Teacher arms

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Teacher arms

Postby Plumerias » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:36 pm

Lani, can you discuss exercises for "teacher arms" please. You know, the unsightly looseness in the upper arm that always showed when an overweight teacher wrote on the blackboard. Even chunky I had no problems with it when I still had a house and a yard and garden to care for, but as I no longer do, well, the results aren't pleasant. I live in a very small space and in no fixed location, so large equipment or going to a gym are not options. Also, I seem to have pissed off my shoulder doing some overhead weight exercises. DH, who once worked in orthopedics suggests bursitis (oh joy). Can you address that as well please. Exercising safely without such an injury. I have a set of five pound hand weights. Thanks.
Plumerias

Re: Teacher arms

Postby Lani Muelrath » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:14 pm

Plumerias wrote:Lani, can you discuss exercises for "teacher arms" please. You know, the unsightly looseness in the upper arm that always showed when an overweight teacher wrote on the blackboard. Even chunky I had no problems with it when I still had a house and a yard and garden to care for, but as I no longer do, well, the results aren't pleasant. I live in a very small space and in no fixed location, so large equipment or going to a gym are not options. Also, I seem to have pissed off my shoulder doing some overhead weight exercises. DH, who once worked in orthopedics suggests bursitis (oh joy). Can you address that as well please. Exercising safely without such an injury. I have a set of five pound hand weights. Thanks.

Plumerias,

Triceps are a common target area of concern, you're right. And we are usually dealing with 2 things here, accumulation of body fat and deconditioned triceps muscle.

Here's an article and 2 exercises that are my 'go to's' for triceps, along with pushups and planks:

How To Tame Those Triceps: My Top Two Moves For Triceps

Gotta love 'em!

Lani
Lani Muelrath

Return to Exercise and Fitness