First bike ride of the year!

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: First bike ride of the year!

Postby Thrasymachus » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:03 pm

Chumly wrote:Any advice on decreasing knee pain?

Try using Pedaling Innovations Catalyst platform pedals. Most pedals are too small to support both sides of the arch of your feet leaving you always unstable, uncomfortable and in an inefficient position on the bike. Most bike pedals force the rest of your body to compensate because they don't give a stable platform and force you to unduly stress the knees and other parts of the body. Catalysts are the biggest flat pedals so you always feel well supported and balanced. Dimensions:
Length – 5.6"/ 143 mm
Width – 3.75"/ 95 mm
Thickness – .6"/ 16 mm

Video presentation explaining the science behind the Catalyst pedal which allows a more optimal mid-foot position instead of the idiot ball of the foot position that the Fred industry touts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui6p54f8XeM

Recently I bought these pedals and replaced a pair of MKS Custom Nuevo Wide Pedals meant for track bikes which were very uncomfortable and also small. Just one Catalyst Pedal is the size of the pair I had on! I didn't realize it but before I was always slightly off balance on the bike. Cataylst pedals are a game changer and I will never go back. After one ride, I bought two additional pairs for my other bikes because I cannot go back to puny platform pedals.

Here are some pics of my Catalyst Pedals:
Cataylst Pedal shown on top of size 10.5 Five Ten Freeride MTB shoe and near MKS Custom Nuevo Wide Pedal

Pedaling Innovations Catalyst Pedal in the hands of a 6' ft tall 165 lb man

One Catalyst Pedal is the size of a pair of MKS Custom Nuevo Wide Pedals

For larger pics see:
https://imgur.com/gallery/0ytj4x5
Thrasymachus

Re: First bike ride of the year!

Postby Chumly » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:45 am

I had the problem using my road bike with clipless pedals and rigid shoes. I rode my back Saturday about 7.5 miles with no pain. The Egoscue therapy has been helpful. I have much less pain and I feel better than I have in years! I have pedals kind of like that on my mountain bike. I would have to measure them, but I think they are in between those pedals in the picture.

Michael
Chumly

Previous

Return to Exercise and Fitness