Anti-glycolytic+Aerobic training=Easy Strength and Endurance

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Anti-glycolytic+Aerobic training=Easy Strength and Endurance

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:16 am

Below is summary article on a "new" form of training. Below that is quote I pulled from forum discussion on same topic. I have been training this way for nearly a year with excellent results. I have gained some muscle, lost a little fat, overall changed my body comp, and noticeably increased my calorie burn. I do kettlebell ballistics 4-6 days/week and depending on how I feel, the other days I use Maffetone MAF and do either bike ride or Nordic walking. Generally I have been able to work out almost every day with no burn out and no injuries. And that is even though I have terribly disrupted sleep. For reference, the Russian Olympic judo team trains mostly this way.

Understanding Why “Less Is More” with Anti-Glycolytic Training
--------------------------------------
From StrongFirst.com forum post:
“The big thing to remember here is that we're looking to avoid an environment in which the glycolytic energy pathway is the dominant contributor to ATP restoration. Heart rate and breathing rate are "windows" into what systems we're using to fuel our activities.

Breathing can be an indicator of whether or not we're going deeply glycolytic. If you can't control your breathing during exercise (rate, depth or type (nasal vs. mouth)) you're probably going glycolytic.

Oxygen demand is not the stimulus of respiration rate and/or volume during higher intensity training, it is CO2 build up... SO, to link oxygen and breathing is a bit of a mistake unless we're talking really long, slow distance work. Breathing also can be "disconnected" from heart rate to a certain extent in this context... really good "breathers" (@aciampa) can be deeply glycolytic and still maintain good, reasonably paced nasal breathing...

As far as Anti-Glycolytic training goes, if you can do some high power training and NOT see your heart rate EXCEED a certain point, you can be pretty sure that you're not going into glycolysis to fuel your activity... this is where the Maffetone method hits the nail on the head.”
----------------------------
GeoffreyLevens

Return to Exercise and Fitness