Looking to Build Muscle

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Looking to Build Muscle

Postby mkh9 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:06 pm

Yes I am doing two days of weight training and two days of light cardio. I am working up to it. I do bicycle and rowing. So, I will increase the time on those when I can handle it. I am staying on the McDoughall diet now that I think I finally have it right thanks to help on here and on the Facebook site. My trainer is fine with whatever diet. He knows I am vegan. He is the one that said I wasn't eating right. I then looked for answers. It was true I was eating way too many carbs and hardly any greens. So I fixed that and feel better. It is hard to switch when you get stuck in a wrong path. I thought I had it right too. LOL. But I actually am doing better over all and losing weight when I couldn't lose any before. The calories just came off due to the increase in greens instead of a lot of starch's and I was eating a lot of bread and pasta. Also, too much fat via nuts. I just need the confidence booster that now that I am on this diet I can still have the energy and strength to go forward. It has been a long road for me.

mkh9
mkh9

Postby mkh9 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:21 pm

Hi group,
So Now I have lost all the weight I want. I lost 20 lbs and am at about 19-20% body fat. I am female so at my most athletic I was 19%. So that is fine with me. I like lifting weights since I can't play tennis and jog right now. I will try to get back into jogging maybe a little at a time. First an update: So I read a lot of things on here about protein and so forth and so am a bit confused because what is working for me is a bit different than what Dr. McDougall says to do almost...

I am now lifting weights 4 times a week and that is great. I want to incorporate more cardio though. I am doing the McDougall rapid weight loss plan but have put back in 2 servings of nuts, and 2 days a week avocado. The rest is correct except it looks like I need to increase veggies to have equal plant to starch ratio. I eat two TBS of flaxseed a day and am going into menopause. Before I started this exercise and diet I was sitting on the couch all day with a back injury and knee injury and osteoporsis of the hip and osteopenia of the spine. I couldn't get up the stairs in the gym.

I eat 1800-1900 calories a day and stay at 126 lbs. BMI is 19.7. I am 54 years old and 5'7" I can now deadlift 95 lbs 5 sets 6 reps and do like 45 pound bench press (2- 22.5 lb dumbells) etc.

My blood work looks great but I found before I ate the omega 3 flax seed my husband's and my cholesterol wouldn't not go down and the HDL wasn't good and the rest of the profile. So I went from a cholesterol of 200 to after flax seed is 130. So I don't know. I saw that Dean Ornish said that vegans need the Omega 3 or we have a huge heart attack risk. Look his video or read it. There is a conflict here and myself and my husband's blood work shows the results. So the only problem is my waist is okay 26" but the belly below is still there. The rest of me looks great except my skin is still very dry and after weight loss even though only 20 lbs it is saggy or crinkly? I can't explain. The dry skin may be the menopause. I wish I knew what to do . I would cut back on the oils but my skin is so bad. so I don't know where to go with this?

I also read on here people had new articles that had IGF1 is bad for cancer that growth hormone raises your cancer risk BUT not with vegans. The studies that were done were not on plant based diets. So I am using Jeff's 0.8 g/Kg I think it is calculation for athletes (even though I'm not really an athlete) and that is for me 95g of protein a day (this includes some protein powder in almond milk). This is not on the diet. So of course I want to follow the diet but don't want more calories . Then the thing is I am doing so much better weight lifting with just a small increase in protein at my age.

Any thoughts on all this?

mkh9
mkh9

Postby Yomom » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:02 pm

mkh9 wrote:Hi group,
So Now I have lost all the weight I want. I lost 20 lbs and am at about 19-20% body fat. I am female so at my most athletic I was 19%. So that is fine with me. I like lifting weights since I can't play tennis and jog right now. I will try to get back into jogging maybe a little at a time. First an update: So I read a lot of things on here about protein and so forth and so am a bit confused because what is working for me is a bit different than what Dr. McDougall says to do almost...

I am now lifting weights 4 times a week and that is great. I want to incorporate more cardio though. I am doing the McDougall rapid weight loss plan but have put back in 2 servings of nuts, and 2 days a week avocado. The rest is correct except it looks like I need to increase veggies to have equal plant to starch ratio. I eat two TBS of flaxseed a day and am going into menopause. Before I started this exercise and diet I was sitting on the couch all day with a back injury and knee injury and osteoporsis of the hip and osteopenia of the spine. I couldn't get up the stairs in the gym.

