EASY Strength Training

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

EASY Strength Training

Postby vgpedlr » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:56 am

Well, it looks like this forum has dried up and blown away . . . But just in case anyone wanders in by accident, I'm going to repost an easy to use template for strength training some may find useful.

Prelude:
For some reason, most people think exercise must hurt to be any good. The "no pain, no gain" and "#beastmode" mentality absolutely dominated fitness discussion. I suppose that intensity is sexy, looks good on the commercials, and gets people excited. But it is totally unnecessary, and I believe wrong for most people. Trying to imitate genetically gifted professional athletes who use PEDs is inappropriate for regular people. If you're in your 20s, you can get away with it for awhile because of hormonal levels. But for the rest of us it's frustration, burnout, and injury. So let the paleo crossfitters have their Pukie the Clown t-shirts, there is another way. (Real deal, google it)

Little and often over the long haul brings the greatest success.

Just like with diet and losing weight, it doesn't happen overnight. You make a practice of the correct habits and keep,at it every day. There is no need to "bomb" or "blast" your body into submission. Folks, it's about health, not war. I think that when training for health and fitness you should feel better when you finish than you did when you started.

Longtime members will recall that when it comes to aerobic fitness that I'm a huge fan of the Maffetone method. Use a heart rate monitor and the 180 formula and use low intensity aerobic sessions to build health and fitness in an enjoyable manner.

For strength training the equivalent is the "Easy Strength" method developed by Dan John and Pavel Tsatsouline. Also goes under the name of the 40 day challenge. Google will show various articles and personal accounts of the program.

How to do it:

Pick one exercise from each of the following categories:
Upper body push
Upper body pull
Hip hinge
Squat
Loaded carry

Do a total of about 10 reps per exercise. I.e. Two sets of five or 3X3. Use a weight that you could comfortably get more reps. Never struggle, never miss. Just practice the movements.

Extra credit for including an explosive move and a frontside move like the leg raise or ab wheel.

So the push could be any variation of bench press or over head press, using any type of equipment or body weight. The pull is any variation of a row or pull up. The squat, any type of squat, lunge, step up etc. The hip hinge is a little trickier, most folks probably need a little help getting this. I did. Deadlift variations and proper kettlebell swings work the hip hinge. A loaded carry is carrying some weight for distance, like a farmer's walk. Absolutely brilliant core work, as it is very real world, all core muscles working and readjusting every step to keep you together.

Frequency:
The key to the program is doing it as often as possible. Since the load and volume are light, sessions need to be frequent. Ideally 5 days a week. You should be able to do it nearly every day. But 3-4 days a week will work too, especially for those really out of shape, or folks who are active doing other things. Workouts are short, no more than 20 min. My last session I completed in the time it took the others to talk about their kids.

So here's what I'm Doing:
Push- Military press
Pull- Pull-up
Hip hinge- Suitcase deadlift
Squat- Front squat
Carry- variable, whatever I feel like

I warm up with a set of kettlebell swings (explosive) and end with the ab wheel.

The Sixth Movement:
Covering the basic human movements is usually enough, but the sixth movement or "everything else" is for individual needs. I'm experimenting with TRX T/Y/I pulls to see if they might help balance my shoulders from cycling.

Quick, easy, and effective. And leaves plenty of time and energy to do other things. You don't have to be a gym rat to build solid, useful strength.
vgpedlr

Re: EASY Strength Training

Postby vgpedlr » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:09 am

Addendum on HIIT:

I know that ther is good research on the benefits of high intensity interval training, and that it works very well for some people.

I don't like HIIT for a few reasons:

Injury risk goes up with intensity

Many (most?) people don't truly go hard enough for something like Tabatas, in order to get the benefits.

I think too many people end up in a gray area, no man's land not intense enough to get the benefit, but hard enough to get injured or just burned out over time.

Repeatability over time, and the long haul make lasting changes. So I believe the best choice for almost everyone almost all the time is combining Easy Endurnce (Maffetone) with Easy Strength (Dan John)

It's OK for exercise to feel good.
vgpedlr

Postby vgpedlr » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:29 am

Addendum PLUS:

From the horse's mouth:

http://danjohn.net/2017/09/easy-strength-new-videos-and-information/

I ran the 40 day challenge version of this program to transition from winter gym time to spring cycling time. It worked very well. I used different exercises but I couldn't believe how easily my lifts went up with so little work. I always felt great, and when the weather was dry enough to ride, I could put in aerobic miles without problem. I did a MTB skills clinic twice with a coach separated by a few weeks of Easy Strength. He was impressed with my strength levels, and it made focusing on skills a lot easier.

