Finally through the Pilates Reformer I love exercising...

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Finally through the Pilates Reformer I love exercising...

Postby patty » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:02 am

Around 1/17/17 I received the Pilates Reformer that I ordered from QVC. My son was worried I wouldn't be able to set it up, but it was a snap. The postal service had delivered it to my front door, that would have been the only problem as even though it pretty much is assembled it was very heavy. Marjolein shared after the first time you would feel the difference, and for the first time in my life I felt like i was standing full stature. She then shares in 10 days, you would really feel the effect and 20 days others will see the difference. I had ordered the stand, but after putting it together I canceled it as working in home care it is all about fall precautions. So being able to get safely down to the floor and up again is actually worth the whole experience.

On one of the promotion QVC's host Dan shares how great it is exercising while laying down:) Marjolein shares it was the genius of Joe Pilates knew that when laying down all the muscles are relaxed. She shares he said, doing pilates reformer was exercising inside out. The exercises works the stabilizing muscles as the mobilizing muscles through the cords. The one I purchased is a four cord machine, but I also purchased the two red cords and yellow cord. One red cord equals two black cords and the yellow 1/2 a cord. I don't quite understand how it works as yet. Marjolein shares the yellow cord is the miracle cord because of the resistance, works the core more.

Marjolein was a runner, and from some type injury she began recovery with Pilates. She experienced feet fractures from running, so she had to find something she could do till she was in her 90s. So they developed the rebounder, which she feels is revolutionary because of the cardio effect without any impact on the knees and back. For myself it is challenging:) Marjolein shares with the rebound she was able to get rid of the pooch (the lower part of the stomach) from giving birth.

I also purchase the neck pillow and pull up bar for the arms. Hopefully I will loose the 'pooch' on my arms. What i love about the Pilates Reformer it was created as a rehab for dancers, athletes and it works for the obese. My 4 cord Pilates reformer holds up to 300 lbs and the 5 cord holds up to 350. Before when I would traditionally tired to exercise I always spiraled up and then through out the day my energy would drop. This doesn't happen with the Pilates Reformer. Now I can exercise every day and i look forward to it and feel the benefits through out the day. Finally at 74 I have found what works:)

Aloha, patty
patty

Re: Finally through the Pilates Reformer I love exercising..

Postby patty » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:06 pm

The more I understand about the Pilates Reformer and while exercising on it daily I am amazed at the strength and flexibility of my back. In my work as a home health aide I witness over and over it is the middle of the back that breaks down first. Now I have a way to strengthen my back with flexibility. What I love about the Pilates Reformer is as Marjolein shares a large overweight person with bad knees can get down and exercise. The 5 cord Pilates Reformer supports 350 lbs. It is the same principle as being starch based where money isn't a issue, as someone with limited income can be healthy without being financially challenged. I would love to donate one to the school my daughter in-law and son work at. I feel the way we have be taught to exercise, is totally off as the way we are taught to eat. And witnessing how my Client's who have been injured by exercise reaffirms it.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby patty » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:19 am

Finally I heard from one of my son's with the Pilates Reformer, no soreness... this son is a runner, biker, surfer, wind surfer, and does yoga. He is the youngest and always has loved veggies. When I first offered gifting him the Pilates Reformer he said, "No", but when I asked about my daughter in-law he said, "She likes to walk." She gave birth to their second child five months ago, and when I asked her, she said her knees were sore from walking. I loved hearing in one of the QVC videos, Marjolein being a runner for 40 years telling about the effects of running after giving birth, holding her breasts and Kristin sharing there was nothing to hold the stomach, when a caller had asked if being top heavy would be a problem as she had to wear 4 bras running, on the Pilates Reformer.

Seeing my son and daughter in-law are teachers, I would love to donate a Pilates Reformer to their school. Now I have to wait to hear from my daughter and her family. Now they have the son who participated in the Molokai Hoe Canoe Race, where they paddled from Molokai to Oahu. She had expressed she would have liked a rower.. but that can be done on the Pilates Reformer. With their Pilates Reformer I purchased the pull up bar, which tones the arms. It mimics doing chin pull ups in the door way, only with the support of the body, as it is supported by the Pilates Reformer as you are laying down. No longer are you fighting gravity. Hopefully it will be my daughter and son in-aw who really see the benefits as they are aging. My daughter was going to a acupuncturist because of her hip. And my son in-law in helping lifting his dad from falls from Parkinson's, where one he had got tangled under the recliner, hurt his neck. And of course from surfing as my older son.. shoulders have been hurt.

