmill/max trainer etc. I've tried free weights but I'm so sore the next day that I hate it or if I go lighter I feel like I'm not doing anything.

Can you give me a workout to try so I know where to start?

With the free weights, if you lift to much and get sore the next day, you should go lighter. The important thing when you go lighter is to increase the reps until you start to fatigue the muscles. Fatiguing the muscle builds it up, whether you are lifting heavy or light. Going lighter and increasing the reps is safer and does just as much good if you keep lifting to your perceived fatigue point.
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Return to Exercise and Fitness