Caveat:
If you're looking to gain muscle mass, this program is not ideal. Depending on your training history, you might add some muscle, but the low volume and intensity will limit it. It would work very well as preparation for a more mass oriented bodybuilding routine, or as a break from other harder programs.

Also, the low volume and intensity is not going to burn a ton of calories, so for weight loss, the motto definitely applies, "It's the food!"
vgpedlr

Postby jamietwo » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:52 pm

Thanks for the info vgpedlr. I have a teenager who promotes no pain no gain, and I appreciate the reinforcement that I don't have to follow that premise!
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby vgpedlr » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:27 pm

If training in the gym is "your thing" by all means do what you like. If strength or bodybuilding is a hobby, then tougher workouts are in order. But you can only benefit from workouts you recover from. When you're in your teens and 20s your hormonal environment is such that you can get away with a lot. But as we age, our hormonal balance and levels shift so that recovery is trickier. We can't just train harder, we must train smarter. Not everyone wants to get bigger. Many folks just want to maintain muscle and have useful strength for enjoying life. For basic health and fitness, it doesn't take much. Just consistent, repeatable workouts. Time and adherence, as Star McDougallers say.

Even for folks that enjoy hard training, you can't do,it all the time. Easy Strength is a great way to take a break between more demanding programs and allow the body and mind time to heal and recover. Strength is not only maintained, but improves.
vgpedlr

Postby WeeSpeck » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:41 am

Hi Vgpedlr,

I enjoy reading your contributions to this forum.

I am a 57-year-old woman who is preparing to do her first Spartan Sprint at the encouragement of my son who has participated in a number of Tough Mudders and Spartans over the years. I am so not interested in the stress, both mental and physical, associated with these events, but I do think I will find value in the accomplishment of crossing the finish line in whatever manner that happens. That being said, my money has been paid and my race date is set, now to get started!

About two years ago, my husband and I converted our garage into a gym. My equipment consists of a treadmill, Bowflex, a pullup/jump box contraption, kettlebells and an ab wheel.

I have a sedentary job, but I walk about 2.5 miles on my lunch break. I use the bathroom on the 6th floor to get about 30 stairs a day. I work out in my home gym 6 days a week trying to alternate and include some form of aerobic, strength and balance.

Two days a week I do a treadmill run that amounts to about 2.92 miles including warm up and cool down. One day I do a Bowflex routine which cycles through shoulders, arms, back, and legs.

One day I do a Kettlebell routine including hip thrusts, overhead press, neck press, rows and twists. I am using a 25-pound Kettlebell. Getting the form correct is tricky for me. My hip thrusts often turn into back and arm powered swings instead of squats and hip leg powered swings. I know when I am doing it right though. I need to pay close attention to that detail so I don’t make my back suffer the consequences of my bad form.

One day I do a yoga routine.

Three days a week I use the ab wheel. This is a relatively new addition to my gym. I cannot fully extend yet without suffering from acute tummy tenderness. So, I have set a tape marker and extend it out a couple inches each week. I am up to 3 sets of 10. On the last repetition of each set I try to hold my plank for 5 seconds. I haven’t succeeded yet.

I try to do one day of core exercises including planks, leg lifts and cherry pickers. I can hold a plank for about 30-60 seconds but it is pretty shaky by the time I lower myself down to the ground. I might be able to do 3 solid man pushups although I have not tried in a while.

I would really like to improve my upper body strength. On the pull up bars, I can barely support my weight, just hanging with extended arms. Pulling my body up even a fraction of an inch, forget about it. I have a little better luck by placing the bars at waist height and supporting my weight on my forearms while lifting my legs up towards my body.

Anyway, I know I am not going to be able to do all the obstacles at the Spartan challenge. I know I cannot become physically strong enough in the time I have remaining to prepare. Mostly, I want to mentally prepare for this. Just showing up is going to be hard enough, being the old lady in an ocean of youth.

My motivation to exercise is so I grow old strong and balanced and flexible. I see it as an addendum to my diet and healthy lifestyle. My participation in the Spartan means more to my son than it does to me. I might feel differently about things on the other side. I don’t know. I’ve never tried anything like this before.

Thanks for starting this thread. I may have hijacked it but you motivated me to post. You sparked something by your content and encouragement that we should all get out there and exercise. It should be fun and interesting and varied.