I can't believe they now are advertising joint replacement on TV. They show a boxer punching a bag. One thing that really resonates with the Pilates Reformer it is a stress reducer. Marjolein shares she has become kinder. I am so happy.. I found something that fits the puzzle of food, exercise and sleep. As Marjolein shares if used in the morning it energies and in the evening relaxes. You can jump on for five minutes in-between cooking or doing other chores. Hopefully that will be true with my daughter as she is the primary caregiver of her mother in-law who has AL and was with her father in-law. For Valentines day I got her a Fitbit Charger 2 from QVC. Hopefully it will arrive that day. They most important gift though is AL and Parkinson's will be eradicated from her family.

Of course the child I really targeted the Pilates Reformer..who has a whole lanai filled with exercise equipment and has been injured from surfing.. I haven't heard anything about it being set up and used. I didn't ask permission in purchasing the Pilates Reformer for him, I just ordered it and sent it to his home. Ideally it is to be set up inside where you have the connivence to use it. Breaking that old style macho type of exercising is a challenge, but he has four daughters and with his wife there is hope with the feedback from my youngest son and his wife. His excuse as I heard at first from the others there is no room, but it folds up, where it can be put under a bed or behind a door etc as it is a hand wide when folded. One of the daughters, followed her brother in wrestling, is doing really well and has a chance to compete in the all state championships might be the key. I am helping her with her driving.. acquiring hours to get her license. My grandson is in the mainland as he in the throws of his new career in engineering. But when he comes home I know he will try it.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby patty » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:40 am

Update... with my oldest son there is some resistance with the Pilates.. my youngest says it is probably because of "the no pain no gain" motto. At first he said on his total gym the same kind of exercises can be done.. so I checked the total gym exercise chart .. and all I saw was incline exercises. On QVC this was addressed from a caller.

33:30 Question about total gym. Is incline necessary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSUoc8-ysEk&t=2092s

Caller: Am I going to miss the incline?

Marjolein: Let’s talk about incline. Joe Pilates believed, this is really true, that flat was key because #1, when I am training my knees that maybe were injured, you know his dancers were injured or you have imbalances in your body, one shoulder is higher on one side then the other or you are stronger on one side then the other, if you put your body weight on those muscles, those imbalances stay there. If I lie you down and take gravity away, take your body weight away and the machine takes over, now the weak muscles are going to get stronger the tight muscles get longer and all of sudden you get off the first time and you going to see Wow I look, I stand and feel completely different. So it is important to be flat. We could have started incline on our machines but we don’t want too.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby patty » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:23 am

Still enjoying, and can hardly wait to workout each day on my aeropilates reformer.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby patty » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:58 am

I got off track:) My grandson went away to college, and my granddaughter is staying with me during the week while she goes to college. I made a agreement with my daughter that we would exercise three times a week and extra when one of them is testing. I am enjoying exercising again. My granddaughter had her first test yesterday. And she aced it. I was listening to Dr. Greger, "How Not to Die", and she asked what book are you listening too? She shared how he explains biology where it is really easy to understand. That is her major, and she shared she will help me understand things like telomeres?

I love listening to audio books, while exercising on the reformer as it has no impact on the joints while exercising the stabilizing muscles and the mobilizing muscles that create the stretching and flexibility. I will have to check on my daughter to see how she is doing.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby patty » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:29 pm

This morning I was listening to "Biology of Belief" by Bruce Lipton. I loved how he was sharing we can't be in growth and protection at the same time and the importance of our perception of the environment around us. My endurance seems to be increasing without any stress. I am grateful Joe Pilates created the reformer to exercise inside out. While on the reformer I was listening to Nora Coffey's interview with Christine Kent as I suggested to someone they should listen to grasp how much we need energy medicine vs chemical and cutting into ourselves. On the Pilates rebounder I did 400 reps.

Aloha, Patty

This is how The areopilates reformer with the rebounder looks like. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zZxepr6zyAg
patty

Postby greentea » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:29 pm

Patty, that's awesome! I'm glad to hear that the reformer is working out for you.
greentea

Return to Exercise and Fitness