I eat 1800-1900 calories a day and stay at 126 lbs. BMI is 19.7. I am 54 years old and 5'7" I can now deadlift 95 lbs 5 sets 6 reps and do like 45 pound bench press (2- 22.5 lb dumbells) etc.

My blood work looks great but I found before I ate the omega 3 flax seed my husband's and my cholesterol wouldn't not go down and the HDL wasn't good and the rest of the profile. So I went from a cholesterol of 200 to after flax seed is 130. So I don't know. I saw that Dean Ornish said that vegans need the Omega 3 or we have a huge heart attack risk. Look his video or read it. There is a conflict here and myself and my husband's blood work shows the results. So the only problem is my waist is okay 26" but the belly below is still there. The rest of me looks great except my skin is still very dry and after weight loss even though only 20 lbs it is saggy or crinkly? I can't explain. The dry skin may be the menopause. I wish I knew what to do . I would cut back on the oils but my skin is so bad. so I don't know where to go with this?

I also read on here people had new articles that had IGF1 is bad for cancer that growth hormone raises your cancer risk BUT not with vegans. The studies that were done were not on plant based diets. So I am using Jeff's 0.8 g/Kg I think it is calculation for athletes (even though I'm not really an athlete) and that is for me 95g of protein a day (this includes some protein powder in almond milk). This is not on the diet. So of course I want to follow the diet but don't want more calories . Then the thing is I am doing so much better weight lifting with just a small increase in protein at my age.

mkh9

mkh9,Your weight is 126 pounds which is 57kg. That means that using Jeff's suggested intake number of 0.8g protein/kg body weight, you need 57kg x 0.8g/kg = 46g protein.
Yomom

Postby greentea » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:13 am

mkh9 wrote:Hi group,

mkh9

Congrats on reaching your goals! I know how hard you have worked to get there. I suspect that menopause might be causing you dry skin, that's been my experience. I've done some online research and it is one of the list of things that can happen with menopause, one of the many :-( I have some of that crinkly skin in spots, but it did slowly get better with time, but I don't know if that will be your experience.
greentea

Postby mkh9 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:29 pm

Hi, thanks. I'm actually using his article http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/E ... lly%20Need?
This has a variety of sources. I am using the "Protein for endurance and strenth-trained athletes range (which is the top amount of protein allowed) I am doing Protein recommendations for strenth training at my maximum ability all the time. So I may or may not be considered an athlete. But the calculation is 1.2-1.7 g/kg body weight per day. This is for me 127 lb 57kg x 1.7 g/kg max =96.9
I find that I am doing much better in strength training. I read from several articles that the IGF1 goes up or is bad when you are not active and also not vegan. So, I am trying not to worry about it. It is probably better than me being sedentary.

As for the dry or crinkly skin. I hate it. I hope it goes away or I can find a estrogen substitute that won't cause blood clots.

Thanks,
Mkh9
mkh9

Postby mkh9 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:48 pm

Hi all,
After much reading and trying things out for myself, I did read Jeff articles etc. too on diet. I also read others on the IGF1 issue but that seems to not effect people on plant based diets from what I have read only meat eaters. So I am taking in more protein and I am doing better with weight lifting and building muscle and a tiny bit better with recovery but not much. I just seem to have more endurance. So I am doing the wrong thing which is eating a plant based protein powder before and after my workout and that is against the rules. But then I am going to try to change to eating more Tempeh and things like that especially after a workout to lessen the amount of unnatural protein. I am using one that is supposed to be pretty well known so I hope that is okay since they don't regulate them. Everyone has their own reasons for doing things. Mine is that 1. working out at the gym (weights) and walking are the only two things I can do with my injuries, 2. it is better than not doing it and sitting and I have osteoporsis of the hip and osteopenia of the spine. So I think weight bearing exercises are helpful. So we will see how the change in diet plus weights over the last two years have helped as I'm going to get a bone density soon. Wish me luck. I did read on Jeff's diet notes that the National Academy of Science recommends for stength training athletes about 1.2-1.7g/kg protein for gram of body weight. so I am getting about that much or less . I am 127 and eat about 75-90g of protein a day. 40 grams are from the plant protein powder. The rest is diet. Lots of beans , whole grains etc.
regards,
mkh9
mkh9

Previous

Return to Exercise and Fitness