I have a television in my gym and I either have Pandora playing or Netflix. It is amazing how much I look forward to getting on my treadmill when I have the next episode of my favorite show playing on the television. It makes exercising a pleasure instead of a chore.

Anyway, I’ve written a book. I would love your thoughts, suggestions or advice on my workout. I find value in your posts and exercise passion.

Thanks for reading.
--\--@ Nancy @--/--

I am but a wee speck in the big picture of the universe.
WeeSpeck

Postby vgpedlr » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:57 pm

Congrats on signing up for a big event. You'll have a blast regardless.

You didn't say how long you have to prepare, and I've never done an obstacle race, so take my suggestions with more than a grain of Mrs. Dash.

The one thing that jumps out at me is complexity. You're doing a lot of "stuff" and none of it very often. What I suggest is the opposite, do fewer things, do them often, and strive to do them better and better.

First, I would run more often, since Spartan races have a fair amount. Improving your running means having more energ to focus the obstacles.

For strength, you are really lucky to have a home gym, so convenient! I strongly suggest an Easy Strength routine that you do 4-5'days a week. Keep it simple, follow the program and practice each movement, and watch yourself get stronger without killing yourself.

Here is an example:

Warmup:
A few sets of KB swings alternating with goblet squats Aim for 25 swings and 10 goblets, broken up however. Really use the goblet squat to work on deep,range of motion and open up the hips. That takes care of your hinge and squat movements.

For the push, I recommend a push-up variation that you can do as 2X5 or 3X3. For the pull a great move is the TRX row. Buy or build suspension trainer and do body weight rows. By changing the angle of your body you make the exercise easier or harder. It's a great alternative to pull-ups, and a great antidote to,seated posture. I think bodyweight exercises are a good idea here because in the event you'll be manipulating your body a,lot.

Then do some loaded carries, either farmer's walks or suitcase carries. They are great core work, like a moving plank. Do five reps with the ab wheel and call it good.

Do that 4-5 times a week remembering to always keep a few reps in the tank and see how it feels. That might be all you need. If you feel like it, maybe add in a few planks, but every day. This program works because of frequency. So everything you do needs to be repeatable nearly every day.

The last thing would be to research what kinds of obstacles you will face. I believe they are somewhat standard? Maybe you can come up with some drill to help prepare.

That's how I would approach it.

Finally, for KB swings, check out Dan John's "goat bag/belly swings" a KB swing drill he invented. It takes the arms out of the move to focus on the hinge. Google it for videos. Another drill I read from Pavel is to loop a small hand towel through the KB handle and do your swings. The only way the KB will arc right is with a good hip snap. Otherwise it dangles a wet noodle.

Best of luck, stop by or PM with more questions. Better yet, read Dan John's work. He is a real coach, I just play one on the internet!
vgpedlr

Postby WeeSpeck » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:23 pm

Thank you very much for taking the time to outline a sample workout and give me feedback on how to prepare for the big event. I have just over 3 weeks, not long. Following your advice, I am going to change up my routine to incorporate your suggestions to see if I can gain a bit more stamina and body strength leading up to the race.

Realistically, I know that what I can accomplish in that short amount of time will not break any records, but it definitely will help put my head in the game. It is the Spartan Sprint, only 3.2 miles, so not too overwhelming. Here is what I summarized from your post (and my follow-on questions).

• Run more often
o Should I run the same 35 minutes (2.92 miles) I do now, but increase it to 4-5 days a week?
• Do 4-5 days of strength training

Warmup
• 25 kettle bell swings
• 10 goblet squats
o I had to google this. I have done these before and they were hard for me! I tried again today and realize I have become stronger and am better able to negotiate this movement with the proper form now. Ten is doable.

Push
• Pushup variation
• 2x5 or 3x3

Pull
• TRX row
o I had to google this and it looks very doable.
o I will need get the necessary equipment.

Loaded carries
• Suitcase Carries
o I tried something similar to this a couple years ago and threw out my back BAD. So, I need to be very careful with my form. I am stronger than I was then, but still very aware of injury.

Ab wheel
• 5 reps

Kettlebell
• Goat bag belly swing
o I had to google this. This looks easy enough and effective.
o How many?
• Hand towel swing
o I am looking forward to trying this out.

