That last bit of belly Fat

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

That last bit of belly Fat

Postby Earl_UK » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:34 am

OO this is a stubborn bit and compared to the rest (which practically fell of) its taking much longer to go. Any tips on specifically trimming it off and toning the abs?
Earl_UK

Re: That last bit of belly Fat

Postby Skip » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:26 am

sit ups
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby Theresaheartplants » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:58 pm

bodyweight core exercises work great like planks, but also kettlebells. They blast fat in a really short amount of workout time and tone the core with every move. My favorite!
Theresaheartplants

Postby calvin » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:31 pm

Is it not well established by now that diet is 5 times more effective than exercise when it comes to weight loss.
Reduce/eliminate dietary sources of fat.
Reduce/eliminate calorie-dense foods.
Rinse and repeat.
Kettlebells? Meh. But do review what's in your kettles. 8)
calvin

Postby vgpedlr » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:18 am

Theresaheartplants wrote:bodyweight core exercises work great like planks, but also kettlebells. They blast fat in a really short amount of workout time and tone the core with every move. My favorite!

Core exercises like planks will have a negligible impact on body fat. They just don't burn many calories. They could help with muscle tone and posture though. Kettlebell training can burn a ton of calories depending on individual skill, exercises and routines, used, etc. intensity is key, and lots of folks don't go hard enough.
vgpedlr

Postby roundcoconut » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:52 pm

I seldom chime in here, but my experience with remaining pockets of fat on the body, is that I had to just lower my body fat (lower my body weight).

The way my body is set up, the first place I store my fat reserves is in the saddlebag area of the thigh. And then, if I were to get heavier, I would distribute fat into other places as well.

For me to NOT have little fat reserves in the thighs, it is easiest to reduce my overall body fat (which reduces my overall weight). Doing this is just about lowering calorie density (thus lowering caloric load) and/or raising total energy expenditure (more steps, more activity).

Other parts of your body may seem overly skinny to you at first, when you reach the low body fat levels required to make those belly fat reserves go away. And there's nothing we can do about that, except dress to trick the eye (the clothing you wear, and the styles you choose), or (not my favorite but gym people like to do this kind of thing) do weight training to put more muscle on parts that don't have much fat.

I don't know. Someone chime in and tell me I'm making some sense. :)
roundcoconut

Postby petmomful » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:33 pm

My issue is belly fat, as well. And I had 4 kids! I did lots of crunches when I was young. The problem now is that, with my bad neck, I can no longer do things that strain my neck to work my abs. I am looking for an ab exercise that will NOT strain my neck area. Any ideas? I am also lowering my overall body weight, as well. :-o
petmomful

Postby greentea » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:08 pm

petmomful wrote:My issue is belly fat, as well. And I had 4 kids! I did lots of crunches when I was young. The problem now is that, with my bad neck, I can no longer do things that strain my neck to work my abs. I am looking for an ab exercise that will NOT strain my neck area. Any ideas? I am also lowering my overall body weight, as well. :-o

A couple of exercises that come to mind are planks and various leg raises as seen here. https://verilymag.com/2013/03/no-crick- ... -your-neck I think these exercises shouldn't cause you any neck pain.
Core strengthening exercises are excellent, but targeting your abs won't make you lose the belly fat. Losing weight will do that. Exercise will help to burn extra calories and tone up the muscles you are working on, but you can't target an area specifically to lose fat. And sadly, for women especially, the abs, bum and thigh areas always seem to be the last places that want to give up the extra fat.
greentea

Postby petmomful » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:28 pm

Thank you greentea, I will check those out to tighten up my ab muscles!
petmomful

Return to Exercise and Fitness