My newest heart rate detector.....

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

My newest heart rate detector.....

Postby Skip » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:58 am

I'm loving this new heart rate monitor. It is accurate and no need for those cumbersome chest straps anymore:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074K ... UTF8&psc=1
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Re: My newest heart rate detector.....

Postby sharonbikes » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:09 pm

I just saw this on the Polar website - I wondered if it was as accurate as the chest strap? The website says it works with all the Bluetooth HRM's - I have an older A300 and also one of similar age that is a bike computer - don't remember the model. Are you using an older HRM with this new strap or did you buy a new HRM, too?

I have used Polar HRM's since forever ... love them.

Sharon
sharonbikes

Postby Skip » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:53 pm

sharonbikes wrote:I just saw this on the Polar website - I wondered if it was as accurate as the chest strap? The website says it works with all the Bluetooth HRM's - I have an older A300 and also one of similar age that is a bike computer - don't remember the model. Are you using an older HRM with this new strap or did you buy a new HRM, too?

I have used Polar HRM's since forever ... love them.

Sharon

The Polar website says that the OH1 is compatible with the A300
https://www.polar.com/us-en/products/ac ... ate-sensor
I have found that the OH1 is very accurate, in my opinion, as accurate or more accurate (less "bouncing around") than the H7 transmitter/ chest strap.
I have had a Polar V800 for a few years now......
The OH1 battery is rechargeable, no need to keep replacing batteries and straps for my H7 setup and the convenience of slapping it on your forearm is very convenient.

Edit: The OH1 won't work when swimming with the A300, but will work out of the water with OH1.
Last edited by Skip on Tue May 01, 2018 1:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Skip

Postby roundcoconut » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:25 pm

Skip, I actually bought a reallly similar model also! (I have the Polar A360.)

I DO like not wearing a chest strap, but of course, the wrist monitor needs to be moderately snug in order to get a reading.

It seems to give fairly consistent, reliable feedback. It is possible that it does not register the elevation of heart rate as quickly as a chest-strap version would, or as quickly as another brand would. (I’ve heard that accusation made of polar’s wrist-strap heart rate monitors.). But on the whole, a good purchase!

Skip, i’m Wondering if your model has the (totally annoying) feature of having the recharging plug at the back of the watch! Mine does, and I imagine that after a few months, that area will get flooded with my sweat, and fall apart as a means of charging. Like, the mini-USB port, is on the back of the watch, right next to all my gross arm-sweat and wrist-sweat. Great job, Polar! Planned obsolescence at its finest. :)
roundcoconut

Postby Skip » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:51 pm

roundcoconut wrote:Skip, i’m Wondering if your model has the (totally annoying) feature of having the recharging plug at the back of the watch! Mine does, and I imagine that after a few months, that area will get flooded with my sweat, and fall apart as a means of charging. Like, the mini-USB port, is on the back of the watch, right next to all my gross arm-sweat and wrist-sweat. Great job, Polar! Planned obsolescence at its finest.

Yes, my model has a recharging receptacle on the back of the watch however it is covered by a cap that comes on and off when recharging. It has a different problem, the charging plug has 4 male prongs which don't always make great contact.
Skip

Postby sharonbikes » Tue May 01, 2018 12:12 pm

One of my the selling points for me for the A300 is that I can just plug it into any USB port to charge. None of the new ones have that. Also- I can swim with it with heart rate. I hope it works for forever!!
sharonbikes

Return to Exercise and Fitness