Plank daily

My son tells me that the Spartan obstacles will include stuff like wall climbing, rope climbing, pulling a weight to a height on a rope pully, smash balls, carrying a loaded container from one location to the next, overhead rings/bars, jump rope. I will take a look at the actual event and see what I have in store.

Anyway, I am starting to get excited, aside from the anxiety dreams. I think taking action and focusing on the goal will help me approach the day with confidence.

Thanks again for your input. It is very helpful.
--\--@ Nancy @--/--

WeeSpeck

Postby vgpedlr » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:48 am

So three weeks isn't a lot of time, but many Easy Strength participants notice their goals are met by week three, so you could definitely benefit.

OK, a three mile event and you're already running about the same distance, so you're good there. Probably doing the same run you've been doing three times a week would be plenty.

Easy Strength four times a week. It should only take about 20 min. Add in some mobility work that applies to you if you want. You should feel refreshed.

Keep the loads light. Quality of movement is much more important than how heavy you go. Start lighter or easier than you think and increase gradually. Think of each session as a practice, not a workout. Remember in school when your teacher said not to worry it was only a "practice test?" Remember how better it felt and it became almost fun to see what you could do? That's how I feel about ES.

You already have a pull-up bar, somadding suspension is easy. TRX is just one brand and expensive. There are cheaper options, and you can make your own. Suitcase carry, go light. Walk slowly, focus on keeping everything tight and together, like a plank. The instant anything wobbles, stop and rest. Goblets are great mobility. Do them without weight then add weigh when movement is dialed.

Those obstacles sound crazy. I don't have any idea how people train for them. But since they're so popular there must be some ideas on the internet about how to prepare.

You'll have a blast. Who knows? Maybe you'll find a new passion or hobby. Regardless, it'll be a great experience. If it's not for you, come back to ES and use the time you save to find some other trouble to get into!

MORE isn't always better, it's just MORE.
vgpedlr

Postby vgpedlr » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:57 am

Looking again at your obstacle list I see a lot of pulling movements. So if you feel the need to add anything, that might help. Grip strength and endurance will also factor in, and pulling moves and loaded carries work great for the grip. As a mountain biker, grip strength is really important on long or technical downhills, and I found great benefit from loaded carries in my ability to stay in control when it got crazy.

Something I've read about from Dan John, and he gets it from others as well, is hanging from a bar for time. Both hanging from the bottom and top position of a pull-up or chin-up have benefit. I have not tried these yet, so I can't comment. But they look interesting, y of may want to investigate further.
vgpedlr

Postby vgpedlr » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:25 pm

I asked the Dan John gang and they reinforced what I already thought, pulling, grip, and running. And added something I did not know about, the penalty for missed obstacles are burpees. So you might want to practice those too.

Here is an article that goes into more depth. I just skimmed it, but it looks pretty in-depth.

https://www.otpbooks.com/joe-distefano-obstacle-course-racing/

Have a great time, and please post back bout how it goes.
vgpedlr

Postby WeeSpeck » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:29 pm

Thank you for the link to the obstacle course racing. I am definitely in the “How to Survive a Spartan” category. I have saved off the regiment for doing just that. It is a lot to strive for in 3 weeks, but I will find value in plugging away at it even after this event comes and goes, until I can do it all correctly and effortlessly. It may take me several years. Ha!

Yes, the burpees. I’ve heard about that penalty. 30 for a failed obstacle? I better get practicing daily. I think I will be doing a lot of burpees. I can say for certain that I will not be able to get across hanging rings or overhead bars, yet. One day.

I started my new routine today. My son came over and asked if I wanted to do a 4-mile trail run through the neighborhood and park. There is a lot of horse paths, hills, slopes and different types of terrain. I took him up on that offer. Oh my, it was really challenging!

It was so different from the controlled environment on the treadmill inside a fan cooled gym. It has been so warm, unseasonably warm and that brought a whole other layer to my running skills. I ran maybe half of it, with a lot of walking in between. I was a little disappointed, but not discouraged. I just realize I have more work to do.

I also asked him to watch me do a goblet squat to check for correct form. I am finding that when I get down to my lowest point that I am curling forward and coming up in a squiggly body roll. He suggested I first start with my shoulders thrust back and my back straight to ensure that I am not hunched forward to start. Then he said to pick a spot on the ceiling and never take my eyes off of it, which will keep me from rolling forward. He also corrected my foot position. I had them completely pointing out instead of forward.

