Bodybuilding: The Sport Everybody Loves to Hate

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Bodybuilding: The Sport Everybody Loves to Hate

Postby vgpedlr » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:30 am

Most people look down on competitive bodybuilding. The freaky physiques out there freak people out. Yet what most people do when they go to the gym is in fact bodybuilding. I think that is kinda funny. That is, they are trying to change their appearance through weightlifting and associated exercise. Gain some muscle, lose some fat and look a certain way, that's bodybuilding.

Personally, I haven't been particularly interested in bodybuilding since I was 13, but I have great respect for those that do. Tremendous dedication and discipline is required. But I do have a grudge against it.

Bodybuilding has held the fitness world and gym hostage for too long.

After my short lived adolescent interest waned, I wasn't that interested in appearance, but function. I wanted to get stronger so I could be better at martial arts, surfing, skiing, MTB, or whatever else. But bodybuilders ruled the gym and I wasted a lot of time trying to follow routines that were too long, too complicated, reliant on muscle isolation instead of basic movement, and we're too difficult to recover from. I was often too sore to do the sports I loved!

Sigh.

But f I only knew then what I know now. I would be so much stronger now, and have had much more fun out in the water and in the hills. That is my point when sharing about Dan John and Easy Strength, or Maffetone and MAF training. You can get great benefits without killing yourself, and have plenty of energy for other things.

What do you think? Do you consider yourself a bodybuilder in the wider or narrower sense? Do you train primarily for body composition or for something else?
vgpedlr

Re: Bodybuilding: The Sport Everybody Loves to Hate

Postby vgpedlr » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:38 am

The last 15 years has seen some different approaches than traditional bodybuilding, but they have their problems too.

First came functional training. Trying to train to be better at sports instead of building muscle was a good idea, but it left us balancing on wobbly things trying to lift, and getting hurt. It was also exceedingly complex, just as bad as bodybuilding split routines.

Then came Crossfit. They brought back a lot of great exercises that had been ignored for far too long, like the powerlifts, Olympic lifts, kettlebells, bodyweight and a conditioning element. But they also encouraged a kill yourself attitude.

No wonder people get so frustrated.
vgpedlr

Postby roundcoconut » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:57 am

Will I embarrass myself too horribly if I tell you that I have long worshipped bodybuilders? When you say you have a respect for bodybuilders, I definitely mirror that, and raise it up to another level.

And yet, I think you’re right that what 90% of people do when they go to the gym is in fact (some crappy and watered down imitation of) bodybuilding. And THAT is what I “love to hate”! The people who are excellent, knowledgeable, dedicated bodybuilders are a joy to watch, while the ding-dongs are freaking painful to watch.

Bodybuilding know-nothings are in the gym isolating tiny muscle groups because it makes them feel cool. (Wrist curls, anyone?)

They also do movements with incredibly poor form, to the point of being a useless movement that does not even hit the muscle they should be using. (Lat pulldowns are a nightmare to watch; also when uncoordinated people try to do tricep pushdowns — they are a total mess!)

“Gym morons” (ha, pardon the harsh term!) also have no idea of the range of motion that they should be shooting for, so they often fall far short of the mark. For example, if you wish to train your ab muscles, visually, then you shouldn’t just do plank exercises every day of the week — you should also use a “crunching” motion much of the time.

I know goood form when I see it, and also know horrible execution when I see it. And yet, I do not do any strength training for my own body.

Basically, I fill all my gym-time with the thing I like most, which is walking. And if I am missing out on something (like more rounded shoulders, which are supposed to be pretty on women, if that is an aesthetic that appeals to you!), I am fine with that!

That’s as far as my workouts go for now, although that is subject to change at any time! :)
roundcoconut

Postby OneLeggedPig » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:51 pm

I've been lifting some weights, in a varying routine, for eighteen months or so, for something a a bit different and to add strength, and yes I admit to look a bit more muscular. I can definitely see the difference, but it really is boring compared to running, cycling football (soccer).

I'm interested as to what your advice would be on the most efficient way to go about it? I don't really want to get "big", and would never be eating enough or working out enough to get that way anyway. I'd just like more muscle and definition. I really can't be bothered with more than about 25 minutes a day of it.

It is, as you alluded to, difficult to decide on a routine because most of what's online is Broscience. I'd love some tips. I'm a bit of a lurker on these forums but I do usually follow your threads with interest.
OneLeggedPig

Postby viv » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:21 am

I like to keep fit and strong. Every day I do some strengthening type exercises as well as my walks on the treadmill at the gym or outside when the weather is nice. Nothing strenuous but over the years I have kept it up and now that I am slim I can actually see the muscles that were lurking underneath. Every day I do 100 sit ups and 20 push ups (the half push up on knees) plus various yoga stretches and exercises based on the Royal Canadian Air Force exercises book. I've recently added an Essentrics workout which I really like. I feel good and my clothes look good (I'm tall with broad shoulders) so it's all good.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Thrasymachus » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:07 pm

I saw a guy with bodybuilder physique about a year ago at the nearby Rockaway Mall. I couldn't help but notice how he had a pathetic range of motion and poor movement patterns. He looked like some lumbering monster or action figure.
Thrasymachus

Return to Exercise and Fitness