Once I put all those suggestions in place, I could see how my legs and core did the work to bring me back to a standing position, but it took some work to do it right. Then I could only do a few of them before I wanted to start rolling forward again. Again, I have my work cut out for me. I will practice those daily until they come naturally to me.

I used my pull bar straps to do the TRX rows. At first it seemed too easy, but by the time I got to a count of 25, I could definitely feel the fatigue setting in. I wasn’t at a very steep angle, so I can adjust that as necessary.

I tried my pushups but I think I need to google and study more on how to do those right. I find I am laying my lower legs down to the floor and using that as leverage before lowering my upper body and rising back up again. I think I am going to have to do a modified pushup for a while until I can do the full plank pushup.

What I realized in this short session today is that I have definitely been in my comfort zone the last several months. I had my day-to-day schedule of activity, but never really pushed myself outside my fixed routine, thus never challenged my body to become stronger. I moved. I got my heart rate up, but I haven’t really progressed in a lot of months.

This feels good, but at the same time, I came to the realization today that I am so not prepared for an event of this caliber. I won’t let that deter me though. I will do what I can leading up to the race and accomplish what is doable in the moment.

I only wish I had discovered earlier how good it feels to be strong and have stamina and to trust my body to not fail me. I am happy that I still have that option and starting late is better than not starting at all.
--\--@ Nancy @--/--

WeeSpeck

Postby vgpedlr » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:05 pm

Your post practically brings tears to my eyes, because . .

You get it.

I wish I figured it out as quickly. Work on the basic human movements with Easy Strength, work on basic aerobic function with Easy Endurance, and fill it out with specific add-ones needed. In this case what you will find on a Spartan course.

After the event, decide what you want to work on and do that for several weeks. Strength training is powerful medicine, so it works best in small, frequent doses so as not to overwhelm the system. Think of it as a skill. If you want to get better at a skill, should you practice once a week? Twice a week? Every day? Choose a dose that allows the most frequent practice and you will get better.

BTW, be careful with looking up at the ceiling when squatting. It often leads to over extension of the back. A neutral spine is the goal, so gazing out at the floor of wall a few meters away is best.
vgpedlr

Postby WeeSpeck » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:10 pm

Day 2 is in the books and boy did I feel it when I got on the treadmill to do my run. My legs felt so fatigued from yesterday’s workout. But, as I continued my pace, they warmed up and I was able to finish.

I did another session of Easy Strength training, going through all the different sets. I paid particularly close attention to my form. In fact, I went back to a much lighter kettlebell to make sure that I was doing it right on the swings.

Thank you for the advice not to look up at the ceiling while doing the goblet squats. I can see how that might over extend my back. I am really careful when it comes to my back. I never want to go through a spasming back again. That was extremely painful. So, I listen carefully whenever it comes to protecting it.

I focused forward on a spot on the wall behind me (while looking in the mirror). I checked my form and my back was straight. I am satisfied that I am doing them correctly now.

In that 20-minute strength session, I worked my whole body harder than I have in any 60+ minute sessions. I was drenched in sweat and I felt like a noodle from top to toe. Yet, at the same time I felt like I had accomplished something. I didn’t feel like I did damage. So rewarding!!

I can totally see what you are saying about using our own body to work our core muscles and gain strength. It takes minimal equipment to do most of these exercises and yet so effective.

After a short break, I went to my kitchen to wrangle a butternut squash. That is a workout in itself. I am roasting some beets, fennel root, butternut squash. To that I am adding marinated lime/oregano tofu, brown basmati rice, dolloped with a few walnuts, garlic, balsamic and cilantro. Power food! I’m hungry.
--\--@ Nancy @--/--

WeeSpeck

Postby vgpedlr » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:24 am

Remember, it's called EASY Strength, not DIFFICULT strength. Finish every set well before fatigue sets in. This is so every movement is a conscious practice. Always feel like you could do more. A little soreness the first few days is OK as it usually reflects unaccustomed range of motion and should go away soon. When in doubt, go easier, and build it up later.

Exercises that force the body to work as one unit are the secret, whether bodyweight, barbell, KB, sandbag, whatever. That's how we move in real life. That's one reason why yoga is so brilliant. The asanas require the whole body to participate, not just an isolated muscle group. Some of the Spartan racers remarked that mobility practice was very important, as it's inevitable that you'll find yourself in some awkward positions.

Yes, hacking butternut squats is quite a workout. Not aware of an butternut squash exercise DVD, but maybe on YouTube.
vgpedlr

Next

Return to Exercise and Fitness